• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gorilla Probably was Protecting the Kid with Crap for Parents.

A smart and responsible parent wouldn't allow their attention to be diverted when the child is anxious to do something that will cause him harm, as was the case here. This is in no way a case of "24/7". The other people in the area heard that child repeatedly threaten to go into that enclosure. If the mother heard it and didn't respond to it, she's negligent.

See #25.

I'm interested in why everyone seems to think that the criminal history of the boy's father is pertinent to the value of his life.

IMO, it explains much, especially how crappy the mom is and how stupid she is and how she can be counted on to make all the wrong decisions, including letting her kid fall into a gorilla exhibit.

Why not use a tranquilizer and stand by with the lethal force?

I have not followed this story closely, does anyone know how the 4 year old got into the enclosure?
I have seen the Gorilla enclosure in Houston, and it would be difficult to get inside.
Was there some defect in the fence that allowed a small child to enter?

Why not use a tranquilizer and stand by with the lethal force?
I would guess, time, at any second the Gorilla could have killed the child, maybe not intentionally
but just ripped an arm off.

No . . . it's perfectly possible for parents to take care of their children and ensure they don't do stupid things like crawl into gorilla exhibits.

Every year millions of kids go to zoos - and this type of inanity rarely happens.

No way, you can be the world's best parent and still not ensure kids won't do stupid things. Crawling into a gorilla exhibit isn't even going to be on most people's lists of things kids can do which is why millions of kids got to zoos and it doesn't happen.

I guess whenever you hear of a parent being distracted and leaving his kid in a hot car, you chalk it up to "it's not a perfect world".

I don't guess anything since it's not the same thing.

No way, you can be the world's best parent and still not ensure kids won't do stupid things. Crawling into a gorilla exhibit isn't even going to be on most people's lists of things kids can do which is why millions of kids got to zoos and it doesn't happen.

ROTFLMAO. Can you imagine your parents hovering over you 24/7. I mean what do these people think? Mommy and daddy ought to stand guard over you while you sleep?

I don't guess anything since it's not the same thing.

Okay, so not paying attention to your child who repeatedly tells you he intends to do something, and turning your back on him for god knows how long (in tis story, long enough for him to climb through a fence and under wire and through 4 feet of brush, since she still didn't know he was gone when he actually fell), is what, exactly? Just a woops moment? It isn't a perfect world moment?

:shrug: I can think of a bunch of times my boys have tried to do stupid things in a variety of places, public and private.

:shrug: I don't know the woman and I don't have the information to make the judgment. I simply know that "A kid did a stupid thing" =/= "The Parent was being an idiot". It's possible, but I don't think that that leap in judgment is justified.

I don't think so either. Parents are human. No frikken way a person can get through 20+ years of parenting and not come up short on occasion.

ROTFLMAO. Can you imagine your parents hovering over you 24/7. I mean what do these people think? Mommy and daddy ought to stand guard over you while you sleep?

No, it's much better to let your 4 year old wander aimlessly. So what if there are bad people who may be in the crowd who would snatch him? So what if he may ingest something that kills him? So what if he gets lost? After all, nothing is more important than taking a selfie to post on Facebook. And we don't want to watch our kids in a crowd anyway. That's apparently bad parenting.

If the police find the Mother had a bunch of texts during the time before the child fell in,
she could be charged with neglect.

the only real solution was to have a well designed enclosure for the gorilla.

No, it's much better to let your 4 year old wander aimlessly. So what if there are bad people who may be in the crowd who would snatch him? So what if he may ingest something that kills him? So what if he gets lost? After all, nothing is more important than taking a selfie to post on Facebook. And we don't want to watch our kids in a crowd anyway. That's apparently bad parenting.

Come again? What are you talking about?

Come again? What are you talking about?

You were making an argument against watching your kids 24/7. You're right. She shouldn't have watched her kid 24/7. It was much better to snap a selfie and let the kid wander away. Look how well that worked out for her.

Thank goodness most parents would rather be the totally uncool kinds who "hover" over their kids when they're in situations like that one.

If the police find the Mother had a bunch of texts during the time before the child fell in,
she could be charged with neglect.

I would assume if there exists some kind of criminal neglect, intent, or gross negligence, the parents would be prosecuted. I'm not an attorney but I don't see anything other than an accident. But I wasn't there. Maybe some of the resident experts, that apparently witnessed the incident can shed some light on what happened. :wink2:

You were making an argument against watching your kids 24/7. You're right. She shouldn't have watched her kid 24/7. It was much better to snap a selfie and let the kid wander away. Look how well that worked out for her.

Thank goodness most parents would rather be the totally uncool kinds who "hover" over their kids when they're in situations like that one.

ROTFLMAO. Calm down. Why are you so uppity? Geeeeez.

Last edited:
I would assume if there exists some kind of criminal neglect, intent, or gross negligence, the parents would be prosecuted. I'm not an attorney but I don't see anything other than an accident. But I wasn't there. Maybe some of the resident experts, that apparently witnessed the incident can shed some light on what happened. :wink2:
There is a line between an accident and neglect, they charge parents who leave their kids in hot cars.
likely an accident, but charge and convict on neglect.

There is a line between an accident and neglect...
I wonder if the parents have a history of failing to supervise their kid(s)? If so, there might be a case there. But if this were purely an accident, they turned their back for a moment and the child slipped into the exhibit, then I don't see any prosecution taking place. What do you think?

Do people get this furious at parents when their children are abducted by strangers? After all, it would be difficult to abduct them if the parents didn't get distracted for a few seconds.

I wonder if the parents have a history of failing to supervise their kid(s)? If so, there might be a case there. But if this were purely an accident, they turned their back for a moment and the child slipped into the exhibit, then I don't see any prosecution taking place. What do you think?
I don't ether, unless there is some evidence of willful neglect, like the person in charge of the
child was focused on a text conversation.

I don't ether, unless there is some evidence of willful neglect, like the person in charge of the
child was focused on a text conversation.

Yep. We'll see.

Theory: 100% of the people criticizing the mother do not have children.

Theory: 100% of the people criticizing the mother do not have children.

No there's been there done that look at the past through rose colored glasses contingent too.

Back
Top Bottom