• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gorilla Probably was Protecting the Kid with Crap for Parents.

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
No real surprises here.

Astonishing new footage shows gorilla 'PROTECTING' boy and holding his hand before being shot dead - Mirror Online
Astonishing new footage how Harambe the gorilla was protecting a four-year-old boy who fell into his cage - minutes before he was shot dead.

Moments later, the 17-year-old gorilla was fatally shot by zoo staff in a bid to protect the boy who had fallen 12 feet into the enclosure.

However, eyewitnesses have claimed that the gorilla was showing no aggressive behaviour towards the boy.

...in this latest video from the dramatic scene, the boy is seen sat calmly next to the massive animal.

Parents of boy who fell into Harambe the gorilla's Cincinnati Zoo enclosure pictured | Daily Mail Online

Seen here for the first time is mother Michelle Gregg, 32, who has four children by father Deonne Dickerson, 36, a man who, Daily Mail Online can disclose, has a lengthy criminal history.
Criminal filings against Dickerson stretch over a decade and include burglary, firearms offences, drug trafficking, criminal trespass, disorderly conduct and kidnap.
Too bad he didn't fall into the gorilla's pen. I'm sure Harambe would know exactly what to do with a POS like this. Too bad we don't.

Unreal.................this whole thing and how people are responding to it is unreal.

He may not have intended to hurt the child. But he did handle him roughly. Dragging a child by the leg through water is dangerous. He sat on the kid. The gorilla may have had the best of intentions but he was a gorilla handling a human child. Human children are much more fragile than young gorillas. And the fact that it was a silverback rather than a female gorilla would give even more cause for concern. Silverbacks are known to kill children that aren't their own. It just isn't a risk you take.

If I had to bet money I would have bet the gorilla wouldn't seriously hurt the kid. But it wasn't money that was on the line here.

Unreal.................this whole thing and how people are responding to it is unreal.

Depends on how you look at it.

1. We have some of the worst parents in the world here in the states

2. Zoos are super-inhumane, keeping wild animals cooped up for life so that a bunch of spoiled people can stare at them

3. Gorilla's are fairly intelligent

4. Apparently more intelligent than a good number of American parents.

If the gorilla was "probably" protecting the child, wouldn't be possible that the gorilla was "probably" fixing to pummel the child? I'm not making excuses but anything is possible.

And for those of you that do not have kids, it is impossible for a parent to constantly every second of every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every month, of every year, to keep a kid within arms reach or within sight. It's just not doable.

Killing the animal was the right call. Unfortunate, but the right thing to do. Sad.

No real surprises here.

Astonishing new footage shows gorilla 'PROTECTING' boy and holding his hand before being shot dead - Mirror Online

Parents of boy who fell into Harambe the gorilla's Cincinnati Zoo enclosure pictured | Daily Mail Online

Too bad he didn't fall into the gorilla's pen. I'm sure Harambe would know exactly what to do with a POS like this. Too bad we don't.

I don't know any more about this than anyone else but that gorilla sure looked like he was tossing that kid around an awful lot.
That thing was one strong mofo.
I wish they could have resolved it differently.

He may not have intended to hurt the child. But he did handle him roughly. Dragging a child by the leg through water is dangerous. He sat on the kid. The gorilla may have had the best of intentions but he was a gorilla handling a human child. Human children are much more fragile than young gorillas. And the fact that it was a silverback rather than a female gorilla would give even more cause for concern. Silverbacks are known to kill children that aren't their own. It just isn't a risk you take.

If I had to bet money I would have bet the gorilla wouldn't seriously hurt the kid. But it wasn't money that was on the line here.

I agree. You just cannot take the risk. Sad story all around.

facebook said:
I keep hearing that the Gorilla was trying to protect the boy. I do not find this to be true. Harambe reaches for the boys hands and arms, but only to position the child better for his own displaying purposes.
Males do very elaborate displays when highly agitated, slamming and dragging things about. Typically they would drag large branches, barrels and heavy weighted balls around to make as much noise as possible. Not in an effort to hurt anyone or anything (usually) but just to intimidate. It was clear to me that he was reacting to the screams coming from the gathering crowd.
Harambe was most likely not going to separate himself from that child without seriously hurting him first (again due to mere size and strength, not malicious intent) Why didn't they use treats? well, they attempted to call them off exhibit (which animals hate), the females in the group came in, but Harambe did not. What better treat for a captive animal than a real live kid!
They didn't use Tranquilizers for a few reasons, A. Harambe would've taken too long to become immobilized, and could have really injured the child in the process as the drugs used may not work quickly enough depending on the stress of the situation and the dose B. Harambe would've have drowned in the moat if immobilized in the water, and possibly fallen on the boy trapping him and drowning him as well.

Full post here:

https://www.facebook.com/amanda.odonoughue/posts/1203379586363094

No real surprises here.

I didn't ****ing know that about the father of her children. Now I wish I didn't. It makes me despise that ignorant woman even more than I already do, which is a lot. She's a loser. He's a loser.

She is not even the least bit sorry. That poor animal lost his life because of her ignorance.

I didn't ****ing know that about the father of her children. Now I wish I didn't. It makes me despise that ignorant woman even more than I already do, which is a lot. She's a loser. He's a loser.

She is not even the least bit sorry. That poor animal lost his life because of her ignorance.

That's how I see it. And, now they are yucking it up. It really boils me over.

Children like to be swung around. If you do it for them once they want you to do it again and again. The gorilla was probably responding to the child's unconscious programing.

No real surprises here.

Two comments I'd make after seeing several views of this incident:

1) Considering the parents and how they've handled this, wouldn't surprise me at all if they've already lined up some shyster who's more than happy to be the lawyer of record as these two try to cash their legal lottery ticket - at least they'll be angling for an out of court settlement against the zoo. Disgusting.

2) Of all the video I've seen, and it's not been mentioned that I've noticed, the young boy doesn't look or seem to be at all upset or scared or agitated - nothing - even when the gorilla drags him by the leg through the moat he just sits up and looks up at the big gorilla in wonder. For that reason, I'm a little less convinced that the child was in any imminent danger. If the child was beating on the gorilla or crying and screaming in terror, that might have agitated the gorilla and put the child in danger - I didn't see any of that. And as for some claiming that a child that age is "fragile" - nonsense - children that age defy death any number of times every day.

All that said, I'm not qualified to second guess the actions of the zoo employees. I'd say that they, above almost all of us here, had the life and safety of the gorilla most dear to their hearts and did what they could and what they felt best weighing that against the possible death of the child.

That's how I see it. And, now they are yucking it up. It really boils me over.

That very stupid and very large bitch (yes I know I'm being petty) had the audacity to post "Accidents happen", as if he scraped his knees playing baseball.

An innocent animal had to die, and people who work at the zoo were forced into an action that will likely haunt them forever, because she couldn't wait to take a selfie, and ignored the repeated threats from her kid that he was going to do exactly what he did.

No real surprises here.

I'm interested in why everyone seems to think that the criminal history of the boy's father is pertinent to the value of his life.

And for those of you that do not have kids, it is impossible for a parent to constantly every second of every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every month, of every year, to keep a kid within arms reach or within sight. It's just not doable.

No . . . it's perfectly possible for parents to take care of their children and ensure they don't do stupid things like crawl into gorilla exhibits.

Every year millions of kids go to zoos - and this type of inanity rarely happens.

No . . . it's perfectly possible for parents to take care of their children and ensure they don't do stupid things like crawl into gorilla exhibits.

Really? I can think of lots of stupid things my children have managed to do. You can't think of any stupid things your kids have managed to do?

Every year millions of kids go to zoos - and this type of inanity rarely happens.

But, it does happen. Which proves it is impossible to have eyes on your children 24/7.

A child can move quickly when a parent's attention is diverted for mere seconds.

Really? I can think of lots of stupid things my children have managed to do. You can't think of any stupid things your kids have managed to do?

At a ZOO?

No - I cannot recall a single moment in which my kids were out of my control AT A ZOO.

I guess some parents are just more wary and cautious than others. The mom of this poor kid now gets to go: "Dur- my kid fell into the gorilla exhibit and was almost beaten to death. Gee, kids, they do crazy ****!" and win crap-mom of the year award.

But, it does happen. Which proves it is impossible to have eyes on your children 24/7.

A child can move quickly when a parent's attention is diverted for mere seconds.

It just proves some parents are lazy and careless with their children in dangerous places like a Zoo. That's the only reason why this even happened.

This isn't a matter of '24/7' - this is 'at the zoo' or am I the only one on topic, here?

Last edited:
At a ZOO?

No - I cannot recall a single moment in which my kids were out of my control AT A ZOO.

:shrug: I can think of a bunch of times my boys have tried to do stupid things in a variety of places, public and private.

It just proves some parents are lazy and careless with their children in dangerous places like a Zoo. That's the only reason why this even happened.

:shrug: I don't know the woman and I don't have the information to make the judgment. I simply know that "A kid did a stupid thing" =/= "The Parent was being an idiot". It's possible, but I don't think that that leap in judgment is justified.

A smart and responsible parent wouldn't allow their attention to be diverted when the child is anxious to do something that will cause him harm, as was the case here. This is in no way a case of "24/7". The other people in the area heard that child repeatedly threaten to go into that enclosure. If the mother heard it and didn't respond to it, she's negligent.

This isn't a matter of '24/7' - this is 'at the zoo' or am I the only one on topic, here?

Too bad it's not a perfect world.

Back
Top Bottom