• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senators steer clear of Trump as rift deepens

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

The Breakers resort is about 3 miles from Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach. When more than 20 Republican senators headed there last weekend, though, only three attended an event with Donald Trump.

And some say they steered clear of the former president intentionally as they raised money to take back the Senate.

“People appreciate his input. But I think a lot of people see a lot of other opportunities elsewhere for 2024,” said one Senate Republican, who was granted anonymity to describe the intraparty dynamics.

“And so while he has a role to play, I think a lot of people are tired of looking backwards and they want to look forward,” the senator added. “So, I did not go see him.”

--

This is simply one article, with several 'name withheld' quotes from GOP Senators, and several Senators going on the record as to why they apparently 'snubbed' Trump.

I'll also add the effect described in the article appears be a midterm calculus, and I can make no claims about 2024.

However, some of us waiting/hoping for a fissure to occur between the GOP Congress and Trump, may find the article interesting.

Enjoy!

--

This is simply one article, with several 'name withheld' quotes from GOP Senators, and several Senators going on the record as to why they apparently 'snubbed' Trump.

I'll also add the effect described in the article appears be a midterm calculus, and I can make no claims about 2024.

However, some of us waiting/hoping for a fissure to occur between the GOP Congress and Trump, may find the article interesting.

Enjoy!
LOL Not as much as Democrats are sprinting away from the sitting President.

Hell, gap tooth Abrams wouldn't cross the street in her hometown to appear with him when he's speechifying on her favorite topic of election reform.

--

Enjoy!
The time for them to have a riff was at the impeachment hearings. Its a bit late for that. Sniveling leeches afraid of being primaried pfft

Like you couldnt do the right thing because you were skeeered of being primaried is the most chicken shit thing these critters could do. They make fortunes most of the world could only dream of!

--

Enjoy!
They are smart to avoid him. He is toxic.

The Republican Party needs to ask themselves if they want to try to win with the deplorable vote or without.

The deplorable vote is limited. Trump drew some political neophytes out of the woodwork, people who have never/rarely been involved in politics. They are poorly informed, misinformed, and motivated by hatred. But there are only so many of them. And some have perished due to foolish vaccination choices. No more are coming forward.

And then there are the traditional small-government Republicans who once claimed the moral high ground. They held their noses and voted for Trump because of the SCOTUS, but that is no longer a concern. And if the SCOTUS tosses Roe, that becomes more of a motivator for liberals than conservatives.

If Republicans want to win at all costs, the cost may be continued decline of party values. Or they can try to reclaim morality and hope to win on principle. It's an interesting dynamic to watch.

The ‘rift’ isn’t deep enough, yet, imo.

If at all!

As I described above, this appears to be a midterm strategy.

But that mindset may leave open the possibility of a 2024 defection, if the opportunity presented itself, as unlikely as that may seem to be.

Also, remember these are GOP Senators. The house is an entirely different matter.

--

Enjoy!
Since the Senate is infested with GOP Elites who'd rather do anything to damage Trump than lose their big money donors and lobbyists, it's pretty certain that these "unnamed" Senators are of that ilk.

The fact is, the Republican rank and file know what those cretins are now...and those cretins are living on borrowed time.

But hey...if you need examples of who those people are, just read this news article...

GOP Senators Mitt Romney, Jim Inhofe, Lindsey Graham, and Richard Burr all did not show up for a vote on an amendment to defund Joe Biden’s vaccine mandates.

Them not showing killed the amendment. This also gave Democrats an excuse that the opposition to not defunding them was bipartisan.

Like I said...they'll do anything.

LOL Not as much as Democrats are sprinting away from the sitting President.

Hell, gap tooth Abrams wouldn't cross the street in her hometown to appear with him when he's speechifying on her favorite topic of election reform.

Even though the topic is Trump/GOP, I'll entertain yours.

"Yeah, I agree"

These two topics are a sad reflection on the efficacy of our two-party system.

The time for them to have a riff was at the impeachment hearings. Its a bit late for that. Sniveling leeches afraid of being primaried pfft

True.

But anything, large or small, that can play a part in defeating Trump in 2024, is O.K. in my book.

GOP Senators Mitt Romney, Jim Inhofe, Lindsey Graham, and Richard Burr all did not show up for a vote on an amendment to defund Joe Biden’s vaccine mandates.​
Them not showing killed the amendment. This also gave Democrats an excuse that the opposition to not defunding them was bipartisan.​

Good for Mitt, keep up the good work.

The right distancing themselves from Trump is inevitable and will accelerate over the next few months as more and more do it. At some point he'll threaten a third party run because all republicans will be RINOs in his mind. He will take down the republican party if they don't break the connection.

Since the Senate is infested with GOP Elites who'd rather do anything to damage Trump than lose their big money donors and lobbyists, it's pretty certain that these "unnamed" Senators are of that ilk.

The fact is, the Republican rank and file know what those cretins are now...and those cretins are living on borrowed time.

But hey...if you need examples of who those people are, just read this news article...

GOP Senators Mitt Romney, Jim Inhofe, Lindsey Graham, and Richard Burr all did not show up for a vote on an amendment to defund Joe Biden’s vaccine mandates.​
Them not showing killed the amendment. This also gave Democrats an excuse that the opposition to not defunding them was bipartisan.​

Well the way I see it, is Trump is toxic on a large portion of the national stage, but is omnipotent among his base.

Which is why Trump has the House heart, minds, and soul, but the Senate only goes along for the required ride - while they'd rather not.

The right distancing themselves from Trump is inevitable and will accelerate over the next few months as more and more do it.

Yes, because of Senate midterm expediency.

At some point he'll threaten a third party run because all republicans will be RINOs in his mind. He will take down the republican party if they don't break the connection.

If the immediate above were to occur, it would be in the run-up to the Presidential election in 2024.

However, I do not think a war is likely, with perhaps the only possible exception being if DeSantis Challenges Trump, which is indeed possible. Trump knows DeSantis is his (only) possible substantive challenger, too.

Now they get to deal with the evil side of Donald Trump that sane America had to put up with.

Well the way I see it, is Trump is toxic on a large portion of the national stage, but is omnipotent among his base.

Which is why Trump has the House heart, minds, and soul, but the Senate only goes along for the required ride - while they'd rather not.
The Senators are trying to walk that fine line...making their voters think they are doing stuff for them, while actually doing stuff for their donors and lobbyists.

And yes...Trump is toxic to them because he doesn't work for their donors. He works for the American people.

The Senators, like I said, will do anything. Even that sleazy tactic of not showing up to vote.

The Senators are trying to walk that fine line...making their voters think they are doing stuff for them, while actually doing stuff for their donors and lobbyists.

And yes...Trump is toxic to them because he doesn't work for their donors. He works for the American people.

The Senators, like I said, will do anything. Even that sleazy tactic of not showing up to vote.
Stop....Trump works for himself.

They are smart to avoid him. He is toxic.

The Republican Party needs to ask themselves if they want to try to win with the deplorable vote or without.

The deplorable vote is limited. Trump drew some political neophytes out of the woodwork, people who have never/rarely been involved in politics. They are poorly informed, misinformed, and motivated by hatred. But there are only so many of them. And some have perished due to foolish vaccination choices. No more are coming forward.

And then there are the traditional small-government Republicans who once claimed the moral high ground. They held their noses and voted for Trump because of the SCOTUS, but that is no longer a concern. And if the SCOTUS tosses Roe, that becomes more of a motivator for liberals than conservatives.

If Republicans want to win at all costs, the cost may be continued decline of party values. Or they can try to reclaim morality and hope to win on principle. It's an interesting dynamic to watch.

I'll stop short of using the term 'deplorable', but will very much agree with the content of your post.

Thanks for the reply.

--

Enjoy!
Two of the 20 Senators made comments to the press about not meeting with Trump - but did so anonymously. They represent the majority of Republican Senators. Afraid of the base, afraid of Trump, and afraid to say anything that might result in derision by Trump.

Here's what I think is basically going on. Yes, all they care about is winning. They recognize that without trump, they lose a lot of his supporters which is most of their voters, and with trump they lose other voters and he's a petty dictator, so they want to have it both ways.

I suspect they're thinking it's harmless to try to placate him for the mid-terms but they'll try to prevent him being nominated for 2024.

Two of the 20 Senators made comments to the press about not meeting with Trump - but did so anonymously. They represent the majority of Republican Senators. Afraid of the base, afraid of Trump, and afraid to say anything that might result in derision by Trump.

Yeah, I suspect this is a mid-term coping mechanism. Come '24, the will be singing Trump's praise!

--

Enjoy!
IMHO, Trump is on the verge of becoming his own worst enemy - or snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. There isn't another Republican out there that can energize the right like Trump, but he can be a massive dickhead, and, obviously, a poor loser. My biggest concern no is that the Republican hierarchy is more concerned about getting back to the "good ol' boy network" days - even if they become a permanent minority. McConnell is making noises that way.

ETA: Victor Davis Hanson wrote a book The Case For Trump where he compared Trump to the Alan Ladd character in Shane; rode into town, squared it away and rode out. Point being that Trump got the GOP to take off the gloves and fight, but maybe he isn't the right guy to hang around as sheriff afterwords. I'm not sure it's time to ride off into the sunset yet, but it's possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom