• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Got a new computer

fooligan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The pee stains bothered me, with the other one... :shock:

So I got a Sony Vaio VGC-RC210G (mine boasts 360 GB HD)

And a 19" Samsung Monitor. Twists 90 degrees :D

Bah I'm just bragging. **** me.:rofl

Wow, very nice!

I have been meaning to ask yah, didn't that dog win the "ugliest dog in the world" contest last year? (your avatar) It's taken me awhile to figure that out...

Cool.

Always fun.
I got myself a new one for Christ mass and built a new one for soem friends. Geeky fun for me.

vauge said:
I have been meaning to ask yah, didn't that dog win the "ugliest dog in the world" contest last year? (your avatar) It's taken me awhile to figure that out...

Yes indeed... if only my rott had a face like that :mrgreen:

Re: Computer Security

My friend is building me a computer, here is the list of merchandise I purchased, if someone who knows can tell me if this thing is gonna rock? I had it built specifically for gaming, I am a COD gamer head, tell me what you think?

VGA EVGA 7800GT 256-P2-N519-AX RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$349.00)
MB EVGA 133-K8-NF41 NF4SLI 939 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$129.00)
>PSU ATHENA|AP-P4ATX40F 400W RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$27.99)
CD-R VERBATIM|700MB 25PK 95028 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$6.99)
CD/DVD ACCESS LEGACY|CAKEBOX100 R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$7.00)
CPU THERMPASTE|ARCTIC SILVER5 3.5G% - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$5.99)
CASE LINKWD|431-10 C2228 BK/SL RTL - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$24.00)
DVD+R TDK 16X DVD+R47FCB50 50PK - Retail (Qty=2, Price=$39.98)
CPU AMD 64 |3200+ ATHLON 64 939P RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$166.00)
MEM 1G|COR VS1GB400C3 184P R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$71.34)
HD 80G|HITC 7K 8M SATA2 0A30356 % - OEM (Qty=2, Price=$100.00)
Discount FOR 14-130-277&13-188-002 (Qty=1, Price=$-129.00)
Discount FOR 17-130-960&27-993-001 (Qty=1, Price=$-7.00)

I'll add the one I am having built here as well, tell me what you think, it's designed to be a gaming computer...............

Deegan said:
I'll add the one I am having built here as well, tell me what you think, it's designed to be a gaming computer...............
Well, it looks nice, of course.
Have you looked into the 10k rpm hds? I picked one up and man! What a difference it makes. Even though I knew that the hd was a bottle neck, I had no idea how much of one.
Of course, it's about the same price as your hd but only about 36G instead of 80.

Simon W. Moon said:
Have you looked into the 10k rpm hds? I picked one up and man! What a difference it makes. Even though I knew that the hd was a bottle neck, I had no idea how much of one.
Of course, it's about the same price as your hd but only about 36G instead of 80.

Well he tells me the two 80 gigs will work as one, if that makes any sense, I don't know much about the parts, I just sign the checks.;)

Simon W. Moon said:

Also, you may want to invest in a power cleaner / voltage regulator. Usually, you can find them coupled w/ UPSs. They do come separately, but the price difference isn't enough to justify not getting the battery as well.

I'd've spent another $10 - $15 on the PSU and gotten dual lines.

It looks like you'll have power supply issues:
re you vid card
Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)
And you've only bought a 400W.

Don't skimp on the PSU cause it carries everything else and can be transferred from box to box as your computer grows. Let me pick one out for you.

Your power supply doesn't have SLI support! It will not work w/ you vid card even if it had enough watts.

Plan on exchaning it.

Simon W. Moon said:
Also, you may want to invest in a power cleaner / voltage regulator. Usually, you can find them coupled w/ UPSs. They do come separately, but the price difference isn't enough to justify not getting the battery as well.

I'd've spent another $10 - $15 on the PSU and gotten dual lines.

It looks like you'll have power supply issues:
re you vid card
Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)
And you've only bought a 400W.

Don't skimp on the PSU cause it carries everything else and can be transferred from box to box as your computer grows. Let me pick one out for you.

Thank you, I will mention this to him immediately !!!!!!!

The case you're getting has a power supply in it!

It's still not a big enough power supply and is unlikely to have SLI support.

Just thought you should know that you're set to have 2 power supplies delivered and neither one will work for you.

Simon W. Moon said:
The case you're getting has a power supply in it!

It's still not a big enough power supply and is unlikely to have SLI support.

Just thought you should know that you're set to have 2 power supplies delivered and neither one will work for you.

Tell me what you think, he says that we are not planning to have two video cards, so we don't need SLI? He also says he knew it came with one, but those are often really cheap, and that is why he got the extra one. I also can't talk him in to getting one that is 450 watts, he tells me that is only if you're interested in getting two video cards, but it does say 450 minimum, so what's up?

And thanks again for taking the time, I appreciate your input.;)

Deegan said:
Tell me what you think, he says that we are not planning to have two video cards, so we don't need SLI? He also says he knew it came with one, but those are often really cheap, and that is why he got the extra one. I also can't talk him in to getting one that is 450 watts, he tells me that is only if you're interested in getting two video cards, but it does say 450 minimum, so what's up?

And thanks again for taking the time, I appreciate your input.;)
I'll have to get back w/ you. SLI is fairly recent development. I don't have one of my own. I'm curious enough to investigate what he's saying. After chores, I'll hit Tom's Hardware and Ananda and see what the SD is.

Didn't look it up too thoroughly, but I did find that some folks have gotten away w/ a fair bit less power than what the manufacturer suggests.

I don't guess there's much chance of harming your card or your board if you don't have enough power. I suspect that if you're going to have power supply problems you either won't be able to boot, or you'll have occasional, odd, random glitches that could seem to come erratically from a variety of components - first from this one then the next.
So, the first thing to think about is how far away does your friend live?

Second, thing to think about: Do you plan on ever getting another card to go with this one? The beauty of SLI is that you can combine multiple GPUs.
A good power supply can last you several years. If you get an additional card, you'll have to turn around and buy another power supply at that point.

I don't think it'll hurt to try the psu you've got coming. It may well work just fine. Hope your friend lives near by if it doesn't.

Simon W. Moon said:
Didn't look it up too thoroughly, but I did find that some folks have gotten away w/ a fair bit less power than what the manufacturer suggests.

I don't guess there's much chance of harming your card or your board if you don't have enough power. I suspect that if you're going to have power supply problems you either won't be able to boot, or you'll have occasional, odd, random glitches that could seem to come erratically from a variety of components - first from this one then the next.
So, the first thing to think about is how far away does your friend live?

Second, thing to think about: Do you plan on ever getting another card to go with this one? The beauty of SLI is that you can combine multiple GPUs.
A good power supply can last you several years. If you get an additional card, you'll have to turn around and buy another power supply at that point.

I don't think it'll hurt to try the psu you've got coming. It may well work just fine. Hope your friend lives near by if it doesn't.

He seems to know what is best, he sent me this as a guide, again, thanks for the input....................

Power Supplies: How Much Power Do You Need?

Component Requirement
AGP Video Card 30W – 50W
PCI Express Video 50W – 100W
Average PCI Card 5W – 10W
DVD/CD 20W – 30W
Hard Drive 15W – 25W
Case/CPU Fans 3W (ea.)
Motherboard (w/o CPU or RAM) 50W – 100W
RAM 15W per 1GB
Pentium III Processor 38W
Pentium 4 Processor 70W – 100W
AMD Athlon Processor 70W – 100W

For overall power supply wattage, add the requirement for each device in your system, then multiply by 1.5. (The multiplier takes into account that today’s systems draw disproportionally on the +12V output. Furthermore, power supplies are more efficient and reliable when loaded to 30% - 70% of maximum capacity.)

Deegan said:
My friend is building me a computer, here is the list of merchandise I purchased, if someone who knows can tell me if this thing is gonna rock? I had it built specifically for gaming, I am a COD gamer head, tell me what you think?

All I see are abreviations and serial numbers.

When you buy hardware you want to look at these numbers and stats

DVD and CD players/recorders
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647123&Sku=S167-4212
Cache Size 2 MB

DVD+R DL Write Speed 8X

DVD+R Write Speed 16x

DVD+RW Rewrite Speed 8X

DVD-R DL Write Speed 8X

DVD-R Write Speed 16x

DVD-RW Rewrite Speed 6x

CD Write Speed 48x​

CD Rewrite Speed 24x

memory

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1717669&CatId=10

Memory Size 2 x 1024MB

Memory Speed 400MHz PC3200

Memory CAS Latency 2-3-3-6

Memory Type Dual Channel DDR

Pins 184​

CPUs

AMD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=698445

Processor Speed 64 3000+ / 2.00GHz

Processor Interface Socket 754

Bus Speed 1600MHz

Additional Technologies HyperTransport​

Intel
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1498711

Processor Speed 531 / 3.00GHz

Processor Interface Socket 775

Bus Speed 800MHz

Additional Technologies Hyper-Threading​

Video card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1830101&Sku=P450-7820
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Video Memory 512MB

Memory Type 256-bit
GDDR3

Memory Bandwidth 54.4GB/sec.

Interface Type PCI Express

Connector(s) Dual DVI
VIVO

Multiple Monitors Support Yes​

Motherboard

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1502299&CatId=0
You also wantto look at the pictues to see what kind of port is has

Form Factor BTX

Processors Supported Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium D
Intel Pentium XE

Additional Technologies HyperThreading Technology

Channels 8 Channels

LAN Type 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit

PCI Slots 4

A Closer Look​

Memory Expansion
The D955XCSLKR provides 4 DIMM sockets using 240-pin DDR2 with a total capacity of up to 4GB. You can install DDR2 533/667MHz Memory.

There is also the issue on how you want your system kept cooled.

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Water Cooling/se=Water Cooling Kits/mp=menu_search.html

There is other things you can do your computer like this individual did.

http://epicycle.org.uk/infinity4/infinity4-5.htm

Last edited:

jamesrage said:
All I see are abreviations and serial numbers.

When you buy hardware you want to look at these numbers and stats

DVD and CD players/recorders
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647123&Sku=S167-4212
Cache Size 2 MB

DVD+R DL Write Speed 8X

DVD+R Write Speed 16x

DVD+RW Rewrite Speed 8X

DVD-R DL Write Speed 8X

DVD-R Write Speed 16x

DVD-RW Rewrite Speed 6x

CD Write Speed 48x​

CD Rewrite Speed 24x

memory

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1717669&CatId=10

Memory Size 2 x 1024MB

Memory Speed 400MHz PC3200

Memory CAS Latency 2-3-3-6

Memory Type Dual Channel DDR

Pins 184​

CPUs

AMD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=698445

Processor Speed 64 3000+ / 2.00GHz

Processor Interface Socket 754

Bus Speed 1600MHz

Additional Technologies HyperTransport​

Intel
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1498711

Processor Speed 531 / 3.00GHz

Bus Speed 800MHz

Additional Technologies Hyper-Threading​

Video card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1830101&Sku=P450-7820
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Video Memory 512MB

Memory Type 256-bit
GDDR3

Memory Bandwidth 54.4GB/sec.

Interface Type PCI Express

Connector(s) Dual DVI
VIVO

Multiple Monitors Support Yes​

Motherboard

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1502299&CatId=0
You also wantto look at the pictues to see what kind of port is has

Form Factor BTX

Processors Supported Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium D
Intel Pentium XE

Additional Technologies HyperThreading Technology

Channels 8 Channels

LAN Type 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit

PCI Slots 4

A Closer Look​

Memory Expansion
The D955XCSLKR provides 4 DIMM sockets using 240-pin DDR2 with a total capacity of up to 4GB. You can install DDR2 533/667MHz Memory.

There is also the issue on how you want your system kept cooled.

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Water Cooling/se=Water Cooling Kits/mp=menu_search.html

There is other things you can do your computer like this individual did.

http://epicycle.org.uk/infinity4/infinity4-5.htm

Well now you can see the badass for yourself, this baby is so very sweet, especially with my new Klipsch speaker system!:cool:

43d8ad53.jpg

^^^^Look at this sweet machine people, don't you just get jealous looking at it, you know you do?:lol:

Deegan said:
^^^^Look at this sweet machine people, don't you just get jealous looking at it, you know you do?:lol:

Wanna make me jealous?
Post some benchmarks.

Simon W. Moon said:
Wanna make me jealous?
Post some benchmarks.

He suggested that overclocking is for idiots, but there is plenty of potential for just that.;)

Deegan said:
He suggested that overclocking is for idiots, but there is plenty of potential for just that.;)
Benchmarks exist w/o overclocking.;)

Simon W. Moon said:
Benchmarks exist w/o overclocking.;)

LOL, he said would say that exact thing.:rofl

The minute you give the benchmarks, then everyone always says, "yeah, I can do much better then that", but that is because they are overclocking. Now he tells me it runs just fine without heating up my system for no good reason, and I only need a smooth gaming speed. The potential is there, but the system is such that we don't need to take any risks over heating.

Between you and me, I will push it a little, but it's running sweet as it is, I can't imagine needed anything else right now.

Deegan said:
The minute you give the benchmarks, then everyone always says, "yeah, I can do much better then that", but that is because they are overclocking.
Well, I don't overclock. Haven't figured out a good reason to do so yet. I'm just looking to see how much of a performance improvement I can look forward to when I finally do go 64bit.

When I decided to buy a new machine recently, I decided that I was going to collect Socket As. I've already got several and the series has been discontinued. So, I went with an Athlon 3200 set up.
But, this meant that I didn't get one of the new 64bit rigs. I was just wondering how green the grass was on that side of the fence.

No need to share if it's gonna be an issue, though.

Back
Top Bottom