• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP shuts down paycheck fairness act

Goshin

The Hammer of Chaos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It's pretty well established that the alleged pay gap is primarily caused by greater absenteeism, less overtime work, and similar factors.

Therefore I doubt this bill was actually necessary... and who knows what all was really in it, anyway.

When it comes to legislation, if in doubt, don't.

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
the bill had bipartison support in the house of reps.....
this is the gop after winning a few seats and getting some power. they were the party of NO, now they are the party of HELL NO.
You can bet that this issue will come up during the 2012 campaigns.

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
the bill had bipartison support in the house of reps.....
this is the gop after winning a few seats and getting some power. they were the party of NO, now they are the party of HELL NO.
You can bet that this issue will come up during the 2012 campaigns.
To be fair, since when has the "Rights of individuals" been an important issue in the past 30 years.

It's the economy stupid. Giving woman equal pay would be too much of a burden on businesses, killing jobs and destroying our... :coffeepap

You get the picture.

jambalaya

Cynical Optimist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Great. This bill is about more political power than it is about fairness. In my opinion the pay gap issue is highly, highly exaggerated. This is about women wanting an advantage over men not equality. It is just another show issue. Give it a nice sounding name so people say awww! and Democrats can cry about what meanies Republicans are.

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Good for them. Government has no business interfering in contracts between employees and employers.

VanceMack

MSG Benavides TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I would very much love to see the incident of actual pay discrimination brought forward where a man and a woman...doing equal work, with equal time, and equal responsibilities and equal outout face a 29 cent per dollar pay discrimination. Where that is demonstrated I would absolutely support a discrimination suit.

I know teachers who make the same salary with the same time doing the same work. Federal employees. State employees. Hospital administrators (truth be told...in independent situations female hospital administrators are often recruited with LESS experience and lower qualifications and are payed at at least an equal if not higher rate to satisfy certain PC quotas). Not my place to say if thats a good thing or a bad thing but i believe it DOES do a disservice to those females that bust their ass to EARN their seat at the table.

ptif219

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
There was no debate or amendments allowed this may be the reason it failed.

Michael418

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Great. This bill is about more political power than it is about fairness. In my opinion the pay gap issue is highly, highly exaggerated. This is about women wanting an advantage over men not equality. It is just another show issue. Give it a nice sounding name so people say awww! and Democrats can cry about what meanies Republicans are.
So women wanting equal pay for equal work is "wanting an advantage over men?"

Fascinating.

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
To be fair, since when has the "Rights of individuals" been an important issue in the past 30 years.

It's the economy stupid. Giving woman equal pay would be too much of a burden on businesses, killing jobs and destroying our... :coffeepap

You get the picture.
Did you get your wife's permission to express that opinion?:2razz:

Barbbtx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
There was no debate or amendments allowed this may be the reason it failed.
I'm not sure, but maybe this is what happened.
I heard one of the Republicans yesterday, I think, Saying they weren't going to work on anything in the lame duck until the Tax Extentions were settled.

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I'm not sure, but maybe this is what happened.
I heard one of the Republicans yesterday, I think, Saying they weren't going to work on anything in the lame duck until the Tax Extentions were settled.
The GOP has decided they are going to filibuster everything in the lame duck until the tax cuts are extended. Of course, even with a majority in the House, this attitude they have is going to bite them in the ass. The less they are willing to compromise, the less the Dems will be. I predict the 112th Congress will be known for getting the least done of any Congress.

Barbbtx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The GOP has decided they are going to filibuster everything in the lame duck until the tax cuts are extended. Of course, even with a majority in the House, this attitude they have is going to bite them in the ass. The less they are willing to compromise, the less the Dems will be. I predict the 112th Congress will be known for getting the least done of any Congress.
This is no time to raise taxes on anyone. This needs settled before they expire for everyone. The dems are being as stubborn as the Rep. All they have to do is agree to extend them all for two or three yrs and be done with it. That will give businesses at least a little certainty about what their taxes will be although to make them permanent would be better.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I don't support passing yet another bill on this issue.

