• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Voted 19 Times To Increase Debt Limit By $4 Trillion During Bush Presidency

DemonMyst

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
During Bush Presidency, Current GOP Leaders Voted 19 Times To Increase Debt Limit By $4 Trillion

Think Progress- By Travis Waldron at 11:49 am

After pushing the government to brink of shutdown last week, Republican Congressional leaders are now preparing to push America to the edge of default by refusing to increase the nation’s debt limit without first getting Democrats to concede to large spending cuts.

But while the four Republicans in Congressional leadership positions are attempting to hold the increase hostage now, they combined to vote for a debt limit increase 19 times during the presidency of George W. Bush. In doing so, they increased the debt limit by nearly $4 trillion.

At the beginning of the Bush presidency, the United States debt limit was $5.95 trillion. Despite promises that he would pay off the debt in 10 years, Bush increased the debt to $9.815 trillion by the end of his term, with plenty of help from the four Republicans currently holding Congressional leadership positions: Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl. ThinkProgress compiled a breakdown of the five debt limit increases that took place during the Bush presidency and how the four Republican leaders voted:

Current GOP Leaders Voted 19 Times To Increase Debt Limit By $4 Trillion During Bush Presidency « Suzie-Q's Truth and Justice Blog

So what gives?? Why the sudden worry about the debt and the debt limit?? Is it just because there is a democrat in office?? Talk about hypocrisy..

why the change?

well, two things: one, republicans (and this is under appreciated, I think) recently woke up with an amputated horse head in their bed signed 'Love, the Tea Party. Fix Your S---, Or We Will Fix You.'

secondly, it probably has something to do with scale

bush_deficit_vs_obama_deficit_in_pictures_2.jpg

a beer a day after work isn't a problem. getting hammered every night is. right now, we are spending ourselves into absolute alcoholic oblivion.

but as for the ceiling itself - raising it isn't the current point of contention; it's how much in cuts we should attach to raising it. and the reason for that is simple: S&P has downgraded our outlook, and we are headed face first at 90 mph into a cliff face. The extreme and dangerous decision is to continue to spend as we are currently doing - and/or (critically) convincing the bond markets that that is our intention. Every Republican Leader I am aware of that has commented on this has stated that the debt ceiling will be raised - but we must do it in a way that protects our ability to borrow at low cost in the short and medium term. Passing a so-called "clean bill" does the opposite of that.

China has reduced it's purchasing of our debt for five months straight, and is shifting to shorter term paper in case it needs to get out of us fast quick and in a hurry. The worlds' largest bond funds have turned on the Treasury. S&P only downgraded their outlook - but what we have learned from every major financial disaster of the past decade or so is that the ratings agencies are the last to know - they arent' the warning whistle, they are the caboose on the train zooming by. PIMPCO (worlds' largest bond fund) now estimates that the FED purchases 70% of the Treasuries bond sales - but that program ends in June, everyone knows it, and there is currently no one willing to replace them.

We are balanced on a very serious knife-edge right now. We have an extremely short time period to accomplish the exceedingly difficult task of convincing the bond markets that we are serious about cutting in dramatic ways. Passing a clean debt reduction bill would have the opposite effect and the result.... QE2 ends, rates shoot up, the cost of our borrowing spikes, we could see a run on the Bond and the Dollar.

I find it difficult to impress upon you the very real danger of the measure you are proposing without sounding hyperbolic. At best such a measure will merely dramatically increase the debt and put us in a debt crises much sooner. We could easily be forced into cutting the entitlements much sooner and much deeper than either the Ryan or the Presidents' plan calls for.

THAT"s why Republicans want major spending cuts in our debt ceiling increase. Because unless we include them we could very well be ****ed.

Last edited:
WOW both of the above posts give excellent info! Thanks guys! So much went on during the yrs. of the shrub that most Americans are not aware of. Now Boner is holding the nation hostage (once again) just to get his way. I see the pubs as "the terrible 2's." I remember being horrified when Bush went on the telly telling folkks to "go out & spend" This was when things were just really getting bad with folks & credit card debt.

why the change?

well, two things: one, republicans (and this is under appreciated, I think) recently woke up with an amputated horse head in their bed signed 'Love, the Tea Party. Fix Your S---, Or We Will Fix You.'

secondly, it probably has something to do with scale

bush_deficit_vs_obama_deficit_in_pictures_2.jpg

a beer a day after work isn't a problem. getting hammered every night is. right now, we are spending ourselves into absolute alcoholic oblivion.

but as for the ceiling itself - raising it isn't the current point of contention; it's how much in cuts we should attach to raising it. and the reason for that is simple: S&P has downgraded our outlook, and we are headed face first at 90 mph into a cliff face. The extreme and dangerous decision is to continue to spend as we are currently doing - and/or (critically) convincing the bond markets that that is our intention. Every Republican Leader I am aware of that has commented on this has stated that the debt ceiling will be raised - but we must do it in a way that protects our ability to borrow at low cost in the short and medium term. Passing a so-called "clean bill" does the opposite of that.

