• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senator's opposition likely sinks Trump judicial nominee (an hour ago)

she bragged about getting an obvious rapist off IIRC-mainly by destroying the distraught victim

Well, no, that's a lie - the main problem with the case was an incompetent prosecutor who threw away some of the physical evidence.

death threats tend to be the stuff lefties do. Kavanaugh's family was threatened

And then we have Susan Collins, who had a female staffer threatened with rape.

The Left can be so charming.

Kavanaugh is a joke. He should've never made it out of committee.

Well now he’ll be chugging skis while ruling on the second amendment and abortion, jokes on you lefty

Well now he’ll be chugging skis while ruling on the second amendment and abortion, jokes on you lefty

Trump/Pence would never pick anyone to my tastes politically, but they could've at least picked a decent man.

Look, this is a tired topic and I know I did take a potshot in the beginning that reopened old wounds. Rather than re litigate this over again with you, I'll supply you with a video. I agree with everything they say in the video. If you're curious as to my perspective it is contained within. As a former lawyer yourself, I would think you would be interested in pursuing some of the threads that Seder dangles, if you can set the holy grail of a conservative judiciary aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watched this twice-very unsupportive of the Dems claims given the house on July 1 was more than 11 miles from the club Two Door claims she had been swimming at. How did she manage to end up 11 miles away?

Trump/Pence would never pick anyone to my tastes politically, but they could've at least picked a decent man.

I know at least 5 lawyers how have argued in front of him-3 dems-two GOP and they all say he is a thoroughly decent judge. I trust them over partisans on a board like this

watched this twice-very unsupportive of the Dems claims given the house on July 1 was more than 11 miles from the club Two Door claims she had been swimming at. How did she manage to end up 11 miles away?

Evidence is a tool of patriarchical oppression against womyn

https://www.apnews.com/013cd18175284824b8391768e4c4f20c

WASHINGTON (AP) — A second Republican senator, Tim Scott of South Carolina, has said he will vote against President Donald Trump’s nominee to serve as a district judge in North Carolina, likely dooming the prospects of Thomas Farr filling the nation’s longest court vacancy.
==========================================
Farr has obvious anti-black bias as shown by his past decisions in n Carolina. 'the NAACP have heavily criticized Farr for his work defending state laws found to have discriminated against African-Americans.' Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) announced Thursday that he would not vote for Farr, joining Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona and 49 Democratic lawmakers in opposing the nominee.

Flake has stated that he will oppose all judicial nominations unless the Senate passes legislation to protect the Mueller investigation from Trump.

Good for Flake (and America).

Well, if you can't find the good in either party, and only look to seek out things that you don't like, simply because you want to see yourself as superior to the rest of us for maintaining some sort of "independent" status, then you are in for a lot of disappointment for that remaining 20 to 25 years....Life's too short brother.

You are welcome to point out the "good" in either Party, but Congress' historic lows in approval ratings over the many recent years leaves little to cling to. Clinging to something that you can define as "good" is just an exercise in denial. Why complain about the rusted out, moldy, and broken car when the loud and obnoxious horn works, right?

- We have the new, undefined GOP exponentially leading the charge into political extremism. After two years of holding on monopoly in House, Senate, and Executive, there was no reform in immigration, no repeal of Obamacare or even an idea of replacement, an increase in swamp rats, more companies going overseas, permanent tax-cuts for the wealthy, and even more borrowing due to a contradictory increase in spending.

- We have the stale, undefined DNC exponentially without leadership and direction. There appears no plan based around any liberal theme, not a single suitable argument to defend any political position, and no individual to be excited about to replace a man like Donald Trump in 2020.

It's not about being superior. It's about being above the partisan nonsense that has so many people surgically attaching their lips to the Party's ass in such a way that it has them actually defending this trash as acceptable. Ever notice how we sports fans will defend our teams, but call out its weaknesses and demand improvement; but when it comes to our political teams we ignore weakness and merely attack the other in the hopes that their weakness makes our weakness better? You think that helps the team?

Like I have stated before, excellence demands healthy competition. Its why our religions are relatively healthier and why our sports teams constantly seek improvement. We have no healthy competition in our politics because we have lowered our standards to such a degree that the game is now only about relying on the other to be sicker.

