• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senators push to end MLB antitrust status

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Republican Sens. Mike Lee (Utah) and Ted Cruz (Texas) have joined calls to end MLB's antitrust exemption following its decision to pull the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta.

MLB announced the move on Friday, saying it would relocate the game in protest of Georgia’s voting restrictions signed into law last week. The decision has sparked blowback from GOP lawmakers across the country.

GOP Rep. Jeff Duncan (S.C.) said earlier Friday that he had told his staff to start drafting legislation to remove MLB’s decades-old antitrust exemption “in light of @MLB's stance to undermine election integrity laws.”
==========================================================
I wouldn't expect anything less petty from Ted Cruz.

So in just the past month the GOP has positioned itself against helping American families, opening American schools, distributing vaccines to get shots in American arms, rebuilding American infrastructure, and now baseball. What will they come out against next week, mom and apple pie?

Republican Sens. Mike Lee (Utah) and Ted Cruz (Texas) have joined calls to end MLB's antitrust exemption following its decision to pull the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta.

MLB announced the move on Friday, saying it would relocate the game in protest of Georgia’s voting restrictions signed into law last week. The decision has sparked blowback from GOP lawmakers across the country.

GOP Rep. Jeff Duncan (S.C.) said earlier Friday that he had told his staff to start drafting legislation to remove MLB’s decades-old antitrust exemption “in light of @MLB's stance to undermine election integrity laws.”
This idea is a nonstarter

So in just the past month the GOP has positioned itself against helping Americans families, opening American schools, distributing vaccines to get shots in American arms, rebuilding American infrastructure, and now baseball. What will they come out against next week, mom and apple pie?

They are in disarray because they have nothing positive to offer. Only negative designs as the Dems push forward to save this country.

It's nice to see that their stand against the dreaded cancel culture melts away the moment anyone doesn't give enthusiastic support for their Jim Crow policies and rhetoric.

Just another example to pile atop the mountain of others demonstrating why the Republican party is a pathetic assortment of unserious individuals who aren't even remotely interested in doing the actual work needed to govern a country competently. If you want white grievance politics, childish stunts, and Bibles thumped? They are the people for you. Don't expect anything else though.

They are making it harder to vote and crying victim.

I wonder when we will start seeing them wearing Repub party arm bands? Maybe a likeness of Abe Lincoln, the first Repub president. They are working nights in TX in order to establish TX as a one-party fascist state.

It's nice to see that their stand against the dreaded cancel culture melts away the moment anyone doesn't give enthusiastic support for their Jim Crow policies and rhetoric.

Just another example to pile atop the mountain of others demonstrating why the Republican party is a pathetic assortment of unserious individuals who aren't even remotely interested in doing the actual work needed to govern a country competently. If you want white grievance politics, childish stunts, and Bibles thumped? They are the people for you. Don't expect anything else though.

This is one-party fascism masquerading as Jim Crow.

Removing MLB's antitrust exemption is GOING NOWHERE. Its more Performative Art on the part of the GOP which is now simply chock full of Performative Artists. They have no interest in anything real nor even intentioned.

Removing MLB's antitrust exemption is GOING NOWHERE. Its more Performative Art on the part of the GOP which is now simply chock full of Performative Artists. They have no interest in anything real nor even intentioned.

Matt Gaetz And Ted Cruz kind of exemplify what happened to the GOP. They realized there was better opportunity for career advancement in stunts than actually striving to get important things done for the American people. So they will go read Green Eggs and Ham on the floor of the Senate or fly off to Wyoming to attack their own caucus leadership for caring about little things like a violent attack on the Capitol. They lie and they cheat and they steal all in the name of career advancement.

Actual ideas? Plans to help their constituents? Coherent ideologies? You would have better luck voting for a rock.

While I think threatening their antitrust exemption as political retaliation is completely unethical, I never understood why MLB needs an antitrust exemption in the first place when none of the other leagues seem to need one. What makes baseball special?

Fascists are lazy & get fat. Look at Herman Goering, the head of the Nazi-era Luftwaffe. He was obese - too much food & drink & too little exercise. Watch the Repubs all tub out.

Good thing they lack any power.

the more the GOP lashes out against businesses, the less in donations they will get.
That’s what I think too. Trump was really good at never missing an opportunity to blow his leg off while attacking somebody non stop and playing victim. He did it to Fauci, the Khan family, and many others. I guess this is where the GOP is now. I would be better if they just let this blow over, but no. The need to go out and attack.

Ted Cruz is lying his ass off saying MLB hates voter ID laws. What Georgia did isn’t about voter ID laws. They made it a crime to hand people water who are standing in long lines. They made it harder to vote absentee and drop off ballots. Lines will be longer. It’s an attempt to suppress voting, but, yeah, Cruz is full of shit and they are fighting to raise taxes on businesses for speaking up or moving out of state. Could you imagine if a Democratic governor tried to impose taxes and regulations on businesses for refusing to serve a gay wedding?

That’s what I think too. Trump was really good at never missing an opportunity to blow his leg off while attacking somebody non stop and playing victim. He did it to Fauci, the Khan family, and many others. I guess this is where the GOP is now. I would be better if they just let this blow over, but no. The need to go out and attack.

Ted Cruz is lying his ass off saying MLB hates voter ID laws. What Georgia did isn’t about voter ID laws. They made it a crime to hand people water who are standing in long lines. They made it harder to vote absentee and drop off ballots. Lines will be longer. It’s an attempt to suppress voting, but, yeah, Cruz is full of shit and they are fighting to raise taxes on businesses for speaking up or moving out of state. Could you imagine if a Democratic governor tried to impose taxes and regulations on businesses for refusing to serve a gay wedding?
They went after Delta as well. Business is now aware that investments in GOP controlled areas may not be the best idea until things work out.

While I think threatening their antitrust exemption as political retaliation is completely unethical, I never understood why MLB needs an antitrust exemption in the first place when none of the other leagues seem to need one. What makes baseball special?

It's because that in order to remain viable they have to violate provisions of the Sherman anti-trust law.

They are no longer trying to hide their slimy aim. It's now all out in the open, undiluted. The thing that gets me is they still act like it's for other things, such as still pushing the vote cheating/fraud claim when questioned about it. They had to do something because of the well known Democrat voter fraud in the 2020 election.:rolleyes:

Why do Rethuglicans love "cancel culture" so much while pretending to hate it?

God Bless Ted Cruz and Mike Lee. If MLB is going to dip it's wick into politics, they should lose their antitrust exemption.

They are in disarray because they have nothing positive to offer. Only negative designs as the Dems push forward to save this country.

You mean the Dems attempt to destroy this country.

They are no longer trying to hide their slimy aim. It's now all out in the open, undiluted. The thing that gets me is they still act like it's for other things, such as still pushing the vote cheating/fraud claim when questioned about it. They had to do something because of the well known Democrat voter fraud in the 2020 election.:rolleyes:
They are continuing to straight up lie just like Trump. Trump named Ted Cruz lying Ted and that nickname definitely deserves to stick. Lying Ted wants to be president. He is going to run again.

Back
Top Bottom