• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP senator's opposition likely sinks Trump judicial nominee (an hour ago)

This is not indicative of any sort of tide turning. This isn’t even the first judge Trump nominated that Scott effectively torpedoed.

Some republicans are turning against trump. They are possibly doing it because they don't want to lose their cushy jobs in 2020. And they are being extra careful in how they word their rejection of trump - because they don't want to get death threats from trump's supporters.

This is what gerrymandering does and is a common practice. It hurt Democratic politicians in general, however it didn't hurt the African American districts in fact it solidified their hold ensuring that they would have representation. If it were done in a way that split the African American vote among several districts that garaunteed they would not have a representative, then I would be in 100% agreement that it was wrong and discriminatory.

Art Pope and his crew, as noted in post #22, went block by block, apt. complex by complex, precinct by precinct, voter roll by voter roll to re-draw districts to best represent a GOP majority. Thus the SCOTUS term "surgical precision" in drawing the districts.

The Republican tide is beginning to turn. Democrats said they are waiting for the first Republicans in Congress to turn on Trump before beginning impeachment steps.

This recently happened. Yep a few republicans are FINALLY showing their disgust at how trump has handled the Saudi Arabian situation.

And this is just for all the far right pro-lifers that worship trump and Saudi Arabia. 85,000 CHILDREN have died in Yemen courtesy of the Saudis. And guess who does business with the Saudis so they can KILL 85,000 CHILDREN? Yep the USA.

How will the republicans spin this to blame President Obama or Hillary?

85,000 CHILDREN DEAD and not a peep from the far right pro-lifers who squeal about abortion every 5 minutes!!!!

https://au.yahoo.com/finance/news/senate-rebukes-trump-poor-handling-091959388.html

This is what gerrymandering does and is a common practice. It hurt Democratic politicians in general, however it didn't hurt the African American districts in fact it solidified their hold ensuring that they would have representation. If it were done in a way that split the African American vote among several districts that garaunteed they would not have a representative, then I would be in 100% agreement that it was wrong and discriminatory.

Guess what. They were. Thirteen districts, 11 GOP and 2 Dem. And SCOTUS agreed.

The Republican tide is beginning to turn. Democrats said they are waiting for the first Republicans in Congress to turn on Trump before beginning impeachment steps.

It would be in the Republicans best interest to turn on Trump. Let Trump be run out of office in impeachment to set Pence up to run as an incumbent in 2020. Given the wholesale shift to the left in MI, WI and PA and the "purpling" of GA, TX and AZ in the 2018 election, the astute Republican operatives should realize that paths to Trump's narrowest of victories in 2016 have been overrun in debris. They are impassable.

Last edited:
Art Pope and his crew, as noted in post #22, went block by block, apt. complex by complex, precinct by precinct, voter roll by voter roll to re-draw districts to best represent a GOP majority. Thus the SCOTUS term "surgical precision" in drawing the districts.

That is how gerrymandering works, you redistrict to give your party the best chance to win. I don't personally like the practice but I have yet to hear of a better alternative. As I said previously, it could have been much worse, they could have done it in a way that would have negatively impacted the likelihood of an African American representative being elected, instead they grouped them altogether virtually ensuring that they would have representation. Does it hurt the Democratic party? Yes, but it actually helps the African American community by effectively giving them garaunteed representation. Personally, I detest how segregated we are as a society that causes situations like this but it is human nature to form these silly tribal bonds. We would be much better off if people would decide to not live in these homogeneous communities and start forming larger social circles outside of race.

Kavanaugh is a joke. He should've never made it out of committee.

partisan hackery at its worst. Kavanaugh has had a sterling record on the second most important court in the country

Kavanaugh is a joke. He should've never made it out of committee.

After Thomas ? Nothing more than a glorified law clerk appt. specifically because he's a right wing toady and corp. fascist.

Thomas is the ultimate hypocrite in taking advantage of every left wing benefit to then become a judge to rule against them.

Some republicans are turning against trump. They are possibly doing it because they don't want to lose their cushy jobs in 2020. And they are being extra careful in how they word their rejection of trump - because they don't want to get death threats from trump's supporters.

death threats tend to be the stuff lefties do. Kavanaugh's family was threatened

After Thomas ? Nothing more than a glorified law clerk appt. specifically because he's a right wing toady and corp. fascist.