China has reduced it's purchasing of our debt for five months straight, and is shifting to shorter term paper in case it needs to get out of us fast quick and in a hurry. The worlds' largest bond funds have turned on the Treasury. S&P only downgraded their outlook - but what we have learned from every major financial disaster of the past decade or so is that the ratings agencies are the last to know - they arent' the warning whistle, they are the caboose on the train zooming by. PIMPCO (worlds' largest bond fund) now estimates that the FED purchases 70% of the Treasuries bond sales - but that program ends in June, everyone knows it, and there is currently no one willing to replace them.

We are balanced on a very serious knife-edge right now. We have an extremely short time period to accomplish the exceedingly difficult task of convincing the bond markets that we are serious about cutting in dramatic ways. Passing a clean debt reduction bill would have the opposite effect and the result.... QE2 ends, rates shoot up, the cost of our borrowing spikes, we could see a run on the Bond and the Dollar.

I find it difficult to impress upon you the very real danger of the measure you are proposing without sounding hyperbolic. At best such a measure will merely dramatically increase the debt and put us in a debt crises much sooner. We could easily be forced into cutting the entitlements much sooner and much deeper than either the Ryan or the Presidents' plan calls for.

THAT"s why Republicans want major spending cuts in our debt ceiling increase. Because unless we include them we could very well be ****ed.

I agree with your sentiments, however I greatly disagree with GOP thoughts of what should be cut. They only target programs for the poor, public media, and other small potatoes that protect the billions of dollars the government hands out to big oil and the lot. They have not called for any DOD cuts, no cuts to corporate welfare, yet continue to pretend that these small programs are eating the nation up.

Neither side is really going to do much with Medicare/Medicad or Social Security because whoever does, as Paul Ryan has learned, will be crucified by the public. However, what amuses me most is that government leaders pretend that entitlements are the biggest piece of the pie, yet we will never really know what the DOD budget actually is because most of it is blacked out and top secret.

So, I would rather see some common sense from both sides and would ask that GOPers make a cut to the wealthy welfare for every cut in the poor. Otherwise they are robbing the poor to give to the rich and that is not real cost cutting is it?

The draconian cuts are designed to Change this nation. It's an excuse. Everyone knows that the Bush era tax cuts were meant to be termporary. IMO big mistake on Obama's part. Get rid of the unnesseccary subsididaries for big oil & viola budget is lookin' good.

It's frustrating that somebody is stepping up to finally do what is necessary and the voters are all still screaming and fighting and trying to make sure nobody forgets just how much they hate the other side.

I'm not happy about the fact that both parties have allowed ridiculous spending, massive fraud, chronic redundancy, and inefficiency to bring us to a point where we can't fund programs the citizens won't let us get rid of. I'm equally upset with the fact that we expect our elected officials to be pinnacles of principle and good works while we continue acting like children on a playground. If the democrats were doing what the republicans are doing I'd be happy about it. I'd be saying the same thing I'm saying now, "It's about time somebody tried to get serious about cutting out of control spending and reigning in our financial future before it runs off and leaves us broke and crying in the dust".

The idea that the opposition can never do anything right because they're all evil people out to harm the "average citizen" is, quite frankly, getting old. I think almost everybody agrees that spending needs to be curbed, but it's funny to see people follow that up with "but if (opposing party) hadn't done this, and this, and this then we wouldn't be in this position". That doesn't help, and it's ignoring the other half of the equation.

Personally, I'm happy this is playing out. I'd be happier if more of the democrats would stop acting like children who had their candy taken away and start going to meetings and working to come up with some compromises, some cuts, some ideas. The fact is, we've seen a $4 trillion increase in debt in 2.5 years, which is the fastest debt increase ever. We've got to stop that trend and we need to do it immediately. It doesn't matter who contributed what amount to that debt because both parties were involved in the votes that allowed that money to fly out the door.

Pointing fingers gets us nowhere. I want our elected officials to stop doing it. I think we need to set the example.

Last edited:

Ummm?? Just asking here?? But I think your graph there is showing the deficit and not the debt.. It is showing a surplus in year 2000 and 2001.. Which would most certianly make it the deficit.. So what exactly does that have to do with republicans raising the debt ceiling 19 times?? Can we stay on the ball here?? This thread is about the debt.. Not the deficit.. More specifically why the republicans raised the debt ceiling 19 times under Bush, but now that Obama wants to.. Republicans no longer want to play ball.. Again, why is that??

Last edited:
The draconian cuts are designed to Change this nation. It's an excuse. Everyone knows that the Bush era tax cuts were meant to be termporary. IMO big mistake on Obama's part. Get rid of the unnesseccary subsididaries for big oil & viola budget is lookin' good.

