• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senators push to end MLB antitrust status

They are continuing to straight up lie just like Trump. Trump named Ted Cruz lying Ted and that nickname definitely deserves to stick. Lying Ted wants to be president. He is going to run again.

Cruz should not waste his time & money. He has zero charisma.

Many libruls said the same about Trump in 2016.

Trump had a following from his TV show(s). That says a lot about the caliber of the people who made him President.

Trump had a following from his TV show(s). That says a lot about the caliber of the people who made him President.

You think it was about his TV show? That's desperate.

Its remarkable to watch a major American political party turn to the strategy of tyrants - using government policy to punish those who disagree with them.

I suppose I should have seen this coming. A number of years ago, they sent a letter to the NFL, warning them off advising Americans on how to sign up for the healthcare under the ACA.

They went after Delta as well. Business is now aware that investments in GOP controlled areas may not be the best idea until things work out.
I heard on the news that they’re trying to build a grassroots, small donor base which typically isn’t a bad thing. But what is absurd is their defense of Citizens United and their inability to challenge it, criticize it, or acknowledge it, and conservative justices they voted into the Supreme Court made that possible.

Ted Cruz doesn’t care about average people. He ran away to Cancun when people in his state starved and died from a natural disaster. He is only interested in exploiting the grievances of the Trump base for his own power.

Ted Cruz reminds me of a quote from the book Strongman by Ruth Ben Ghiat.

Elites are the Authoritarian’s most important promoters and collaborators. Afraid of losing their class, gender, or race privileges influential individuals bring the insurgent into the political system thinking that he can be controlled.

She goes on to say that after elitists bring insurgents into the political system thinking they can be controlled, the elites need to act as if they’re going to solve the problems of the insurgents and that usually involves persecuting the enemies, because elitists don’t care about solving any real problems. Elitists simply want to maintain power, and seek to exploit insurgents on one hand and persecute enemies on the other. In this case the enemies are Delta and MLB.

Again, if a Democratic governor used the power of their office to persecute, bully, tax, and punish a company for refusing to serve gay people, republicans would have a far different reaction. They’re only principal is power.

While I think threatening their antitrust exemption as political retaliation is completely unethical, I never understood why MLB needs an antitrust exemption in the first place when none of the other leagues seem to need one. What makes baseball special?
JacksonPA had it right in his comment about the viability of MLB and Sherman Anti-trust.

It takes a tremendous long time to build a competent ML baseball player. Virtually all of the bill for that time after High School is funded by professional baseball at some level. Instructional leagues, AA, AAA all to prepare guys to actually be able to play on a ML diamond without making fools of themselves AND they STILL manage to make fools of themselves on occasion. Plus, you have to scout Internationally for players to fill out your professional organization. MLB probably lifts more people out of poverty internationally than any of the other major team sports with the exception of Premier League soccer which might do as well in that regard.

Baseball is along with Soccer the hardest of the team sports to play. Baseball and Soccer are about equal. Hockey next. Basketball is next and finally American football is the easiest to learn and become competent playing. Far harder to be competent enough to play in a 162 game MLB season than for a 16 game NFL season or an 82 game NBA season. Yet both the NFL and the NBA get their players from college ball where coaches and schools make fortunes and the players make next to nothing...in many cases do not even get a good college education out of the deal. College baseball is fun to watch for baseball enthusiasts but fairly useless in preparation for professional baseball as the hitters have to convert from metal bats to wood bats in order to play pro ball....a huge difference. Virtually nobody comes out of college baseball without having to change their swing to play pro ball. Great numbers of college players never successfully make the conversion.

Baseball already has problems. Even as a fan you have to learn how to enjoy baseball as it is a tremendously multifaceted game. People just don't put in the time. Baseball tried to counter that by making it a power game. That has failed miserably and MLB has admitted its mistake and is making a concerted effort this year to redress that mistake. The easiest way to explain this particular dilemma is: If you think a 1-0 game is boring, baseball is not for you.

Reactions: lwf
Red Sox making fools of themselves as we speak. My liquor budget might not hold up if this continues for the full 162.

}Democrats. The bestest most wonderfullest people EVER.

Republican Sens. Mike Lee (Utah) and Ted Cruz (Texas) have joined calls to end MLB's antitrust exemption following its decision to pull the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta.

MLB announced the move on Friday, saying it would relocate the game in protest of Georgia’s voting restrictions signed into law last week. The decision has sparked blowback from GOP lawmakers across the country.

GOP Rep. Jeff Duncan (S.C.) said earlier Friday that he had told his staff to start drafting legislation to remove MLB’s decades-old antitrust exemption “in light of @MLB's stance to undermine election integrity laws.”
==========================================================
I wouldn't expect anything less petty from Ted Cruz.
Doesn't he have more important issues at the border of his own state?!?
Texans tell this ass hat to stop working for his party and start working for you...

Reactions: lwf
They are no longer trying to hide their slimy aim. It's now all out in the open, undiluted. The thing that gets me is they still act like it's for other things, such as still pushing the vote cheating/fraud claim when questioned about it. They had to do something because of the well known Democrat voter fraud in the 2020 election.:rolleyes:

It's because these people (Repubs) have nothing of substance to offer. Where's Trump's health care plan? What are they doing besides looking at explicit pictures on Matt Gaetz's phone?

Matt Gaetz is such a trust fund baby & sleazy manipulator who thought he could get away with murder due to his dad being rich. He was in league with this Joel Greenberg character who I think is already in jail.

Republican Sens. Mike Lee (Utah) and Ted Cruz (Texas) have joined calls to end MLB's antitrust exemption following its decision to pull the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta.

MLB announced the move on Friday, saying it would relocate the game in protest of Georgia’s voting restrictions signed into law last week. The decision has sparked blowback from GOP lawmakers across the country.

GOP Rep. Jeff Duncan (S.C.) said earlier Friday that he had told his staff to start drafting legislation to remove MLB’s decades-old antitrust exemption “in light of @MLB's stance to undermine election integrity laws.”

Conservatives love extortion ........... go straight to jail!

Have they said anything about Matt Gaetz?

It's because these people (Repubs) have nothing of substance to offer. Where's Trump's health care plan? What are they doing besides looking at explicit pictures on Matt Gaetz's phone?

Matt Gaetz is such a trust fund baby & sleazy manipulator who thought he could get away with murder due to his dad being rich. He was in league with this Joel Greenberg character who I think is already in jail.
1617574807299.png

They are in disarray because they have nothing positive to offer. Only negative designs as the Dems push forward to save this country.
They are stuck in 'reactive mode' and that's generally a fail.

What about The Churches???

Before I can respond to your "what about churches", we need to clear up two bald faced lies in your poster.

1. Nascar was not boycotted for banning the confederate flag/ it was boycotted over it's leadership failing to come clean and apologize to the fans after the Bubba Wallace noose hoax.

2. MLB is not being boycotted for standing up for voting rights as they are doing no such thing. There is nothing in the Georgia bill that inhibits or makes it difficult for anyone to vote.

The pathetic Republicans sure are pouty these days. They must miss their Alpha Lord The Donald.

WAIT A MINUTE!!

I thought Repubs were all for personal liberties, like a baker refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple based on their religious beliefs, BUT .........

When MLB wants to move the all star game all of a sudden it isn't about personal liberty it is about "cancel culture" and fighting back against a business decision based on politics??

AND bet you all my last penny, the Repubs on this forum won't see the irony.

Back
Top Bottom