• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP, past or present, could you vote for a D in 2020?

The "rusted on" Republicans (good phrase btw) will vote for the Republican candidate even if that party is running a Mephistopheles/ Beelzebub ticket. Same with the rusted on Democrats. I just hope one party or the other nominates at least a barely acceptable candidate (not Trump!). If not, I'll once again be voting third party, i.e., against both of them.
Not that it matters. When you live in California, your vote for president doesn't matter. The Democrat is going to win the state.

There are a lot of rusted on Democrats here.
Just out of curiosity do you feel like your disenfranchised because you dont live in a swing state or do you feel liberated to vote anyway you want because your not forced to vote for the lesser of two evils

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you consider him a centrist you are very far left

That’s funny, because I’ve voted R more than D over the last almost 40 years. Maybe you’re just very far right and don’t recognize it.

For president that is. Some, if not most of you, have likely voted for a Democrat for another office before. But what about president?

I have never voted for a Democrat with one exception: a local office (not even state level) because I went to HS with him and thought he was cool enough. That was years ago.

I left the party in 2012. But I will still vote for any candidate I can feel OK about. I haven't felt that since 2008 (and it was iffy then).

If you could vote for a Democrat in 2020, who might it be?

Thus far, of any names bandied about, I could vote for Amy Klobuchar. But I haven't really researched her, so that could change. I can't think of any other on the lists I've seen that I could vote for.

I want Trump gone, but I will abstain from voting for anyone if there is not a choice I think is good enough. I did so in 2016. Was going to vote for Gary Johnson, but I think being president of a marijuana company after 2012 damaged his brain.

So Republican, ex-R, or otherwise aligned, could you do it? And who?

I'm ANTI-COMMUNIST - No way in hell would I ever be dumb enough to vote for any democrat. UNLESS they toss their extremely stupid commie ideology in the rubbish heap where it belongs.

Funny how the liar left wants to lecture us about their phony Trump lies!!!

I've voted Republican a couple of times in my life, the last time in the 2000 election for George W. Bush. I regretted it so badly that I actively campaigned for John Kerry in 2004. I'll never vote Republican again, it's not even close to being the same party, Trump has destroyed it from the ground up. If the 2020 Democratic candidate has horns, a long pointed tail and sharp red teeth, I'll vote Democrat.

There's someone I would love to see run in 2020 and it's not one of the usual suspects, it's Amy Klobuchar.

I can vote for anyone whose beliefs, policies, and proposals align with my own on the topics of most importance to me. Which doesn't me exact concurrence across the board. I favor free( and fair) markets, individual freedoms, equality of OPPORTUNITY, strong restrictions on government expansion and interference, equal and equitable rights for everyone, strong defense and involved foreign policy; not all with the same priority. Probably a few more things too, but those are what come to mind right now.

Truth be told out of the current mob of potential Dem candidates I can't think of one I'd support. That may change

Just out of curiosity do you feel like your disenfranchised because you dont live in a swing state or do you feel liberated to vote anyway you want because your not forced to vote for the lesser of two evils

I'm disenfranchised when it comes to the general presidential election, as my vote means nothing. It's a given that the State of California will vote for the Democrat, whoever that may be.

And, I base my decision to cast a third party protest vote on that fact. I've been accused of "throwing my vote away" by voting for a candidate who can't win. Well, the Republican candidate can not win California, so it's a moot point.

That, come to think of it, is quite liberating.

For president that is. Some, if not most of you, have likely voted for a Democrat for another office before. But what about president?

I have never voted for a Democrat with one exception: a local office (not even state level) because I went to HS with him and thought he was cool enough. That was years ago.

I left the party in 2012. But I will still vote for any candidate I can feel OK about. I haven't felt that since 2008 (and it was iffy then).

Thus far, of any names bandied about, I could vote for Amy Klobuchar. But I haven't really researched her, so that could change. I can't think of any other on the lists I've seen that I could vote for.

I want Trump gone, but I will abstain from voting for anyone if there is not a choice I think is good enough. I did so in 2016. Was going to vote for Gary Johnson, but I think being president of a marijuana company after 2012 damaged his brain.

Excellent thread. And has remained pleasantly civil as far as i have read.

Lean conservative. But am a proud member of the "never Trump" caucus. Could easily have voted Democrat in 2016 had it not been for Hillary being their nominee. (But at the time i lived in Illinois so my vote was all but meaningless either way.)

Genuinely believe that this Donald Trump presidency has been somewhat of a wake-up call for a percentage of the American voters. The reality setting in is that the dignity of the Oval Office matters. Trump's official record during this term has been okay....no major calamities. But his petulant, egotistical, childish behavior has been unacceptable and cringe worthy to a lot of the country. Suspect many thought he would rise to occasion when he was elected but he has been a sad disappointment in that regard.

Personally don't think there is a chance in hell he will be re-elected. But i also didn't think he had a chance last time around.

I'm disenfranchised when it comes to the general presidential election, as my vote means nothing. It's a given that the State of California will vote for the Democrat, whoever that may be.

And, I base my decision to cast a third party protest vote on that fact. I've been accused of "throwing my vote away" by voting for a candidate who can't win. Well, the Republican candidate can not win California, so it's a moot point.

That, come to think of it, is quite liberating.

There have been third party candidates that have won some elections and they are generally independents and not affiliated with any particular party, i.e. the Green or Libertarian parties. I would like to see some of the Dems and GOPers today in congress drop their party affiliation and go independent. The reason being they have financial support out siide of the party and name recognition needed to go it alone.

There have been third party candidates that have won some elections and they are generally independents and not affiliated with any particular party, i.e. the Green or Libertarian parties. I would like to see some of the Dems and GOPers today in congress drop their party affiliation and go independent. The reason being they have financial support out siide of the party and name recognition needed to go it alone.

They might be taking a chance on losing an election. No one in Washington wants to risk that.

If Trump is the GOP nominee for 2020, I sure could vote for a Democrat for president. I have in the past, twice. In 2016 I would have voted for any Democrat other than Hillary Clinton over Trump. So too could have 8 million others who opted for a third party choice whether than vote for either Trump or Hillary.

It all depends on whom the democrats nominate. I won't vote for Trump, but that doesn't mean I vote Democratic either. I have no problem voting against both major party candidates if I don't like either one. My first presidential vote was in 1968 when you had to be 21 to vote. Beginning then I voted for 5 independents/third party candidates, 6 Republicans and 2 Democrats. It all boils down to whom the candidates are.

Oprah/Kennedy might be a hot ticket!

But then again, such a ticket would definitely be a screw into the GOP..........a big screw! A Black woman! Wow, that would certainly boil the blood of almost all Trumpians.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/06/joe-kennedy-2020-democrats-off-message-216942

Oprah/Kennedy might be a hot ticket!

But then again, such a ticket would definitely be a screw into the GOP..........a big screw! A Black woman! Wow, that would certainly boil the blood of almost all Trumpians.

I guess you've never heard of Condoleeza Rice. :roll:

Yeah, but Rice has no chance. Oprah together with Kennedy might be an unbeatable ticket.

I can't imagine why you think Dr. Rice would have no chance. But rest easy; she has always said that she has no interest in the job.

Depends.

Are there any Dem candidates that are for the working man and whom will do something to curb illegal immigration along with the exploitation of H1-b visas which suppress or outright take American jobs?

How about any Dem candidate campaigning on tax cuts for the middle class?

Depends.

Are there any Dem candidates that are for the working man and whom will do something to curb illegal immigration along with the exploitation of H1-b visas which suppress or outright take American jobs?

How about any Dem candidate campaigning on tax cuts for the middle class?

Not sure, but at least one potential contender seems to want lower and middle class people to have $6000 per year from Uncle Sam:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/kam...ush-to-repeal-and-replace-trump-tax-cuts.html

Seems several Ds had similar plans.

Not sure, but at least one potential contender seems to want lower and middle class people to have $6000 per year from Uncle Sam:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/kam...ush-to-repeal-and-replace-trump-tax-cuts.html

I like her tax cut plan more than Trump's but the fact she would open the floodgates for illegals which would crush the middle class means she's nothing more than a hack politician willing to sell out the workers of this country for future cheap votes.

She can go to hell.

The "rusted on" Republicans (good phrase btw) will vote for the Republican candidate even if that party is running a Mephistopheles/ Beelzebub ticket. Same with the rusted on Democrats. I just hope one party or the other nominates at least a barely acceptable candidate (not Trump!). If not, I'll once again be voting third party, i.e., against both of them.
Not that it matters. When you live in California, your vote for president doesn't matter. The Democrat is going to win the state.

There are a lot of rusted on Democrats here.

You can say the same thing for around 40 states today. They have been already decided. It will be who wins in the 10 or so swings states that will decide the next president. the rest of us are just on lookers.

If a constitutional conservative won the Democrat nomination, I'd vote for him/her in a heart beat, but I can't see that ever happening.

That's called "redistribution" and it's straightup communist.

My response was not an endorsement, but a response to the question asked.

It doesn't explain where the money is coming from. Corporate earnings? Not if they find loopholes to keep their money and pass the cost for these hand outs onto the consumer. Free money sounds great. The rich paying more sounds great. But is it feasible? What are the long term ramifications? If we could get corporations to strictly reinvest to create better paying jobs, we all would win. I am tempted to say that won't happen under these lofty proposals, esp when one comes up with one in order to win election, not to better our citizens' lives.

Back
Top Bottom