Removing oil subsidies won't fix the budget, not even if we also got rid of the Bush tax-cuts.

Ummm?? Just asking here?? But I think your graph there is showing the deficit and not the debt.. It is showing a surplus in year 2000 and 2001.. Which would most certianly make it the deficit.. So what exactly does that have to do with republicans raising the debt ceiling 19 times?? Can we stay on the ball here?? This thread is about the debt.. Not the deficit.. More specifically why the republicans raised the debt ceiling 19 times under Bush, but now that Obama wants to.. Republicans no longer want to play ball.. Again, why is that??

Just sayin'...but the deficit is directly linked to the increase in debt.

It's frustrating that somebody is stepping up to finally do what is necessary and the voters are all still screaming and fighting and trying to make sure nobody forgets just how much they hate the other side.

I'm not happy about the fact that both parties have allowed ridiculous spending, massive fraud, chronic redundancy, and inefficiency to bring us to a point where we can't fund programs the citizens won't let us get rid of. I'm equally upset with the fact that we expect our elected officials to be pinnacles of principle and good works while we continue acting like children on a playground. If the democrats were doing what the republicans are doing I'd be happy about it. I'd be saying the same thing I'm saying now, "It's about time somebody tried to get serious about cutting out of control spending and reigning in our financial future before it runs off and leaves us broke and crying in the dust".

The idea that the opposition can never do anything right because they're all evil people out to harm the "average citizen" is, quite frankly, getting old. I think almost everybody agrees that spending needs to be curbed, but it's funny to see people follow that up with "but if (opposing party) hadn't done this, and this, and this then we wouldn't be in this position". That doesn't help, and it's ignoring the other half of the equation.

Personally, I'm happy this is playing out. I'd be happier if more of the democrats would stop acting like children who had their candy taken away and start going to meetings and working to come up with some compromises, some cuts, some ideas. The fact is, we've seen a $4 trillion increase in debt in 2.5 years, which is the fastest debt increase ever. We've got to stop that trend and we need to do it immediately. It doesn't matter who contributed what amount to that debt because both parties were involved in the votes that allowed that money to fly out the door.

Pointing fingers gets us nowhere. I want our elected officials to stop doing it. I think we need to set the example.

This is all human nature and politics in my opinion. Honestly I'm not surprised at all.

Removing oil subsidies won't fix the budget, not even if we also got rid of the Bush tax-cuts.

The Bush tax cuts are worth about $320 billion a year.. Or $3.2 trillion over the last 10 years.. I have read estimates that were much higher.. It may not fi the budget but it is a huge step in the right direction.. That is almost a third of the deficit wiped out with out spending a single dollar.. Or making a single cut.. Imagine that.. The Oil Subsidies are about $20 billion with another $56 billion in tax breaks.. Again.. Probably won't fix the budget either, but again another big step in the right direction.. At no cost.. No cuts required..

So the real question is?? Why not do them??

Just sayin'...but the deficit is directly linked to the increase in debt.

Yes that is true, but that does not address the issue put forth by the OP.. Why did the republicans approve of raising the debt limit 19 times and now that Obama needs to do it they are complaining about it.. It seems hypocritical to me..

The Bush tax cuts are worth about $320 billion a year.. Or $3.2 trillion over the last 10 years.. I have read estimates that were much higher.. It may not fi the budget but it is a huge step in the right direction.. That is almost a third of the deficit wiped out with out spending a single dollar.. Or making a single cut.. Imagine that.. The Oil Subsidies are about $20 billion with another $56 billion in tax breaks.. Again.. Probably won't fix the budget either, but again another big step in the right direction.. At no cost.. No cuts required..

So the real question is?? Why not do them??

Because (1) raising taxes right now would delay recovery as less money would be available in the private sector and (2) some of us are already barely surviving, an increase in my tax burden would make it even harder.

As far as the oil subsidies, cut them. The only tax breaks I agree with are those to prevent foreign-earned and taxed income from being re-taxed here.

Yes that is true, but that does not address the issue put forth by the OP.. Why did the republicans approve of raising the debt limit 19 times and now that Obama needs to do it they are complaining about it.. It seems hypocritical to me..

I don't know, ask them and the democrats that voted for it. I'm not challenging the existence of hypocrisy in politics, but somebody had to grow a pair eventually and do something to get spending under control in a serious manner.

The Bush tax cuts are worth about $320 billion a year.. Or $3.2 trillion over the last 10 years..
Now add the cost of the Iraq war, which did not have to be fought ... the cost of the TARP, which was supposedly needed to prevent total collapse ... the cost of the ARRA, which was supposedly needed to jump start the economy ... that's about another $3 trillion.

Because (1) raising taxes right now would delay recovery as less money would be available in the private sector and (2) some of us are already barely surviving, an increase in my tax burden would make it even harder.

As far as the oil subsidies, cut them. The only tax breaks I agree with are those to prevent foreign-earned and taxed income from being re-taxed here.

No offense but that is a line of bull pucky!! What money for the private sector?? Republicans don't want to spend a dime on anything except to give it to the rich or the oil companies.. If you were paying attention.. The tax cuts that were to expire were only for those people making $250,000 or more a year.. Do you fall in that catagory?? I doubt it.. Letting the tax cuts expire would have helped the economy as there would have been a little more money to spend.. Nearly a third of the deficit would be gone.. No.. It isn't a fix, but we need some stimulus spending.. Or this money you talk about going to private sector..

In either case, the tax cuts should go.. There really is no arguement to keep them..

Welcome to the world of RW hypocricy.

Where the heck did you get that idea that raising taxes only on those who make over 250 grand a yr. will delay the recovery? You mention that your poor & your giving them your money & mine. Also as a so-caled conservative it's your party who voted against removing subsidaries to big oil.

You know what I say we give the GOP what it wants. Lets cut all programs for the poor and the Middle Class and give it all to the wealthy and corporations. That way when government shuts down because there is no revenue and the working people are pressed to the point of revolution, then they will have nobody to blame but themselves as they are being executed in the square. French Revolution all over again.

No offense but that is a line of bull pucky!! What money for the private sector?? Republicans don't want to spend a dime on anything except to give it to the rich or the oil companies.. If you were paying attention.. The tax cuts that were to expire were only for those people making $250,000 or more a year.. Do you fall in that catagory?? I doubt it.. Letting the tax cuts expire would have helped the economy as there would have been a little more money to spend.. Nearly a third of the deficit would be goneNo.. It isn't a fix, but we need some stimulus spending.. Or this money you talk about going to private sector..

In either case, the tax cuts should go.. There really is no arguement to keep them..

I can't have a serious conversation with you when you make stupid generalizations, so I'm ignoring the bold.

That said, Obama and the dems recognized that raising taxes through eliminating Bush's tax cuts would be bad for the economy because it would take away money people might have spent or invested and putting into the goverment's piggy bank. The most direct way to boost the economy is to put money directly into it through purchase. Government stimulus money didn't fix the economy. Most of it went to banks and large multi-national companies who didn't inject into the economy; they used it to stop themselves from going completely under water. The hope of Obama was to encourage banks to generate low-interest loans and get the housing market going again, which didn't happen. The 250k cuts weren't the only ones expiring, they were the only ones that were being heavily debated...so I can see the confusion there.

You know what I say we give the GOP what it wants. Lets cut all programs for the poor and the Middle Class and give it all to the wealthy and corporations. That way when government shuts down because there is no revenue and the working people are pressed to the point of revolution, then they will have nobody to blame but themselves as they are being executed in the square. French Revolution all over again.

That being said we will be living a Charles Dicken's tale. Let the chips fall as they may. Should have never bailed out wall-st.

Where the heck did you get that idea that raising taxes only on those who make over 250 grand a yr. will delay the recovery? You mention that your poor & your giving them your money & mine. Also as a so-caled conservative it's your party who voted against removing subsidaries to big oil.

Okay, (1) I never said I'm poor, and even if I were, I wouldn't want or expect to be handed everything on a silver platter just because some people have more. (2) ALL of the tax cuts were going to expire. Everybody quickly agreed to extend cuts for those under 250k, but debate anybody making above that. Again, I understand the confusion there. When you say "Bush tax cuts" if you only mean "for those making over 250k" perhaps you should mention that, as those weren't the only tax cuts that occurred under Bush. (3) I already said I'm in support of getting rid of oil subsidies. I'm aware that it wasn't well received amongst the elected republicans. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not running around purporting that republicans are god-sent angels here to solve all of our problems. I'm glad they're trying to cut spending, I'd be happier if more dems were more enthusiastic about making cuts too, but that doesn't mean I support every single thing that's happening.

Finally, it would maybe do you some good to recognize the flaws in your own party, instead of just continuously pointing out everything you hate about republicans. They aren't the only party who have ever drafted any form of legislation. Your guys were right there, voting right along with them. Nobody is innocent here.

i would agree, but if we are going to bite the bullet, we all need to bite the bullet. raise taxes, cut spending, be responsible. NO MORE CORPORATE WELFARE. reduce fraud in entitlement programs.

i would agree, but if we are going to bite the bullet, we all need to bite the bullet. raise taxes, cut spending, be responsible. NO MORE CORPORATE WELFARE. reduce fraud in entitlement programs.

I would agree with raising taxes if we weren't seeing unemployment go back and forth right now. When could set a goal that when GPD increases to x% or some other marker of a growing economy that taxes would raise at that point...but I don't think it would be wise to raise them right now.

Back
Top Bottom