• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Senators are in a Real Jam

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
It just occurred to me that GOP senators up for re-election in 2020 are in big trouble. If they dare stand against Trump on anything, his base will primary them out of the senate. On the other hand, if they bow to Trump on everything, they will likely lose the general election. Guess this is what you call a lose-lose.

It just occurred to me that GOP senators up for re-election in 2020 are in big trouble. If they dare stand against Trump on anything, his base will primary them out of the senate. On the other hand, if they bow to Trump on everything, they will likely lose the general election. Guess this is what you call a lose-lose.

You are assuming Trump will be on the ballot in 2020.

Majority of the Senators endorsed by Trump won their re-election bids... Trump has a record high approval rating in his own party...

What you are saying is illogical.

Depends on the senator’s home state. Deep red, tow the line. Purple, tread cautiously. Blue, open season on the orange menace.

The way I figure it, come 2020 Trump is going to have more than enough on his own plate without having to worry about "purging" rebels.

Majority of the Senators endorsed by Trump won their re-election bids... Trump has a record high approval rating in his own party...

What you are saying is illogical.

You're referring to the midterm results. I'm looking at the general election in 2020 with a presidential ticket. There will likely be a much higher voter turnout at that time. Higher turnouts historically are bad for Republicans. Nothing illogical about my observation.

Depends on the senator’s home state. Deep red, tow the line. Purple, tread cautiously. Blue, open season on the orange menace.

Even in a blue state, Trump's base can primary any GOP senator who dares speak against Trump.

Yeah... Muller... Any day now... Right?

Grand jury was just extended so I think Mueller will go for quite a while. Dems don't really want him out,they would prefer to run against him and use him as a reason for vote the entire democratic ticket.

You're referring to the midterm results. I'm looking at the general election in 2020 with a presidential ticket. There will likely be a much higher voter turnout at that time.

What else would I be referring to? There are tanigble results that refutes your claims. So far, there is no evidence to suggest that candidates who fail to recieve to Trump stampe of approval will lose.

Higher turnouts historically are bad for Republicans. Nothing illogical about my observation.

What data do you have that suggest this? It's not logical to state unsubstantiated claims.

Grand jury was just extended so I think Mueller will go for quite a while. Dems don't really want him out,they would prefer to run against him and use him as a reason for vote the entire democratic ticket.

So your implications that Trump won't be on the ballot was devoid of reason.

I don't give a **** if Trump is on the ballot or not. It's 2020, 100 year anniversary of a woman's right to vote. They're going to be out voting in high numbers.

The way I figure it, come 2020 Trump is going to have more than enough on his own plate without having to worry about "purging" rebels.

It won't be Trump. It will be his base that will destroy any GOP senator who would be foolish to speak against Trump. Do you not remember the Tea Party caucus? The Freedom caucus? The Liberty caucus? What do you think those folks are going to do?

I don't give a **** if Trump is on the ballot or not. It's 2020, 100 year anniversary of a woman's right to vote. They're going to be out voting in high numbers.

Right. We all vote based on what happened 100 years ago, not based on what is happening in the Present.

Right. We all vote based on what happened 100 years ago, not based on what is happening in the Present.

Well, you had RECORD midterm turnout and a record margin of victory (10 million votes), and those were new voters. One thing about new voters, once their foot is in the door, they tend to show up every time. That's a big problem for the GOP.

You misunderstood my post. I'm just saying that the turnout among women will be higher than normal.

Even in a blue state, Trump's base can primary any GOP senator who dares speak against Trump.
Gardner and Collins, both R’s from blue states, are already beginning to speak out against Trump’s idiotic wall. With the many investigations covering virtually every aspect of Trump’s life and the Dem run house, expect to see more senators of all political persuasions to begin speaking out.

Grrrr.

I'm going to go all grammar nazi here on you. Apologies in advance, but I see this one a lot.

You do not "tow" a line. You "toe" a line.

I'm looking forward to seeing more GOP Elites deciding to retire. The more, the merrier.

Regarding the general election...I'm assuming you are talking about the Presidential election...whether or not the GOP lose it depends entirely on two things: Who the Dems run...and the state of the economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d-women/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b2bb707b7539

Women made history in the 2018 midterm elections.

Democrats won women’s vote for Congress by 19 points, with 59 percent voting Democrat and 40 percent voting Republican — the largest margin seen in midterm exit polls, according to data from CNN.

Better luck next time :lamo

Grrrr.

I'm going to go all grammar nazi here on you. Apologies in advance, but I see this one a lot.

You do not "tow" a line. You "toe" a line.

forget about the ****ing toe!

Gardner and Collins, both R’s from blue states, are already beginning to speak out against Trump’s idiotic wall. With the many investigations covering virtually every aspect of Trump’s life and the Dem run house, expect to see more senators of all political persuasions to begin speaking out.

Collins also has that oppositional war chest against her.

Haha. Serves her right for voting for that prick on the Supreme Court.

Back
Top Bottom