• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Sen. Cruz, Rep. Rooney introduce constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress

Mr. Invisible

A Man Without A Country
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/term-limits-ted-cruz-proposal/index.html

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and Republican Rep. Francis Rooney proposed a Constitutional amendment on Thursday that would impose term limits on members of both houses of Congress.

The amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), and David Perdue (R-Ga.), would restrict senators to two six-year terms and House members to three two-year terms. A similar amendment was proposed by Cruz in January of 2017.

So, Ted Cruz and some others want to impose turn limits on Congress.

Definitely seems like a good idea to me as I know that some want to say that elections serve as term limits, however, when incumbents have a 90%+ re-electionrate, may be its time that we have some term limits.

Good stuff. Being a politician should never be a career.

Good stuff. Being a politician should never be a career.

Yes. Instead of politicians doing what helps to get them reelected, politicians will do what's good for the country.
Lobbyists must also face stronger rules in gov't.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/term-limits-ted-cruz-proposal/index.html

Definitely seems like a good idea to me as I know that some want to say that elections serve as term limits, however, when incumbents have a 90%+ re-electionrate, may be its time that we have some term limits.

Until and unless such proposed amendments ever include language banning former elected official from ever serving as lobbyists, nothing of importance will change.

Yes. Instead of politicians doing what helps to get them reelected, politicians will do what's good for the country.
Lobbyists must also face stronger rules in gov't.

Indeed. Term limits still don't address the "revolving door" in DC. A politician may have a limited term in office, but if they're mainly doing it to secure a lobbying job afterwards they're still not serving the interest of the public.

The response to term limits is usually dependent not on the concept of term limits but on who proposes them.

Now...if you want an argument FOR term limits, you should review a roster of the ****ing clowns from both parties that keep getting sent back year after year after year after year and literally dont do ****. Some of the people sitting n those chairs are down right embarrassing.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

We already have 'term limits' per se. 6 years for senators and 2 for representatives. And if the people from any given district want to send the same person back to represent them, Im not sure thats anyones business but the people from those districts.

Agreed about lobbying comments but still it seems like a step in the right direction. Oh look, I agreed with Trump and GOP on something!

We already have 'term limits' per se. 6 years for senators and 2 for representatives. And if the people from any given district want to send the same person back to represent them, Im not sure thats anyones business but the people from those districts.

So by the very same logic, you believe term limit of max 2 * 4 years on Presidency is wrong too?

mixed feelings.

Republican newbies tend to just act as vessels for right wing think tanks (e.g., ALEC). Experienced law makers have a better understanding for how things work.

Then again, Ted Cruz himself is as good an argument as any that politicians need to be pushed out of office every now and then.

So by the very same logic, you believe term limit of max 2 * 4 years on Presidency is wrong too?
Not really...no. There is a difference. I think there is too much of a risk potential to have the Presidency become a monarchy...ESPECIALLY with the inept congress that we have and the expansion of presidential powers.

If anything, I would advocate for a change in the terms. I think the House should be a 4 yearelection not a 2. As it stands, representatives are in perpetual reelection mode.

Seems like grandstanding to me, putting it forward as a constitutional amendment which has a 0% chance of passing. If they were more serious, they'd just push it as a normal law. Even then it basically doesn't have a chance but way more than an amendment does.

They don't seem to realize it hurts them too...

Wait...you think Cruz, who has been before the Supreme Court as a lawyer multiple times, doesn't know it applies to him as well?

Seems like grandstanding to me, putting it forward as a constitutional amendment which has a 0% chance of passing. If they were more serious, they'd just push it as a normal law. Even then it basically doesn't have a chance but way more than an amendment does.

Per the Supreme Court in 1995, all term limits for national office need to be imposed via constitutional amendment.

Indeed. Term limits still don't address the "revolving door" in DC. A politician may have a limited term in office, but if they're mainly doing it to secure a lobbying job afterwards they're still not serving the interest of the public.

That's very true.

Cantor, who lost his longtime career to a school teacher, moved his office two blocks down the street and his new gig is reported to include compensation of 2 + million a year.

It has to be a constitutional amendment

Seems both sides are introducing bills that won't see the light of day as their first attempts at governing in 2019.

Sad.

Per the Supreme Court in 1995, all term limits for national office need to be imposed via constitutional amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Term_Limits,_Inc._v._Thornton

"U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995),[1] was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that states cannot impose qualifications for prospective members of the U.S. Congress stricter than those specified in the Constitution. The decision invalidated the Congressional term limit provisions of 23 states. The parties to the case were U.S. Term Limits, a non-profit advocacy group, and Arkansas politician Ray Thornton, among others. "

This wouldn't be the states.

Bloviating, imo. Who cuts off their own gravy-train?

See post #19. It's a different case.

I didn’t say anything about a case. Simply point out the logic that it took an amendments to term limit the president and direct elect senators it’s pretty clear that it would take a constitutional amendment here also.

The

This won’t solve a thing. For after their ousters they will make even more money as lobbyists. Maybe after they are ejected they get their fingers smashed so they can’t set up their i-phones to voice command.

Back
Top Bottom