If Trump really wants that judge, all he has to do is hold off on his nomination until January when the new senate convenes. If trump has already nominated him, McConnell just doesn't bring his nomination up for a vote until the new senate convenes. Flake will be gone, replaced by a Democrat. But Trump will have new Republican senators from Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Florida. Then don't forget Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia who voted AYE on Kavanaugh.

Obviously folks from GA support racists in any state.

Obviously folks from GA support racists in any state.

Just pointing out reality of the situation. No personal opinion was given. Either one lives in reality or one lives in a dream world, fantasy. If Trump wants this guy, the key phrase here is, "If Trump wants this guy," all he has to do is wait. Reality, real world, Flake will be gone, but Democrat Sinema who replaced him won't add another nay vote. Heller, Nevada was replaced by Rosen, she will add another nay vote. Now Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri and Florida all added Republican senators and all four has the potential to vote AYE to replace Nevada, Rosen's additional Nay. Could be a three to one gain there. Reality, not fantasy. Then there is the question of how Joe Manchin, democrat, West Virginia will vote. He voted AYE on Kavanaugh.

What I think is irrelevant. What you think is irrelevant in the face of reality. Now reality, if Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid hadn't invoked and first used the nuclear option, setting the precedence for future use in all presidential nominations, it would still take 60 votes for cloture. The fact Trump and the GOP need only 51 for this guy to be confirmed isn't Trump's or the Republican's fault. Blame lies directly at the Democrat's feet. I warned you guys back then that first use and setting the precedence of using the nuclear option was a huge mistake. One that would come back to haunt Reid, Schumer and all democrats once the GOP regained control of the senate and elected a president. I was laughed at, plenty of scorn came my way from those who supported Reid and the Democrats in the senate. Democrats jumped up and down with glee when Reid used that nuclear option. I don't think they are doing so today or since Trump was elected. Call it Karma, call it what goes around comes around. Call it anything you like. If this guy is confirmed, he could easily be in the new session of the senate in January, it still comes back to the first use of the nuclear option. Without Reid nuclear option and first use, 60 votes my friend is what it would take.

Reality, real world, not some fantasy hyper partisan world you live in.

Last edited:
Just pointing out reality of the situation. No personal opinion was given. Either one lives in reality or one lives in a dream world, fantasy. If Trump wants this guy, the key phrase here is, "If Trump wants this guy," all he has to do is wait. Reality, real world, Flake will be gone, but Democrat Sinema who replaced him won't add another nay vote. Heller, Nevada was replaced by Rosen, she will add another nay vote. Now Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri and Florida all added Republican senators and all four has the potential to vote AYE to replace Nevada, Rosen's additional Nay. Could be a three to one gain there. Reality, not fantasy. Then there is the question of how Joe Manchin, democrat, West Virginia will vote. He voted AYE on Kavanaugh.

What I think is irrelevant. What you think is irrelevant in the face of reality. Now reality, if Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid hadn't invoked and first used the nuclear option, setting the precedence for future use in all presidential nominations, it would still take 60 votes for cloture. The fact Trump and the GOP need only 51 for this guy to be confirmed isn't Trump's or the Republican's fault. Blame lies directly at the Democrat's feet. I warned you guys back then that first use and setting the precedence of using the nuclear option was a huge mistake. One that would come back to haunt Reid, Schumer and all democrats once the GOP regained control of the senate and elected a president. I was laughed at, plenty of scorn came my way from those who supported Reid and the Democrats in the senate. Democrats jumped up and down with glee when Reid used that nuclear option. I don't think they are doing so today or since Trump was elected. Call it Karma, call it what goes around comes around. Call it anything you like. If this guy is confirmed, he could easily be in the new session of the senate in January, it still comes back to the first use of the nuclear option. Without Reid nuclear option and first use, 60 votes my friend is what it would take.

I am not a Democrat, I am a MORAL, ethical, educated republican.

I am not a Democrat, I am a MORAL, ethical, educated republican.

Same applies, either live in reality or not. Fact is, if Trumpkins wants this guy, probably all he has to do is wait until the next session begins on 3 Jan 2019.

IMO, the idea that McConnell would have felt somehow restrained from invoking the nuclear option once he had a GOP Senate and a President, if only the Democrats had respected the filibuster, is IMO absolutely absurd. I just do not agree at all. We'll never know of course but that idea is entirely inconsistent with the 8 years of McConnel with Obama.

He and his GOP had taken the position that Obama simply wasn't going to get another judicial nominee through, EVER. So the option was to keep hundreds of judicial seats open or change the rules, but either way the reaction was to really unprecedented, across the board obstruction by McConnell of anyone and everyone Obama put up, including many nominees with obviously bipartisan support. This was also after the GOP decided before Obama took office on using the filibuster to block an unprecedented number of bills.

What many Democrats were saying at the time was do it, now, because there is ZERO chance McConnell will respect the filibuster should the GOP win the WH. I happen to believe they were correct.

IMO, the idea that McConnell would have felt somehow restrained from invoking the nuclear option once he had a GOP Senate and a President, if only the Democrats had respected the filibuster, is IMO absolutely absurd. I just do not agree at all. We'll never know of course but that idea is entirely inconsistent with the 8 years of McConnel with Obama.

He and his GOP had taken the position that Obama simply wasn't going to get another judicial nominee through, EVER. So the option was to keep hundreds of judicial seats open or change the rules, but either way the reaction was to really unprecedented, across the board obstruction by McConnell of anyone and everyone Obama put up, including many nominees with obviously bipartisan support. This was also after the GOP decided before Obama took office on using the filibuster to block an unprecedented number of bills.

What many Democrats were saying at the time was do it, now, because there is ZERO chance McConnell will respect the filibuster should the GOP win the WH. I happen to believe they were correct.

I agree. McConnell is the kind, along with Reid that puts political party over country. Of course that is my opinion. But Reid was the first one to use it. That can't be disputed. Reid threw minority party rights out the window which I think is kind of funny. The party so hot on minority rights is the party to trash them when they had the chance.

Blame McConnell if you will, but that is like being the first to launch a nuclear strike because you say the other guy is going to do it whenever he gets the chance. Would McConnell have done so if Reid hadn't. Probably so, but we'll never know because Reid went first.

These things tend to escalate to the max. It won't be long when legislation joins nominees under the nuclear umbrella. The filibuster is dying and soon will be dead. Then the senate, originally designed to slow things down, to deliberate long and hard, to compromise, will become just another miniature House. A house, senate where knee jerk reactions can easily be passed without deliberation, without a care for the minority, where majority makes right. Rule by the majority, some could call that tyranny by the majority, mob rule. With judicial and other presidential nominations, that is what we have now.

I blame Reid, because Reid did it. Not McConnell. The filibuster in my opinion brings some moderation to the nomination process. If it took 60 votes for cloture, I doubt Kavanaugh would even have been nominated. If he was, he would have been quickly pulled. The good thing about the filibuster is one has to get a few votes from the minority. It isn't a one sided deal.

I agree. McConnell is the kind, along with Reid that puts political party over country. Of course that is my opinion. But Reid was the first one to use it. That can't be disputed. Reid threw minority party rights out the window which I think is kind of funny. The party so hot on minority rights is the party to trash them when they had the chance.

OK, but you at least have to acknowledge why that happened. It was in response to an unprecedented abuse by McConnell of the 'rights' afforded the minority to completely thwart the will of the majority, prevent the majority from functioning when it came to judicial picks.

The GOP blocked more nominees during a few years of Obama that had been blocked by the Senate for the previous 40 years. They also declared, as a matter of policy, that they'd prohibit Obama from filling three vacancies on the D.C. Circuit, which is an attempt for the minority to "pack" the D.C. Circuit.

Blame McConnell if you will, but that is like being the first to launch a nuclear strike because you say the other guy is going to do it whenever he gets the chance. Would McConnell have done so if Reid hadn't. Probably so, but we'll never know because Reid went first.

Not, it's like launching a nuclear attack after the other guy has been carpet bombing you for YEARS with conventional weapons.

These things tend to escalate to the max. It won't be long when legislation joins nominees under the nuclear umbrella. The filibuster is dying and soon will be dead. Then the senate, originally designed to slow things down, to deliberate long and hard, to compromise, will become just another miniature House. A house, senate where knee jerk reactions can easily be passed without deliberation, without a care for the minority, where majority makes right. Rule by the majority, some could call that tyranny by the majority, mob rule. With judicial and other presidential nominations, that is what we have now.

I blame Reid, because Reid did it. Not McConnell. The filibuster in my opinion brings some moderation to the nomination process. If it took 60 votes for cloture, I doubt Kavanaugh would even have been nominated. If he was, he would have been quickly pulled. The good thing about the filibuster is one has to get a few votes from the minority. It isn't a one sided deal.

We'll just have to disagree. When McConnell used a bullhorn to tell us that he's not going to operate in good faith, IMO, the Democrats would have been naive morons to believe McConnell would operate in good faith with respect to the filibuster when he took over.

McConnell and the GOP attempted to pack the D.C. Circuit. We've never seen anything like it.

OK, but you at least have to acknowledge why that happened. It was in response to an unprecedented abuse by McConnell of the 'rights' afforded the minority to completely thwart the will of the majority, prevent the majority from functioning when it came to judicial picks.

The GOP blocked more nominees during a few years of Obama that had been blocked by the Senate for the previous 40 years. They also declared, as a matter of policy, that they'd prohibit Obama from filling three vacancies on the D.C. Circuit, which is an attempt for the minority to "pack" the D.C. Circuit.

Not, it's like launching a nuclear attack after the other guy has been carpet bombing you for YEARS with conventional weapons.

We'll just have to disagree. When McConnell used a bullhorn to tell us that he's not going to operate in good faith, IMO, the Democrats would have been naive morons to believe McConnell would operate in good faith with respect to the filibuster when he took over.

McConnell and the GOP attempted to pack the D.C. Circuit. We've never seen anything like it.

I'll not defend McConnell, like I won't defend Reid or Schumer. All three are peas in a pod. I'll continue to blame Reid because he was the one who pushed the button. I'm sure McConnell would have if Reid hadn't, that Schumer would have if he had the chance. Such are our leaders in today's senate.

I like your carpet bombing scenario. But what Reid did was move from conventional to nuclear which has much deeper repercussions. We need a complete change in the leadership, both parties and a huge change in attitude. We need to get back to the game of give and take, of compromise, of taking little steps forward instead of grinding everything to a complete halt if one side or the other can't get 100% of what they want.

Flake has stated that he will oppose all judicial nominations unless the Senate passes legislation to protect the Mueller investigation from Trump.

Good for Flake (and America).

egoboy will be gone in a month-then Trump can ram the judges down the throats of Dems after that.

I'll not defend McConnell, like I won't defend Reid or Schumer. All three are peas in a pod. I'll continue to blame Reid because he was the one who pushed the button. I'm sure McConnell would have if Reid hadn't, that Schumer would have if he had the chance. Such are our leaders in today's senate.

I like your carpet bombing scenario. But what Reid did was move from conventional to nuclear which has much deeper repercussions. We need a complete change in the leadership, both parties and a huge change in attitude. We need to get back to the game of give and take, of compromise, of taking little steps forward instead of grinding everything to a complete halt if one side or the other can't get 100% of what they want.

OK, we can agree to disagree.

egoboy will be gone in a month-then Trump can ram the judges down the throats of Dems after that.

And Sen. Tim Scott who for some reason also opposed this guy. Maybe it was the nominee's work suppressing votes, which would make him a fine judge for the current GOP, especially in NC.

And Sen. Tim Scott who for some reason also opposed this guy. Maybe it was the nominee's work suppressing votes, which would make him a fine judge for the current GOP, especially in NC.

I don't know the specific facts. I don't put much stock in blaming lawyers who represent the interests of their clients. For example, if a guy runs for Judge or the Prosecutor and prior to his candidacy, he represented drug dealers, murderers or robbers-I don't consider that a strike against him. In fact, in some cases, I admire good attorneys who are willing to represent unpopular pariahs

I don't know the specific facts. I don't put much stock in blaming lawyers who represent the interests of their clients. For example, if a guy runs for Judge or the Prosecutor and prior to his candidacy, he represented drug dealers, murderers or robbers-I don't consider that a strike against him. In fact, in some cases, I admire good attorneys who are willing to represent unpopular pariahs

I'd say that's fine if you want to represent the GOP as it's attempting to suppress votes in NC, try to figure out the best way to disenfranchise as many as possible but stay in the legal lines, but then you give up the presumption that you'll hear voting rights cases with an objective mind in the future.

Or to put it another way, surely there are conservative lawyers in that region who didn't decide to lend their considerable profession talents to suppress votes, and who would make better judges whose integrity we don't have to question when voting rights cases come before him or her. Heck based on recent developments in NC, his history is a FEATURE for the NC GOP, a reason TO have him on the federal bench to sign off on the crap that got shot down last time as targeting minorities with "surgical precision" - not a bug.

Back
Top Bottom