Thomas is the ultimate hypocrite in taking advantage of every left wing benefit to then become a judge to rule against them.

you should complain to George Mitchell then-he told WH Counsel Keisler and Liberman that if GHWB didn't nominate a black for the "Black Seat" the Dems would "Bork" the nominee. Like it or not, CT had the best credentials of anyone who met the Mitchell test

what do you think of all those democrat politicians who get elected by pandering to class warfare and then become filthy rich?

https://www.apnews.com/013cd18175284824b8391768e4c4f20c

WASHINGTON (AP) — A second Republican senator, Tim Scott of South Carolina, has said he will vote against President Donald Trump’s nominee to serve as a district judge in North Carolina, likely dooming the prospects of Thomas Farr filling the nation’s longest court vacancy.
==========================================
Farr has obvious anti-black bias as shown by his past decisions in n Carolina. 'the NAACP have heavily criticized Farr for his work defending state laws found to have discriminated against African-Americans.' Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) announced Thursday that he would not vote for Farr, joining Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona and 49 Democratic lawmakers in opposing the nominee.

Appears Farr is being attacked for work he did as a private contract attorney. Who was hired by state politicians to do specific work addressing re-redistricting. Not aware of Farr being charged with doing anything illegal.

Makes for an awkward precedent. The beloved Hillary did some controversial work back when she was with the law firm in Arkansas. Recall the Left defending that activity with a vengeance.

partisan hackery at its worst. Kavanaugh has had a sterling record on the second most important court in the country

Kavanaugh is a liar and partisan hack himself.

you all are mad that

1) Trump nominated him

2) he is replacing a wild card who often sided with the abortion advocates and gay rights operatives while Kavanaugh is most likely less than friendly towards those two movements

on top of that:

3) you claim he lied about issues that have absolutely no relevance to his suitability as a judge-while ignoring his near perfect judicial record. On top of that, you all rushed to believe scummy liars like Swetnick and Avenatti, and mentally unstable and perhaps dishonest "witnesses" like Two Door Ford.

Appears Farr is being attacked for work he did as a private contract attorney. Who was hired by state politicians to do specific work addressing re-redistricting. Not aware of Farr being charged with doing anything illegal.

Makes for an awkward precedent. The beloved Hillary did some controversial work back when she was with the law firm in Arkansas. Recall the Left defending that activity with a vengeance.

she bragged about getting an obvious rapist off IIRC-mainly by destroying the distraught victim

you should complain to George Mitchell then-he told WH Counsel Keisler and Liberman that if GHWB didn't nominate a black for the "Black Seat" the Dems would "Bork" the nominee. Like it or not, CT had the best credentials of anyone who met the Mitchell test

what do you think of all those democrat politicians who get elected by pandering to class warfare and then become filthy rich?

So true, I nearly shot coffee out of my nose laughing the first time I heard Bernie Sanders talk about Trump's divisive rhetoric and demagoguery.

what did he lie about that you can prove? RBG was an advocate and counsel for Abortion inc. I don't recall any other nominee being that involved with such a partisan issue. It would be akin to Kavanaugh having been the general counsel for the Gun Owners of America. Partisanship clearly didn't bother you when Kagan-a major part of the Obama ACA push, was nominated either. She was closer to the Obama administration's inner circle of power than Kavanaugh was to the Bush administration

So true, I nearly shot coffee out of my nose laughing the first time I heard Bernie Sanders talk about Trump's divisive rhetoric and demagoguery.

rich dems get rich because of the government
clinton and Obama for example, and Al Gore's father
Republican fat cats tend to be rich despite the government

That is how gerrymandering works, you redistrict to give your party the best chance to win. I don't personally like the practice but I have yet to hear of a better alternative. As I said previously, it could have been much worse, they could have done it in a way that would have negatively impacted the likelihood of an African American representative being elected, instead they grouped them altogether virtually ensuring that they would have representation. Does it hurt the Democratic party? Yes, but it actually helps the African American community by effectively giving them garaunteed representation. Personally, I detest how segregated we are as a society that causes situations like this but it is human nature to form these silly tribal bonds. We would be much better off if people would decide to not live in these homogeneous communities and start forming larger social circles outside of race.

No, this is not the routine gerrymandering; and no this does not "help" the African American community.

2012: North Carolina's Republican-led congress immediately approved a redistricting plan that was widely understood as racially gerrymandering. It concentrated black voters into a small number of districts, thereby diluting their electoral weight and maximizing Republican seat gains. Republicans also began passing a series of electoral reforms that made it harder for voters to cast their ballots and slashed the number of polling places in several key counties. These changes enabled Republicans to capture nine of the state's thirteen congressional seats in 2012, despite Democrats casting more votes statewide.

2013: The U.S. Supreme Court once again declined to reinstate North Carolina's strict voter ID law, which was struck down in 2012 after a court ruled that it was intentionally designed to stop African-Americans from voting. In its ruling, the appeals court said the law was intentionally designed to discriminate against black people. North Carolina legislators had requested data on voting patterns by race and, with that data in hand, drafted a law that would "target African-Americans with almost surgical precision," the court said.

2016: When a Democrat won the governorship, despite obvious efforts to shamelessly rig the election, the controlling Republican Senate granted itself the authority to confirm gubernatorial cabinet appointments in order to pack the executive branch with Republicans, thus rendering the new governor powerless. This law, which actually passed, was later overturned by the courts.

2016: The Republican-led congress also passed to shrink the state court of appeals by three seats, thereby stealing three judicial appointments from the new Democrat governor.

So what do we see Republicans doing in North Carolina (and actually other places across the country)?

- We saw such a gross display of racial gerrymandering that the Supreme Court had to weigh in and call it out for what it was.

- We saw strict voter ID laws and a select slashing of polling places in order to deny representation, in which the Supreme Court also weighed in.

- We saw a newly elected Democrat governor standby as the Republican-led congress stole his Cabinet from him, which was later repealed by the courts.

- We saw court-packing in the state court of appeals in order to get away with the above mentioned Third World "****-hole" behavior.

Take a look at all the failed democracies in the twentieth-century and you will find this sort of garbage behind it. This is shameful and it is a direct assault on democracy. It is pathetic that this is what the GOP feels that it has to do in order to "win." The GOP even packed the Supreme Court at the highest level in the hopes that justice might take a back seat to partisanship. But like a few conservatives on this site have declared, "whatever it takes to beat 'the left.'"

None of this "helps" black Americans; and none of this supports American democracy. The tell here is that today's conservatives would rather argue the differences between a Democracy and a Republic in order to excuse this behavior as legitimate to our Constitution. This is the desperation. Instead of appreciating the changes in the demographics and the much wider American mood over the decades and actually representing American citizens of all stripes, the GOP has decided to represent their own Party's power and their traditional stale and stubborn base at the expense of the majority.

Last edited:

It does not help the African-American community when their vote is diluted. Redistricting will form those "larger social circles" you mentioned. When a purple state has 11 seats with GOP reps and 2 for Dems something ain't right. And the SCOTUS confirmed it.

They just need to find a reason to impeach, other than they can't get past his winning the election.

what did he lie about that you can prove? RBG was an advocate and counsel for Abortion inc. I don't recall any other nominee being that involved with such a partisan issue. It would be akin to Kavanaugh having been the general counsel for the Gun Owners of America. Partisanship clearly didn't bother you when Kagan-a major part of the Obama ACA push, was nominated either. She was closer to the Obama administration's inner circle of power than Kavanaugh was to the Bush administration

I think you forgot, it's okay for the left to do those things. Because they are a force for good, like exterminating unborn children. The ends justifies the means.

No, this is not the routine gerrymandering; and no this does not "help" the African American community.

You're wonderfully eloquent laid out argument here would be impressive if it weren't so steeped in pure BS....You see 'gerrymandering' as a threat because the party not in legislative power doesn't have a say in districting....Which, if you argument was only about that I might actually agree with you...But, we know better don't we...In fact if it were democrats that held power they would be doing it and telling us to pound sand.....I know this because all one has to do is look at California...

"California is virtually a case study in the politics of gerrymandering.

When they controlled all the levers in 1981 during Jerry Brown’s first governorship, Democrats gleefully grabbed every legislative and congressional district they could.

The late Congressman Phil Burton drew congressional maps so partisan and convoluted that he described them as “my contribution to modern art.”

After the 1970 and 1990 censuses, Republican Govs. Ronald Reagan and Pete Wilson refused to sign the Democrats’ gerrymanders and threw the issue to the state Supreme Court, which drew the maps itself.

Democrats once again controlled the Legislature and the governorship after the 2000 census. But Republicans cleverly threatened intervention by the U.S. Justice Department, forcing Democrats to accede to a bipartisan gerrymander that protected the status quo.

Those maps, however, were as outrageously distorted as any other gerrymander. That sparked a drive, financed by wealthy Stanford University scientist Charles Munger, Jr., and backed by Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was then governor, to remove redistricting from the Legislature and give it instead to an independent commission.

Voters agreed, passing Proposition 11 in 2008 to shift legislative redistricting to a commission, followed by Proposition 20 in 2010 to extend its authority to congressional seats.

Tellingly, Democratic leaders such as Barbara Boxer, then a U.S. senator, and Democratic congressional leader Nancy Pelosi opposed Proposition 11 in 2008. Other Democrats sponsored a rival measure, Proposition 27, in 2010 that would have repealed the independent commission altogether.

Proposition 27 failed, and the commission did its work after the 2010 census. Its maps may not be perfect, and Republicans didn’t like their effect, but they are paragons of fairness compared to past gerrymanders.

Democrats, having been burned by the Republican drive to take over legislatures and Congress, are now enamored of having independent commissions draw districts.

As the worm turns."

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article177281401.html

You're wonderfully eloquent laid out argument here would be impressive if it weren't so steeped in pure BS....You see 'gerrymandering' as a threat because the party not in legislative power doesn't have a say in districting....Which, if you argument was only about that I might actually agree with you...But, we know better don't we...

First of all, don't make the mistake of assuming that my disappointment and disdain over how conservatives have been behaving since 2008 is about being a Democrat. Their behaviors have been far worse than anything liberals exhibited under the Bush Administration; and this behavior exponentially worsened to the point where they found themselves more than comfortable with a man like Donald Trump. The fact that conservatives have pushed themselves so far to the right that most of the spectrum, to include other Republicans ("rinos"), is now simply "the left," should send off alarms.

In fact if it were democrats that held power they would be doing it and telling us to pound sand.....I know this because all one has to do is look at California...

Second, you are right about California's distant past, but it demonstrates the system working, where a political Party may not get away with it. This opinionated article reveals only part of the story, avoids the issue, and draws a bad conclusion for it:

1980: Thirty-eight years ago, Democrats did orchestrate a gerrymandering plan that was more than obvious. For this reason, Republicans successfully placed a veto referendum on the primary ballot and California voters overwhelmingly rejected it in 1982. However, the California Supreme Court justices were majority appointed by Democrat Jerry Brown and they ordered the rejected districts to be used because only it was "practicable." Democrats won 60% of the congressional seats. Democrats still lost the statewide elections and lost the governorship to a Republican (Pete Wilson). However, the outgoing Democrat used his remaining hours in office to sign the rejected redistricting plan into law.

1990: Twenty-eight years ago, the new Republican governor (Wilson) vetoed that redistricting plan based on the new 1990 census. It was obviously partisan as hell anyway and he rightfully argued that it violated the federal Voting Rights Act. Only one of Brown's chosen Supreme Court justices remained the rest had been removed in recall elections. Governor Wilson asked and the California Supreme Court agreed to appoint special masters to perform the redistricting.

2000: Eighteen years ago, after the 2000 year census, the legislature was obliged to set new district boundaries. The Republican and Democratic parties came to an agreement to gerrymander the boundaries. It was mutually decided that the status quo in terms of balance of power would be preserved. With this goal, districts were assigned to voters in such a way that they were dominated by one or the other party, with few districts that could be considered competitive. In only a few cases did this require extremely convoluted boundaries.

Together, as they square off, both Parties have been back and forth with the California population since 2000. Some of the problem is that the Californian population is politically widespread and cannot be neatly placed into representative districts. Hence, the crap show in 1982. But before 2000, it was about correcting what Democrats did in 1982, which did include gross gerrymandering and court packing.

But this distant past is not the widespread GOP national problem that we have today and it actually fits nicely into my narrative about how far out in right-field conservatives have traveled. The author concludes with "as the worm turns." But this is not the same thing at all and this is definitely a new playbook. In 1982, voters rejected what the Democratic Party pulled. Before 1990, voters rejected all but one of those political judges. This is not today's world. Today we are experiencing a GOP-driven extremist world where zero-sum is all that matters. Voters today are perfectly fine with the GOP racially gerrymandering, stacking courts, slashing polling places, racist voter ID laws, and stacking gubernatorial Democrat cabinets with their own agents. We have seen this in North Carolina, Wisconsin, Georgia, North Dakota, and Indiana.

The system is no longer working because voters don't want it to. "Whatever it takes," right? I guess we are back to my disappointment and disdain here.

Last edited:
First of all, don't make the mistake of assuming that my disappointment and disdain over how conservatives have been behaving since 2008 is about being a Democrat. Their behaviors have been far worse than anything liberals exhibited under the Bush Administration; and this behavior exponentially worsened to the point where they found themselves more than comfortable with a man like Donald Trump. The fact that conservatives have pushed themselves so far to the right that most of the spectrum, to include other Republicans ("rinos"), is now simply "the left," should send off alarms.

Second, you are right about California's distant past, but it demonstrates the system working, where a political Party may not get away with it. This opinionated article reveals only part of the story, avoids the issue, and draws a bad conclusion for it:

1980: Thirty-eight years ago, Democrats did orchestrate a gerrymandering plan that was more than obvious. For this reason, Republicans successfully placed a veto referendum on the primary ballot and California voters overwhelmingly rejected it in 1982. However, the California Supreme Court justices were majority appointed by Democrat Jerry Brown and they ordered the rejected districts to be used because only it was "practicable." Democrats won 60% of the congressional seats. Democrats still lost the statewide elections and lost the governorship to a Republican (Pete Wilson). However, the outgoing Democrat used his remaining hours in office to sign the rejected redistricting plan into law.

1990: Twenty-eight years ago, the new Republican governor (Wilson) vetoed that redistricting plan based on the new 1990 census. It was obviously partisan as hell anyway and he rightfully argued that it violated the federal Voting Rights Act. Only one of Brown's chosen Supreme Court justices remained the rest had been removed in recall elections. Governor Wilson asked and the California Supreme Court agreed to appoint special masters to perform the redistricting.

2000: Eighteen years ago, after the 2000 year census, the legislature was obliged to set new district boundaries. The Republican and Democratic parties came to an agreement to gerrymander the boundaries. It was mutually decided that the status quo in terms of balance of power would be preserved. With this goal, districts were assigned to voters in such a way that they were dominated by one or the other party, with few districts that could be considered competitive. In only a few cases did this require extremely convoluted boundaries.

Together, as they square off, both Parties have been back and forth with the California population since 2000. Some of the problem is that the Californian population is politically widespread and cannot be neatly placed into representative districts. Hence, the crap show in 1982. But before 2000, it was about correcting what Democrats did in 1982, which did include gross gerrymandering and court packing.

But this distant past is not the widespread GOP national problem that we have today and it actually fits nicely into my narrative about how far out in right-field conservatives have traveled. The author concludes with "as the worm turns." But this is not the same thing at all and this is definitely a new playbook. In 1982, voters rejected what the Democratic Party pulled. Before 1990, voters rejected all but one of those political judges. This is not today's world. Today we are experiencing a GOP-driven extremist world where zero-sum is all that matters. Voters today are perfectly fine with the GOP racially gerrymandering, stacking courts, slashing polling places, racist voter ID laws, and stacking gubernatorial Democrat cabinets with their own agents. We have seen this in North Carolina, Wisconsin, Georgia, North Dakota, and Indiana.

The system is no longer working because voters don't want it to. "Whatever it takes," right? I guess we are back to my disappointment and disdain here.

Well, if you can't find the good in either party, and only look to seek out things that you don't like, simply because you want to see yourself as superior to the rest of us for maintaining some sort of "independent" status, then you are in for a lot of disappointment for that remaining 20 to 25 years....Life's too short brother.

Look, this is a tired topic and I know I did take a potshot in the beginning that reopened old wounds. Rather than re litigate this over again with you, I'll supply you with a video. I agree with everything they say in the video. If you're curious as to my perspective it is contained within. As a former lawyer yourself, I would think you would be interested in pursuing some of the threads that Seder dangles, if you can set the holy grail of a conservative judiciary aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom