• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senator's opposition likely sinks Trump judicial nominee (an hour ago)

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.apnews.com/013cd18175284824b8391768e4c4f20c

WASHINGTON (AP) — A second Republican senator, Tim Scott of South Carolina, has said he will vote against President Donald Trump’s nominee to serve as a district judge in North Carolina, likely dooming the prospects of Thomas Farr filling the nation’s longest court vacancy.
==========================================
Farr has obvious anti-black bias as shown by his past decisions in n Carolina. 'the NAACP have heavily criticized Farr for his work defending state laws found to have discriminated against African-Americans.' Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) announced Thursday that he would not vote for Farr, joining Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona and 49 Democratic lawmakers in opposing the nominee.

Any conservatives want to chime in with how this man's life has been destroyed?

Was he falsely accused of rape by a lying liberal psychology professor?

Why? Sounds like objections are actually based on what the nominee did as part of his official duties rather than some nebulous thirty year old "recovered memory". System working as intended.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A second Republican senator, Tim Scott of South Carolina, has said he will vote against President Donald Trump’s nominee to serve as a district judge in North Carolina, likely dooming the prospects of Thomas Farr filling the nation’s longest court vacancy.
Farr has obvious anti-black bias as shown by his past decisions in n Carolina. 'the NAACP have heavily criticized Farr for his work defending state laws found to have discriminated against African-Americans.' Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) announced Thursday that he would not vote for Farr, joining Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona and 49 Democratic lawmakers in opposing the nominee.

If Trump really wants that judge, all he has to do is hold off on his nomination until January when the new senate convenes. If trump has already nominated him, McConnell just doesn't bring his nomination up for a vote until the new senate convenes. Flake will be gone, replaced by a Democrat. But Trump will have new Republican senators from Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Florida. Then don't forget Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia who voted AYE on Kavanaugh.

Why? Sounds like objections are actually based on what the nominee did as part of his official duties rather than some nebulous thirty year old "recovered memory". System working as intended.

Kavanaugh is a joke. He should've never made it out of committee.

Thanks go to Senators Scott and Flake.

If Trump really wants that judge, all he has to do is hold off on his nomination until January when the new senate convenes. If trump has already nominated him, McConnell just doesn't bring his nomination up for a vote until the new senate convenes. Flake will be gone, replaced by a Democrat. But Trump will have new Republican senators from Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Florida. Then don't forget Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia who voted AYE on Kavanaugh.

Probably, if it was just Flake who torpedoed this nomination I’d give a big F you to Flake and renominate him, but Tim Scott has been a reliable R vote and I would not re-nominate a judge he opposes as a favor to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to what discriminatory laws he allegedly defended. I do think Scott made the right call though, the fact he denied even knowing of the post cards and then evidence of him indeed knowing about them showed up would have caused me to not support him as well.

Probably, if it was just Flake who torpedoed this nomination I’d give a big F you to Flake and renominate him, but Tim Scott has been a reliable R vote and I would not re-nominate a judge he opposes as a favor to him

I don't know a thing about Farr. These district judges usually slide under almost everyone's radar. But Trump lives in his own egotistical world, I doubt he would listen to Tim Scott or anyone else.

The Republican tide is beginning to turn. Democrats said they are waiting for the first Republicans in Congress to turn on Trump before beginning impeachment steps.

I have always liked Scott, I remember there was one time I disagreed with something that he had did or said but can't remember what the details were.

Pretty much agree with you on the flake, he can go grandstand in a pool full of feces.

I'm curious as to what discriminatory laws he allegedly defended. I do think Scott made the right call though, the fact he denied even knowing of the post cards and then evidence of him indeed knowing about them showed up would have caused me to not support him as well.

Farr defended NC's re-districting map that the SCOTUS said was done "with surgical precision."

North Carolina redistricting delay denied - SCOTUSblog
North Carolina redistricting wars return - SCOTUSblog

I don't know a thing about Farr. These district judges usually slide under almost everyone's radar. But Trump lives in his own egotistical world, I doubt he would listen to Tim Scott or anyone else.

I don’t think Trump knows Farr either, I think he’s just moving up people recommended by conservative groups. I find Trump is willing to compromise when it benefits him to do so, and I hope he realizes now is one of those times

I'm not sure why this was considered a bad thing, it helped the African American candidates in those districts.

But not in others. Out of 13 districts only 2 were skewed toward Democrats. The other 11 were stacked for the GOP.

The Republican tide is beginning to turn. Democrats said they are waiting for the first Republicans in Congress to turn on Trump before beginning impeachment steps.

1 judicial nomination does not represent a "turning tide".

But not in others. Out of 13 districts only 2 were skewed toward Democrats. The other 11 were stacked for the GOP.

This is what gerrymandering does and is a common practice. It hurt Democratic politicians in general, however it didn't hurt the African American districts in fact it solidified their hold ensuring that they would have representation. If it were done in a way that split the African American vote among several districts that garaunteed they would not have a representative, then I would be in 100% agreement that it was wrong and discriminatory.

I don’t think Trump knows Farr either, I think he’s just moving up people recommended by conservative groups. I find Trump is willing to compromise when it benefits him to do so, and I hope he realizes now is one of those times

We'll see. Somehow though, I think he'll take it as a personal rebuke. That seems to be SOP with him. Everything is personal to him when most things shouldn't be. Politics is politics. Trump needs to take some lessons from Reagan who realized politics being what it is hardly ever took anything personal. He let a lot of that stuff just roll off his back.

This is not indicative of any sort of tide turning. This isn’t even the first judge Trump nominated that Scott effectively torpedoed.

Back
Top Bottom