We have several other acts, amendments to those acts, and even a new legislation aimed to aid at processing claims which are discriminatory regarding pay.

I see this one as merely another bill that is redundant.

MaggieD

Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
From the link:

. It also would have required employers to show that wage gaps are a result of factors other than gender, to collect better data on wages and develop training for women on salary negotiations.
What a nightmare this would create. Just another way for government to stand in the way of business. Also...."develop training for women on salary negotiations...."?? If that isn't a crock of baloney way to spend tax dollars, I don't know what is.

Oh, I'm a Republican....been in business my whole life. Non-union, by the way.

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Good for them. Government has no business interfering in contracts between employees and employers.
UNless it has to do with the government benefiting what YOU want :roll:
You conservatives are all over government laws that benefit what YOU want done. Youre are NO different than democrats regarding this point.

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is one of the reasons why they were voted OUT of office. They should be ashamed of themselves.... They are going to lose the Presidency because of this crap.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
From the link:

What a nightmare this would create. Just another way for government to stand in the way of business. Also...."develop training for women on salary negotiations...."?? If that isn't a crock of baloney way to spend tax dollars, I don't know what is.

Oh, I'm a Republican....been in business my whole life. Non-union, by the way.
If these certain women this is aimed at or "because of" really want to be considered 'equals' they should make it their own business to educate their selves on these key issues.

It's not the goverment's job to MAKE us equal where we are not. Men didnt' receive special trainging :shrug: it's not like they're born into a foreign world with a different standard of education and world of exposure their whole lives making them somehow smarter :shrug:

My mom was granted special salary cap permission at the hospital where she works because she does a GREAT job - and previous employers have tried to RECRUIT her away from where she's at. She didn't need special education to negotiate that, either - she did it without a college degree, purely with her job-skills and merit which is what things should be based on to begin with.

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This is one of the reasons why they were voted OUT of office. They should be ashamed of themselves.... They are going to lose the Presidency because of this crap.
I agree, the average person is against obstructionism. The average person on the street would get fired immediately for saying some of the things the GOPPERS are saying.

VanceMack

MSG Benavides TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I agree, the average person is against obstructionism. The average person on the street would get fired immediately for saying some of the things the GOPPERS are saying.
Thats why I laugh when people here are critical of the Libertarians...because seriously...the dems and republicans have done SUCH a great job of representing the people and running the government...(where is the sarcasm button...)

Barbbtx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
You seem to be missing the point. It is the Dems who are refusing to come to the table and work on the tax bill. They only have a couple weeks to get it done before EVERYONE"S taxes go up. Pelosi could call for a vote right now, but she won't. There are many dems who want to extend tax cuts to everyone.
People want to know what their taxes are going to be next yr. They want to work on stuff that can wait.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My memory fails me: Last year didn't Obama make some sort of cut or alteration that "let people keep $13.00 per week?" - hoping to stimulate the economy?
What was that about?

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
You seem to be missing the point. It is the Dems who are refusing to come to the table and work on the tax bill. They only have a couple weeks to get it done before EVERYONE"S taxes go up. Pelosi could call for a vote right now, but she won't. There are many dems who want to extend tax cuts to everyone.
People want to know what their taxes are going to be next yr. They want to work on stuff that can wait.
but is the GOP openly saying that "nothing will get done"...until they get their way. They will take their balls and go home if they don't like the way the game is going..

Michael418

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The Conservative strategy of effectively shutting down the ability of the government to get things done is dangerous. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that Senator Kyl's stalling on the treaty with Russia borders on treason. These Republicans would actually endanger the country in order to get Obama out of office.

VanceMack

MSG Benavides TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My memory fails me: Last year didn't Obama make some sort of cut or alteration that "let people keep $13.00 per week?" - hoping to stimulate the economy?
What was that about?
It was actually every 2 weeks (instead of the Bush taxpayer rebate of 1 time $250.00 checks)...did ya FEEL the love?

Top Bottom