• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Senators Offer $600 Billion Stimulus Compromise to Biden

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
No where near what Biden is asking for
R's are very concerned the Senate Parliamentarian, may rule it is not open for the Reconciliation, and the Dems override that by a simple majority vote- In steps the VP for a majority vote
1 Senators for sure , Manchin will wield significant influence

Manchin, for sure as he knows cleaner sources of energy Bills/Funds are coming fast, and he will want his State protected.

Ten Republican senators have proposed an alternative plan for Covid-19 economic stimulus costing about $600 billion that they say would attract bipartisan support, and urged a meeting with President Joe Biden to discuss it.

“In the spirit of bipartisanship and unity, we have developed a Covid-19 relief framework that builds on prior Covid assistance laws, all of which passed with bipartisan support,” the senators wrote in the letter dated Sunday.

You won't see them. All you'll see is what the media wants you to see...and they'll only show stuff that is bad for the GOP.

As always, the media will report what politicians present. Instead of pretending that the media is just out to get the GOP, perhaps it is time to consider just how ****ed up the GOP is.

Without Trump you will be hard pressed to keep playing this "fake news" game that complains about how the world is just out to get you.

This is the chance for Dems demonstrate compromise and negotiate to 1.2 T.

I think Biden will hold very close to 1.9 B

You won't see them. All you'll see is what the media wants you to see...and they'll only show stuff that is bad for the GOP.
Good..

Do you like this?
The White House is specifically open to considering scaling down stimulus checks for families making more than $150,000 per year, the official said, but the administration is not considering cutting off months of unemployment insurance access or money going to schools.

The official told CNN that if the Republican counterproposal moved forward, lawmakers would have to return to negotiating again in two months, which could happen in an even harsher political landscape. The official said that while the Biden administration is open to their relief package being smaller than $1.9 trillion, they're not considering a $600 billion plan.

Why do they have to come down? Why does the GOP want less covid relief for citizens?

I think you know why: Republicans don't want to help anybody who needs an additional $2,000. If they did, that would have been the amount taxpayers get this year instead of only $600.

The real question is why don't they care about their own constituents, including those who voted for them?

Why do they have to come down? Why does the GOP want less covid relief for citizens?
Just saying that now is the time to walk the talk and compromise. It could lead to a functional gov. Some of the senators may even realize that rational debate based on reality may move us forward. But then again, I've never considered myself a Dem, even though I voted Hillary and Jo, thanks to Trump.

I think you know why: Republicans don't want to help anybody who needs an additional $2,000. If they did, that would have been the amount taxpayers get this year instead of only $600.

The real question is why don't they care about their own constituents, including those who voted for them?
Vote for me in 2024 and I'll send everyone free money. You can call me Bernie.

Vote for me in 2024 and I'll send everyone free money. You can call me Bernie.

I don't need to wait that long for $600. So I should not have to wait four years to get $2,000.

Joe Biden will make sure I get $1,400 to make up for what the rattlesnake's administration refused to pay if not a full $2,000 eventually. This time Colorado, Arizona, and both Georgia seats in the Senate are blue. That makes any attempt to fix the numbers easier for Democrats.

The GOP just has to do what they do and they’ll show the country that they are bad.

In 2017, the GOP was fine with giving trillions to the rich and corporations but now, when millions don’t have income and 18% of households with children don’t have enough to eat, now the GOP decides to be budget hawks.

As always, the media will report what politicians present. Instead of pretending that the media is just out to get the GOP, perhaps it is time to consider just how ****ed up the GOP is.

Without Trump you will be hard pressed to keep playing this "fake news" game that complains about how the world is just out to get you.
All you have to know is how little the left wing news channels reported on the NYC nursing home death scandel. Cuomo orders nursing homes to take in senior hospital patients with positive covid cases and he claims it's not his fault. The democrat news machine barely reported it, and didn't report it months ago.

I don't need to wait that long for $600. So I should not have to wait four years to get $2,000.

Joe Biden will make sure I get $1,400 to make up for what the rattlesnake's administration refused to pay if not a full $2,000 eventually. This time Colorado, Arizona, and both Georgia seats in the Senate are blue. That makes any attempt to fix the numbers easier for Democrats.
Instead of a 1-time payment of $2,000, let's make it a monthly payment of $1,000 every month for the rest of your life. Fund it with a tax on non-retierment IRAs.

No where near what Biden is asking for
R's are very concerned the Senate Parliamentarian, may rule it is not open for the Reconciliation, and the Dems override that by a simple majority vote- In steps the VP for a majority vote
1 Senators for sure , Manchin will wield significant influence

Manchin, for sure as he knows cleaner sources of energy Bills/Funds are coming fast, and he will want his State protected.

Another article on the same subject

includes something that the Bloomberg report didn't, and that is

The letter also notes that "billions of dollars" aimed at small businesses from previous coronavirus relief packages remains unspent.

"Some of the spending appropriated through the CARES Act, passed last March, also has yet to be exhausted," the letter states. "The proposal we have outlined is mindful of these past efforts, while also acknowledging the priorities that need additional support right now."​

That, to me, means that the administration that was in charge back in March 2020 never did have any intention of actually paying that money out and only included it for the PR effect.

More correctly this is a chance for the Democrats to agree with the Republicans that "The American people don't actually need any support, but not giving out anything is incredibly bad optics, so let's give out as little as we can get away with while proclaiming our love and concern for 'the little man'.".

Alternatively this is a chance for the Republicans to finally acknowledge that a VERY large portion of the American people REALLY do need financial help and that portion is likely much higher than it would have been if aggressive, coordinated, enforced, and rational steps had been taken at the national level and backed by the national leadership of the United States of America to reduce the impact of COVID-19 starting in March or April of 2020.

Quite frankly I don't see either of those happening.

Just saying that now is the time to walk the talk and compromise. It could lead to a functional gov. Some of the senators may even realize that rational debate based on reality may move us forward. But then again, I've never considered myself a Dem, even though I voted Hillary and Jo, thanks to Trump.

A functional government responds to the needs of those it’s governing. The GOP is still running for election.

Back
Top Bottom