• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senators read Pence riot act before shutdown votes

His point is simple: a congressperson generally need focus only on their state or district's polling, and even then it is when they are approaching a re-election campaign. Meanwhile, a President has to be concerned with national polling numbers all the time, and all potential swing-state polling approaching a re-election (that is, the other side will vote against him very likely and his side will very likely vote for him).

Someone like Trump is a bit of a special case, because his campaign and governance style is to pointedly appeal to a very specific set of people. He has done nothing to try to expand his support in office, so it is absolutely crucial for him to keep that base (while, I suppose, praying the Dems run another Hillary in 2020, with just as inept a campaign as she).

These facts inform the poll-reader as to which polls matter when, to whom, and how much. Yes, it matters that Pelosi is looking better, but that sort of polling rather matters more for the next Presidential campaign, not her own re-election campaign. (She's essentially got a safe seat, no?).
I appreciate your input, even though I’m already fully aware of everything you said. I also understood the other member’s initial simple point/opinion however, that wasn’t what I was referring to regarding his post. After opining on Pelosi, he abruptly went completely off the rails, ranting about America’s supposed failure to provide aid to illegal immigrants (?) and called for our government to declare an international emergency (not something any one country can do on it’s own), then continued on, insulting both our country and our military (which I gave over 20 years of my life to) by outright lying, saying that we don’t provide humanitarian aid to people around the world suffering from wars and environmental disasters. A slap in the face to all the American service members who regularly provide medical care, food/water, and other care to desperate people all over the world. Far more than his country does.

If it was a "closed door meeting" how does The Hill know what was said? Possibly from leaks from the Senators that did the talking? A real accurate source.

The link says it. Republican lawmakers in the room. The same way they almost always get their information. From someone in the room who tells them. And they even heard directly from two Senators who were in the room, and told them what was said. John Cornyn and Bill Cassidy. In fact, from the article itself:

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) told reporters after the Senate votes that Pence got an “earful” from senators.

It always helps to open the link and answer your own questions.

I appreciate your input, even though I’m already fully aware of everything you said. I also understood the other member’s initial simple point/opinion however, that wasn’t what I was referring to regarding his post. After opining on Pelosi, he abruptly went completely off the rails, ranting about America’s supposed failure to provide aid to illegal immigrants (?) and called for our government to declare an international emergency (not something any one country can do on it’s own), then continued on, insulting both our country and our military (which I gave over 20 years of my life to) by outright lying, saying that we don’t provide humanitarian aid to people around the world suffering from wars and environmental disasters. A slap in the face to all the American service members who regularly provide medical care, food/water, and other care to desperate people all over the world. Far more than his country does.

Apdst said “Not securing wall funding will lose them votes.”

You noted that apdst does not pay attention to polls (the more appropriate statement would be that he does not understand them, but anyway).

F&L first did as I described. The rest – two sentences in separate “paragraphs” – was about OTHER things that affect polls, including international polls. Now, international polls do not directly reflect on a politician’s chance of success, but they may indirectly do it.

If a president comes in and pisses everyone in the world off, people who think it’s a bad thing to do that will have lower opinion of that president and the party that failed to stop him. So it was really on point, even if he didn’t do it at great length like I end up doing sometimes.

And what he said about provisions of aid is not a slap in the face to the people doing it. It's a slap in the face to the kind of politician who doesn't want to send aid. Remember Peurto Rico after the hurricane v. Trump?

It was on point and generally true. Our aid has been worse under Trump. That's not the fault of service members nor did he say so. They're following orders. The person giving the orders is the real problem, and polls reflect it.

These people need to be out of power for a long time.

i agree. i hope that Democrats are working on the youth vote big time. they need people on the ground at colleges giving speeches about student loan debt. if the young could be bothered to show up at rates even approaching the retired, the Republican party would have some real problems fairly quickly.

And what he said about provisions of aid is not a slap in the face to the people doing it. It's a slap in the face to the kind of politician who doesn't want to send aid. Remember Peurto Rico after the hurricane v. Trump?

It was on point and generally true. Our aid has been worse under Trump. That's not the fault of service members nor did he say so. They're following orders. The person giving the orders is the real problem, and polls reflect it.

Meanwhile International Aid agencies are condemning the deplorable conditions of those arrested, especially children, If Americans had any concept of brotherly love they WOULD declare an INTERNATIONAL emergency and start shipping food, medicine, blankets and clothes...these people are sick, bedraggled, and tired, nothing in their pockets trying to escape tyranny only to be arrested and confined by it.

Now the world knows that when there is an international disaster America will send bombers, war planes and ship and special forces...not food and medicine.

We’re gonna have to agree to disagree on our interpretations of the other poster’s comments and ltheir legitimatacy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom