• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOPers, tell me why you would be upset if the Dems packed the court if they win control of congress and the Presidency?

You quoted yourself twice. Do you like to hear yourself talk that much?

Fat thumbs and lack of familiarity with the web interface to the board since tapatalk doesn’t work any more.

You didn’t answer the question.

If I were a conservative, I'd just get down on my knees and pray to baby Jesus that Democrats don't win the Senate and the presidency.

Because the excuses I'm reading from them here are weak sauce.

The Democrats started it.

Judicial tyranny.

Political purposes.

Boo hoo hoo hoo . . . ha ha ha ha ha.

On the bright side, they will finally get their wish. At long last, they will truly be victims.

I don't think you understand what "packing the court" means.
They do. They’re pushing that lie to justify when they try to do it for real if they win the House, Senate and White House.

They do. They’re pushing that lie to justify when they try to do it for real if they win the House, Senate and White House.

Exactly. And if we can do it, it's gonna be great.

And it will last until the Republicans are in power again. And so it goes.

Sure, but there are things that we can do between now and then to limit their power when that time comes.

That's naturally part of the plan, too.

Sure, but there are things that we can do between now and then to limit their power when that time comes.

That's naturally part of the plan, too.
And they will find ways to undo what needs to be undone, and then turn around and limit the Democrat’s power. And so the pendulum swings.

And they will find ways to undo what needs to be undone, and then turn around and limit the Democrat’s power. And so the pendulum swings.

Maybe. I'm not as hopeless about it.

We've had some real progress in the last twenty years, in particular with regards to many important social issues--gay marriage and so forth.

None of that will fall victim to the pendulum.

Maybe. I'm not as hopeless about it.

We've had some real progress in the last twenty years, in particular with regards to many important social issues--gay marriage and so forth.

None of that will fall victim to the pendulum.
I don’t think it will, regardless of what happens. I voted for gay marriage when it was on the ballot in my state in 2012 and I wouldn’t like to see it reversed.

Yes, you are indeed correct about all of this. II was just trying to keep it simple for all of the "holier than thou" Independents out there. Since they are too smug to care about all of the intricate details before making voting decisions.

Still applies. Foolhardy false equivalency.
You know nothing.

You do understand that back then a President had to choose a candidate for the SC that was ok with both parties. That meant no extremist partisan Judges. But that went in the toilet under GW Bush. And Republicans threatened the "nuclear option" but got a deal from Democrats. That deal was a mistake the Dems won't make again. All bets are off for the 2021 Senate..virtually everything is in play and the sky is the limit.

Bush nominees were ok; Obama's were radical.
All presidents had to get through nominees with broad support from the Senate-- which meant the other party. Reid blew that up. And that was the nuclear option, proposed and eventually deployed by Democrats.

We all know what the Dems will do if the win the Senate and WH. They CRAVE political power. Ends justify any means.
Don't pay any attention to their pretense of high-mindedness.

You are wrong. Article 3 gives Congress the power to determine the make up of the Federal judiciary including the Supreme Court.
ER, that power is ultimately given to SCOTUS since any measure to 'improve' SCOTUS will be moved up each upper level appellate court ultimately to SCOTUS.

And exactly how is that different from what McConnell did?
The American people is being represented with the filling of the vacant seat with Barrett. Elections are representations of the will of the American people and the election of 2016 (and 2018 that increased the GOP Senate advantage), for examples, have consequences.

What McConnell had a part in was the exact thing to do according to The Constitution when a SCOTUS judge passes away and, BTW, The Constitution is the will of the people of America ultimately represented by SCOTUS.

Court packing is wrong and is unconstitutional, IMO. Mebe Biden remembers he also said court packing was wrong in the 1980s (but I doubt it):rolleyes:.

Last edited:
You should be angry at Obama for leaving 100 or so seats vacant and RBG for bitterly clinging to her seat beyond her expiration date. It all started with Bork. We got Kennedy instead. Then we got Souter and nearly Harriet Myers. Thank you Harry Reid. You taught the Republicans how to play hard ball. You have a court now who will not legislate from the bench.
Kennedy and souter were great judges. GOP should be proud of them.

The American people is being represented with the filling of the vacant seat with Barrett. Elections are representations of the will of the American people and the election of 2016 (and 2018 that increased the GOP Senate advantage), for examples, have consequences.

What McConnell had a part in was the exact thing to do according to The Constitution when a SCOTUS judge passes away and, BTW, The Constitution is the will of the people of America ultimately represented by SCOTUS.

Court packing is wrong and is unconstitutional, IMO. Mebe Biden remembers he also said court packing is wrong in the 1980s (but I doubt it):rolleyes:.
The will of the people in 2016 was they wanted obama making the pick but Mcconnell deprived the people of the choice.

ER, that power is ultimately given to SCOTUS since any measure to 'improve' SCOTUS will be moved up each upper level appellate court ultimately to SCOTUS.

Who has standing to sue?

The will of the people in 2016 was they wanted obama making the pick but Mcconnell deprived the people of the choice.
The will of the people were also represented by the Senate when the Senate refused to entertain the notion of Garland as new SCOTUS judge.

Is there a lot of authoritarianism in American gov't? You bet your bippy there is. Both major political parties are guilty of being authoritarian and that is the main reason, IMO, why our 'democracy' (our democratic republic, actually) is on the ropes...because no congressperson seems to be willing to compromise. That our gov't is, instead, for example, a congressperson's way or the highway.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nonsense. "The people" handed the GOP an overwhelming majority in both the House and the Senate. They were mere months away from giving the GOP the Presidency as well.

The GOP was simply making use of the mandate given them by the democratic process to do their job as the opposition party.

The will of the people were also represented by the Senate when the Senate refused to entertain the notion of Garland as new SCOTUS judge.

Is there a lot of authoritarianism in American gov't? You bet your bippy there is. Both major political parties are guilty of being authoritarian and that is the main reason, IMO, why our 'democracy' (our democratic republic, actually) is on the ropes...because no congressperson seems to be willing to compromise. That our gov't iss, instead, for example, a congressperson's way or the highway.:rolleyes:
Not true. Polls showed a majority of americans wanted obama's pick to be considered. Polls also show a majority of americans wanted the winner of the 2020 election to fill RBG's seat. But GOp doesnt really care about the people. They are like the chinese communist party. Their only goal is power.

Nonsense. "The people" handed the GOP an overwhelming majority in both the House and the Senate. They were mere months away from giving the GOP the Presidency as well.

The GOP was simply making use of the mandate given them by the democratic process to do their job as the opposition party.
I like that you used people in quotes because technically trump got less votes than the other guy or girl in this case. Minority rule is what we call it now a days. There was no "mandate" from the people.

Who has standing to sue?
Before a piece of legislation to pack the court can be implemented, a suit will be brought up challenging the packing of courts. Unless, of course, the authoritarians who want to pack the court want to limit the ability of the appellate process in this court case.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom