• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Senators are in a Real Jam

impeached/resigned you thinking?

decided not to run for a second term so he can spend more time with Barron

could not refrain from being a sarcastic SOB

decided not to run for a second term so he can spend more time with Barron

could not refrain from being a sarcastic SOB

If he's forced to resign, he won't even do the fake "family" routine.

He will say most likely, it's a conspiracy against me hatched by the Muslims and Al Sharpton.

<insert the last far right propaganda he consumed>

It won't be Trump. It will be his base that will destroy any GOP senator who would be foolish to speak against Trump. Do you not remember the Tea Party caucus? The Freedom caucus? The Liberty caucus? What do you think those folks are going to do?

The way I figure it, if you're a Senator who's been in there 6-12 years+... and probably a Governor for 8 years before that... and you don't have your own base to lean on, well, then you haven't been keeping your house in order. You probably should have spent a little more time doing a little party-building in your own backyard.

Grrrr.

I'm going to go all grammar nazi here on you. Apologies in advance, but I see this one a lot.

You do not "tow" a line. You "toe" a line.
All good. A slip on my part. I know the old phrase well, as I used it frequently throughout the 3 years I trained recruits during my military career.

If he's forced to resign, he won't even do the fake "family" routine.

He will say most likely, it's a conspiracy against me hatched by the Muslims and Al Sharpton.

<insert the last far right propaganda he consumed>

Melania probably is begging him not to resign, imagine if she had to spend more time with the asshole than she has to now?

You need a toe? I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon. With nail polish.

Hey, me and this friend were out lat the other night and we see this ambulance downtown and the lights are going and it goes speeding off, but as it does this cooler, like one of those lil buddy kind of coolers with a red medical cross on it falls out of the back, the guy inside shut the door, apparently not noticing the cooler had fallen out, cuz we wait a while, but then we just can't stand it, thinking, hey, we're broke, maybe ther's soemthing worth money in it? So we go check it out, but inside is just some ice and a severed human toe (a big toe). We had to think a long time about what to do, but in the end we figure out the perfect plan.....

We called a toe-truck!:lamo

Collins also has that oppositional war chest against her.

Haha. Serves her right for voting for that prick on the Supreme Court.

She folded out of cowardice. Three million dollars is a lot in most cases, but not so much in campaign spending. Plus her polling numbers are solid.

It just occurred to me that GOP senators up for re-election in 2020 are in big trouble. If they dare stand against Trump on anything, his base will primary them out of the senate. On the other hand, if they bow to Trump on everything, they will likely lose the general election. Guess this is what you call a lose-lose.

You'd be correct if this shutdown was a couple of months prior to the 2020 election. It's not. Americans have a long history of short memories. As soon as one hot issue replaces the previous hot issue, the previous hot issue is long forgotten. Ancient history. The only one's to remember are the highly partisan ones. The loyal Democrat who isn't about to vote for Trump or Republican senators.

If I were to handicap the 2020 senate, 34 seats up for grabs. Alabama should revert back to Republican, the Democrats should pick up Arizona, Colorado, perhaps Iowa ,North Carolina and Maine. Except Colorado, the other four are tossups, D Jones is almost a sure loser in Alabama.

Well, you had RECORD midterm turnout and a record margin of victory (10 million votes), and those were new voters. One thing about new voters, once their foot is in the door, they tend to show up every time. That's a big problem for the GOP.

What data do you have that demonstrates this?

Pretty much any Republican senator that took a Democratic seat in 2014 is open season in 2020, and they better start thinking about how far they're willing to go with Trump in this shutdown.

The longer the shutdown goes on, the more pressure there will be on many of them to fold, and if half a dozen or so join the Democrats, the WH will be forced to concede defeat in this game of shutdown chicken.

Pretty much any Republican senator that took a Democratic seat in 2014 is open season in 2020, and they better start thinking about how far they're willing to go with Trump on this shutdown.

The longer the shutdown goes on, the more pressure there will be on many of them to fold, and if half a dozen or so join the Democrats, the WH will be forced to concede defeat.

I disagree.. 6 weeks is an eternity in politics.. let alone what, 18 months? People will forget. Will it impact some votes, probably. But, not enough to be a deciding factor.

Gardner and Collins, both R’s from blue states, are already beginning to speak out against Trump’s idiotic wall. With the many investigations covering virtually every aspect of Trump’s life and the Dem run house, expect to see more senators of all political persuasions to begin speaking out.

How do they vote? They vote with Trump (unless they have permission of McConnell). Oh yeah, they will campaign that they were an 'independent voice' but their votes will betray them. They toe the party line when it is time to vote.

They first must win the primary.

You'd be correct if this shutdown was a couple of months prior to the 2020 election. It's not. Americans have a long history of short memories. As soon as one hot issue replaces the previous hot issue, the previous hot issue is long forgotten. Ancient history. The only one's to remember are the highly partisan ones. The loyal Democrat who isn't about to vote for Trump or Republican senators.

If I were to handicap the 2020 senate, 34 seats up for grabs. Alabama should revert back to Republican, the Democrats should pick up Arizona, Colorado, perhaps Iowa ,North Carolina and Maine. Except Colorado, the other four are tossups, D Jones is almost a sure loser in Alabama.
Any seat the Republicans gained in 2014 can easily flip back in an environment where Trump is unpopular.

The metrics haven't changed that much in four years.

You're assuming what will happen; you're not demonstrating what will happen.

Don't care about your demands for evidence. Just watch and see. The party that loves to scream you're a sexist if you don't like Hillary isn't going to work that angle?

54%/41% in favor of Trump. Those were figures with a female presidential candidate.

But 2020 is going to change because; reasons...

Hillary was a uniquely flawed candidate.

I disagree.. 6 weeks is an eternity in politics.. let alone what, 18 months? People will forget. Will it impact some votes, probably. But, not enough to be a deciding factor.

Especially with a president whose felonies are bumped out of the news by his gaffes and lies, and sometimes evidence of other felonies, within a single week!

Don't care about your demands for evidence. Just watch and see.

I don't care if you don't have any evidence; just don't treat your speculating as a quantitiative forecast and expecting everyone to treat it as such.

The party that loves to scream you're a sexist if you don't like Hillary isn't going to work that angle?

What?

Back
Top Bottom