• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Privately Considers Dumping Trump

You are probably correct since I was thinking from a rational perspective and we know the Republicans seem to be far from rational right now.

Republicans are rational in their own way according to their own reality.... and I guess they cannot do anything else without disturbing that reality.

Its going to be a very interesting 2019 and I suspect we both will have our answer a year from now if its going to be Trump running in 2020 or not. In 1968 you could wait until the actual year of the election to announce you were running but those days are past now. Good campaign managers and writers and field people are already being interviewed today.

They have been trying to dump him since he announced. So far, they aren't successful, which is killing MSNBC.

Actually the issue is that Trump is killing the GOP. I for one could not be happier about that. Their behavior has been deteriorating for a decade.

That is your issue, not my problem. He is not "killing the GOP", except in your, and MSNBC's wet dreams.
Actually the issue is that Trump is killing the GOP. I for one could not be happier about that. Their behavior has been deteriorating for a decade.

That is your issue, not my problem. He is not "killing the GOP", except in your, and MSNBC's wet dreams.

LOL You are ignoring the last election I see. Your party is becoming more of a minority every year. That should worry you.

Though Republican candidates almost everywhere registered large margins among white voters without a college degree, Democrats ran much more competitively among the roughly half of that group who are not evangelical Christians, according to previously unpublished results from the 2018 exit poll conducted by Edison Research for the National Election Pool, a consortium of media organizations including CNN.
Democrats, the analysis found, ran particularly well this year among white working-class women who are not evangelicals, a group that also displayed substantial disenchantment in the exit poll with Trump's performance. Those women could be a key constituency for Democrats in 2020 in pivotal Rust Belt states such as Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, where relatively fewer blue-collar whites are also evangelical Christians.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/politics/the-foundation-of-trumps-coalition-is-cracking/index.html

Apparently, you missed the fact that everytime we have a mid-term election, the party in office loses seats. You also conveniently forgot that it was the Liberals that lost 60 seats in the last Obama mid-term. Not quite "becoming the minority". That sould worry you.
LOL You are ignoring the last election I see. Your party is becoming more of a minority every year. That should worry you.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/politics/the-foundation-of-trumps-coalition-is-cracking/index.html

The GOP will do no such thing.

It doesn't matter if he's committed crimes or not, his base doesn't believe it or they simply don't care and as long as that remains true, he's virtually untouchable barring a massive democratic majority in both houses next election should he win another term, which is highly unlikely.

Obviously the GOP have no faith in Pence. You'd think they would be happy to still have a republican president if trump were to 'retire'. But NOOOOO.

Gotta wonder what Pence has to do to convince the GOP that he would be a good president.

You honestly believe that Trump’s “presidency” is “having power being brought back towards the citizenry”?

The deep state on both sides, the corrupt media, the establishment wishing to retain power....all are being exposed daily.

Obviously the GOP have no faith in Pence. You'd think they would be happy to still have a republican president if trump were to 'retire'. But NOOOOO.

Gotta wonder what Pence has to do to convince the GOP that he would be a good president.

He certainly didn't help himself at the meeting today. He acted like Lurch from the Adams family.

The deep state on both sides, the corrupt media, the establishment wishing to retain power....all are being exposed daily.

Funny but Trump looked more like a toddler having a tantrum to me. The great negotiator needs to learn to take yes for an answer. The Dems are offering exactly what he asked for in his budget.

Ooooh, the Deep State again.

The cult needs its' boogie monsters.

Apparently, you missed the fact that everytime we have a mid-term election, the party in office loses seats. You also conveniently forgot that it was the Liberals that lost 60 seats in the last Obama mid-term. Not quite "becoming the minority". That sould worry you.

Please please please DO NOT change that attitude. Keep it and tell yourself Trump is the guy to stay with.

The MoonieTimes, the WSJ opinion pages, and a letter supposedly from a Trump admin insider saying, among other things,
This isn’t the work of the so-called deep state. It’s the work of the steady state.

Whatever gets you through the night. Hard work being in a cult, ain't it?

Hint : Trump's tweets don't generally match up with reality.

In public fight with Democrats, Trump says he would be 'proud' to shut down government over border wall

It might to you but historically this has not hurt politically. Standing his ground against corrupt establishment is a good idea for him.

Actually since only 22% even think border security is very important it will hurt Trump to shut the Govt. down for it. He is above all a speaker for the people and what they say goes.

ab-wzcswpe6bgojdorypqa.png

Last edited:
Actually since only 26% even think border security is very important it will hurt Trump to shut the Govt. down for it. He is above all a speaker for the people and what they say goes.

A misrepresentation since most Americans think border security is important, they just don't agree the Wall is the best way to do it.

They have been trying to dump him since he announced. So far, they aren't successful, which is killing MSNBC.

They need to dump their base

The GOP in Congress turning on Trump? I will not believe it until it happens. They have made a collective decision to stick with this guy to the bitter end as to oppose him means to rip the party in two - and they fear the establishment side of the Republican Party may end up in the minority with the deplorable outnumbering them. So they have to keep on going with Trump and have no real options that are also not laden with more explosives than a mine field.

They know they could get their collective asses kicked in 2020 - and they would rather face that and then rebuild without Trump after taking the electoral bloodbath then they would having to face a formal split in the party and alienating the deplorable they know make up so much of their reliable voting blocs.

That is the real nightmare scenario for the GOP. Parties have lost before in landslides and have to rebuild. Goldwater got his ass handed to him in 64 but Nixon came back to win just four years later. Same with the Dems and McGovern in 72 and Carter then won in 76. But the party held intact despite the loss.

The real disaster they fear is turning against Trump, Trump fighting back, and the party ruptures with the Trumpkins hating the establishment GOP party leaders for daring to oppose their little tin god.

So they will grit their teeth and keep riding with Trump to the bitter end - even if it means looking like damn fools as Hatch is looking today or risking a landslide against them in 2020 and many of them will have lost their own positions.

The GOP establishment has done a number on the base, and they created this problem. The GOP establishment is against minimum wage and for trickle down. The southern red states, are also the poorest. Aside from the wealthy GOP voters, their base hasn't really been getting ahead, but they have been blaming their hardships on illegals, immigrants, and minority groups getting stuff for free.

Typically, the establishment panders to that type of sentiment, but they really don't do anything about it. They just do politics as usual, tax cuts for the wealthy and the business community, trickle down for the rest, free trade, etc.

The base is fed up with the establishment. Trump is actually taking action against their enemies/the groups they feel are holding them down... illegals, minorities, and immigrants.

I really can't predict the future of the GOP, but the base turning on the party in favor of a Trump candidate is not surprising. I don't know how it will end for the GOP, but Trump's presidency will end in shame and will tarnish the GOP. His hardcore base, may very well cling to the conspiracy theories, and believe the deep state defeated a true man of the people. They will watch Alex Jones, and worse media.

The GOP is going to have to decide what to do with their base and the rhetoric.

So they will grit their teeth and keep riding with Trump to the bitter end - even if it means looking like damn fools as Hatch is looking today or risking a landslide against them in 2020 and many of them will have lost their own positions.

They know they're on the Titanic but they simply cannot bring themselves to give up those lovely staterooms.

Back
Top Bottom