• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gorilla Probably was Protecting the Kid with Crap for Parents.

Do people get this furious at parents when their children are abducted by strangers? After all, it would be difficult to abduct them if the parents didn't get distracted for a few seconds.

Normally those parents live with terrible guilt for the rest of their lives. They don't brush it off with "Accidents happen", do they?

Really? I can think of lots of stupid things my children have managed to do. You can't think of any stupid things your kids have managed to do?

thanks for that!

as a parent, I have lost track of all the stupid things they (and I ) have done

No there's been there done that look at the past through rose colored glasses contingent too.

I wonder what the overlap is with people putting up those facebook pictures saying "BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDNT HAVE ALL THIS SAFETY CRAP AND WE SURVIVED!!!"

I wonder what the overlap is with people putting up those facebook pictures saying "BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDNT HAVE ALL THIS SAFETY CRAP AND WE SURVIVED!!!"

Yuge!!!

He may not have intended to hurt the child. But he did handle him roughly. Dragging a child by the leg through water is dangerous. He sat on the kid. The gorilla may have had the best of intentions but he was a gorilla handling a human child. Human children are much more fragile than young gorillas. And the fact that it was a silverback rather than a female gorilla would give even more cause for concern. Silverbacks are known to kill children that aren't their own. It just isn't a risk you take.

If I had to bet money I would have bet the gorilla wouldn't seriously hurt the kid. But it wasn't money that was on the line here.

BOOM!!!! Nails it

By now the gorilla was put to sleep.
I agree about not blaming the animal nor the zoo. It's the mother's neglect of her son which he was put into danger which led to the demise of the gorilla.

#GorillaLivesMatter

I don't care. Human > Ape. If we're in any doubt as to the safety of the human we kill the ape. End of discussion.

I don't care. Human > Ape. If we're in any doubt as to the safety of the human we kill the ape. End of discussion.

I wouldn't vote against shooting bad parents.

Do people get this furious at parents when their children are abducted by strangers? After all, it would be difficult to abduct them if the parents didn't get distracted for a few seconds.

Good point. I was reminded of Adam Walsh disappearing forever after his mother turned her back for only a moment in a department store.

Yeah - some people have crappy parents and suffer the consequences.

I think people like you live in an unrealistic world, but whatever floats your boat. Unless "they" can prove the parents acted with some kind of malicious intent, gross negligence, or what have you, you people are sh*t out of luck for anything to happen. Why? Because most people live in the real world, not some fantasy make-believe Neverneverland.

Good luck tho. You'll need it. :2razz:

I think people like you live in an unrealistic world, but whatever floats your boat. Unless "they" can prove the parents acted with some kind of malicious intent, gross negligence, or what have you, you people are sh*t out of luck for anything to happen. Why? Because most people live in the real world, not some fantasy make-believe Neverneverland.

Good luck tho. You'll need it. :2razz:

I'll remind you that we're talking about a child falling into an animal exhibit at the zoo.

We're not talking about kids who lie or fall down stairs in their own house or tripping and skinning their knee on the playground and whatever other things that happen in childhood. We are talking about parents who take their children to a place like a zoo, let go of them, and then find that their child has wandered where they shouldn't and nearly died for it. You seem to be spinning this far beyond that (again and again) - and I'm not sure why.

Is it really too much to ask that people keep a hand on their kids while at such a place like a Zoo? In fact, there are signs all over zoos warning about that exact type of crap. Picture signs and written signs warning to not feed animals / don't get too close / don't reach in / don't climb over. :doh

Why? Because the animals can cause injury or death. For Christ'a sake - just falling that distance could have killed the kid. Good thing they didn't vacation to the Grand Canyon.

Last edited:
I'll remind you that we're talking about a child falling into an animal exhibit at the zoo.

We're not talking about kids who lie or fall down stairs in their own house or tripping and skinning their knee on the playground and whatever other things that happen in childhood. We are talking about parents who take their children to a place like a zoo, let go of them, and then find that their child has wandered where they shouldn't and nearly died for it. You seem to be spinning this far beyond that (again and again) - and I'm not sure why.

Is it really too much to ask that people keep a hand on their kids while at such a place like a Zoo? In fact, there are signs all over zoos warning about that exact type of crap. Picture signs and written signs warning to not feed animals / don't get too close / don't reach in/ don't climb over. :doh

You live in a fantasy world. Can't help you there. :tink:

Theory: 100% of the people criticizing the mother do not have children.

I have a kid and he has gotten into some trouble, but when I tell him to settle down he obeys me. And he has never gotten into trouble like this kid in the article has.

I have a kid and he has gotten into some trouble, but when I tell him to settle down he obeys me. And he has never gotten into trouble like this kid in the article has.

I have to agree. If someone's kid wanders into a gorilla exhibit, they've done a really crappy job of watching their kid.

Add a couple more of him, it gets harder. That being said perfecting the don't **** with dad glare works wonders.

Add a couple more of him, it gets harder. That being said perfecting the don't **** with dad glare works wonders.

She had four. So, I can imagine that she had her hands full. I guess the question needs to be asked though. Is it wise to have 4 kids if you can't really watch out for them?

She had four. So, I can imagine that she had her hands full. I guess the question needs to be asked though. Is it wise to have 4 kids if you can't really watch out for them?

People are rarely wise when it comes to having kids. One probably ought naught go to the zoo w/o other adults to help keep an eye on the kids.

People are rarely wise when it comes to having kids. One probably ought naught go to the zoo w/o other adults to help keep an eye on the kids.

I don't see very many people lamenting the fact that a child's home is far, far more dangerous than a zoo. Statistically speaking the leading cause of death among children ages 3 and 4 is accident. And the vast majority of those accidents occur in the home. Which leads back to what I said earlier in this thread. It is impossible for a parent to keep a child within sight or arms reach 24/7. Now, that's not to say all of this could have been avoided. But I believe there has been a huge over-reaction to this unfortunate and sad incident.

I don't see very many people lamenting the fact that a child's home is far, far more dangerous than a zoo. Statistically speaking the leading cause of death among children ages 3 and 4 is accident. And the vast majority of those accidents occur in the home. Which leads back to what I said earlier in this thread. It is impossible for a parent to keep a child within sight or arms reach 24/7. Now, that's not to say all of this could have been avoided. But I believe there has been a huge over-reaction to this unfortunate and sad incident.

Agree on the overreaction, but it's to be expected when a gorilla dies.

Agree on the overreaction, but it's to be expected when a gorilla dies.

I supposed I don't get all riled up when an animal is killed to preserve the life of a human. I'm funny that way. lol

Over time, I have discovered much truth in the movie Wall Street.

In this case, I'm reminded of Gordon Gecko's quote that the thing to remember about WASPs is that they love animals and hate people.

Over time, I have discovered much truth in the movie Wall Street.

In this case, I'm reminded of Gordon Gecko's quote that the thing to remember about WASPs is that they love animals and hate people.

Personally, I was reminded of Idiocracy---only the dumbest people are breeding these days.

Back
Top Bottom