• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Must Dump Trump - Scarborough

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Joe Scarborough is a former Republican member of the US House of Representatives from the state of Florida. He is the host of a popular morning show on MSNBC called MORNING JOE. Over the last year, he has been one of the exceptions on national TV giving Donald Trump a friendly reception and saying many pfsitivethings about him and his movement.

Now Scarborough calls for the Republican Party to tell Trump "your'e fired".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/08/09/the-gop-must-dump-trump/

We are in uncharted waters but that does not mean that the way forward is not clear. It is.

The Secret Service should interview Donald Trump and ask him to explain his threatening comments.
Paul Ryan and every Republican leader should denounce in the strongest terms their GOP nominee suggesting conservatives could find the Supreme Court more favorable to their desires if his political rival was assassinated.
Paul Ryan and every Republican leader should revoke their endorsement of Donald Trump. At this point, what else could Trump do that would be worse than implying the positive impact of a political assassination?
The Republican Party needs to start examining quickly their options for removing the Republican nominee.
A bloody line has been crossed that cannot be ignored. At long last, Donald Trump has left the Republican Party few options but to act decisively and get this political train wreck off the tracks before something terrible happens.
In the last few hours I watched aghast as one Republican after another tried to excuse Trumps call for a Clinton assassination after she gets elected over the issue of guns. And now its clear why they are doing this. If they stand up and admit what Trump actually did yesterday - then they must be adults and take action. And they do not have the courage or the fortitude or just plain cojones to take that action.

The Republican Party is hanging over the cliff hanging on by its fingertips. The future of the GOP is in the balance here.

Hillary Clinton is a badly flawed weak candidate who should be easily beaten this year. Instead she is romping to a victory and will most likely lead her party taking control back of the Senate. And Donald Trump is to blame.

And Scarborough is right and should be listened to.

As generally irritating as I find Scarbro, he's right. However, any criticism of Trump from anyone who is considered part of "the establishment" only serves to galvanize his legion of idiots. These are people who are proud of being ignorant, who regard facts as anathema, who think anything is fine as long as it's not Hillary Clinton. We are on the precipice of disaster, and that disaster is not Hillary Clinton. It's Donald J. Trump, the closest thing to a fascist cult of personality I've ever seen.

Joe Scarborough is a former Republican member of the US House of Representatives from the state of Florida. He is the host of a popular morning show on MSNBC called MORNING JOE. Over the last year, he has been one of the exceptions on national TV giving Donald Trump a friendly reception and saying many pfsitivethings about him and his movement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/08/09/the-gop-must-dump-trump/

In the last few hours I watched aghast as one Republican after another tried to excuse Trumps call for a Clinton assassination after she gets elected over the issue of guns. And now its clear why they are doing this. If they stand up and admit what Trump actually did yesterday - then they must be adults and take action. And they do not have the courage or the fortitude or just plain cojones to take that action.

The Republican Party is hanging over the cliff hanging on by its fingertips. The future of the GOP is in the balance here.

Hillary Clinton is a badly flawed weak candidate who should be easily beaten this year. Instead she is romping to a victory and will most likely lead her party taking control back of the Senate. And Donald Trump is to blame.

Scarborough is absolutely correct. As a lifelong Republican, I tend to gravitate to the GOP candidate in any election. I have, however, voted for the Democratic candidate in a few instances when I know the Republican candidate is absolutely wrong for the job, for any number of reasons. There's no question the Republicans can count on a voter like me. And I know there is absolutely no way I would ever, ever vote for someone like Donald Trump, who is 1) not even a real Republican, 2) an extreme danger to this nation, and 3) giving all appearances of a man who is determined to destroy the party. How any real Republican voter fails to see what I see and what Scarborough sees and what many others see is beyond me.

Hillary Clinton is the second worst candidate of my lifetime. Donald Trump is the worst. Yes, Donald Trump is worse than Hillary Clinton. In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd say any candidate was worse than she is. That is just how bad Trump is.

My choices are a dishonest and too-entitled Democratic candidate, or a dishonest, divisive, crazed Democrat with an "R" next to his name. How in the hell did this happen?

The GOP need to get used to the idea of a President named Hillary, focus on keeping the House, Senate and Governerships, and disavow this man sooner rather than later.

It is my opinion that those Republicans who supported Trump in the primaries and caused his nomination deserves a President Clinton. They were more interested in making a statement to the Republican elected officials and others that winning in November was never thought of. They didn't care as long as they made their statement. I agree Hillary is a deeply flawed and baggage laden candidate that no one likes outside of her Democratic circles. The problem is the GOP managed the impossible and nominated someone who is even more disliked with foot in mouth disease.

With a decent candidate Clinton was easily beatable, with Trump, she is the next thing to a guaranteed winner this fall. There is as I understand it, no way for the Republican Party to remove Trump once he is the nominee. The only way would be if he stepped down on his own, voluntarily and he is not about to do that. It seems that Trump's goal is not to win the presidency, but to ensure Hillary Clinton becomes the next president. He has divided the Republican Party, he started and still has ongoing feuds with many within the GOP. He seems to be at war with the Republican Party. A party he has belonged to for only 3 or 4 years. If his goal was destruction of the Republican Party, he is succeeding beyond his wildest dreams.

I agree, Clinton will be the next president thanks to Trump and those who gave us him as the GOP nominee. The senate will go Democratic and as of now, it is estimated the Democrats pick up 20 house seats. They need 30 to gain control and if Trump keeps going, that increases the odds of the house going Democratic too. But do we really want one party government who can push their agenda which at the moment the Democratic base is 30% of the total electorate on the rest of us with no checks and balances on that power? That happened between 2009 and 2010 and the people rebelled kicking the Democrats out of control of the House. But with the Republican Party a shell of itself after Trump, will there be another party to turn too when one party becomes all powerful?

Man, that's the most hyperbolic, dishonest nonsense, I've ever seen squeezed into so few paragraphs. Congrats.

Man, that's the most hyperbolic, dishonest nonsense, I've ever seen squeezed into so few paragraphs. Congrats.

What is Joe Scarborough incorrect about in his essay?

Please explain the difference between hinted at and calling for, please. Are they synonymous terms? Per the article, "a bloody line has been crossed"? What bloody line has been crossed? Lets have some adult thought right here, why not?

Scarborough is absolutely correct. As a lifelong Republican, I tend to gravitate to the GOP candidate in any election. I have, however, voted for the Democratic candidate in a few instances when I know the Republican candidate is absolutely wrong for the job, for any number of reasons. There's no question the Republicans can count on a voter like me. And I know there is absolutely no way I would ever, ever vote for someone like Donald Trump, who is 1) not even a real Republican, 2) an extreme danger to this nation, and 3) giving all appearances of a man who is determined to destroy the party. How any real Republican voter fails to see what I see and what Scarborough sees and what many others see is beyond me.

Hillary Clinton is the second worst candidate of my lifetime. Donald Trump is the worst. Yes, Donald Trump is worse than Hillary Clinton. In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd say any candidate was worse than she is. That is just how bad Trump is.

My choices are a dishonest and too-entitled Democratic candidate, or a dishonest, divisive, crazed Democrat with an "R" next to his name. How in the hell did this happen?

The GOP need to get used to the idea of a President named Hillary, focus on keeping the House, Senate and Governerships, and disavow this man sooner rather than later.

You are correct. But the way I see, we have a choice between horrible candidate A who will do great harm to this country or horrible candidate B who will do just a little bit less harm to this country. In a bipolar world, election in this instance, either evil candidate A and evil candidate B is unacceptable to me. Which one is less unacceptable becomes irrelevant as I realize there are other options. Very few voters, the electorate realize this and think they are forced to choose between two terrible candidates with an R or D beside their name.

I opt for the third option, I am supporting and voting for Gary Johnson. I can't support horrible or evil even if the degree of horrible and evil are a bit different. You will still have evil and horrible in the Oval Office if you do. Our two major parties ought to be disbanded and thrown on the trash heap of history as they failed to do their job. Their job was to give us, the entire electorate a choice between two candidates who would have this country's well being in their heart, two candidates with different philosophies, but two candidates who would be good for this nation. Not two candidates that will push this country further down the road to its destruction.

I'm supporting Gary Johnson, personally I don't give a darn who wins between Trump and Clinton. Both are horrible. What is the difference when you are driving a car and you hit a concrete barriers going 150 miles per hour or hit it going 130. You're just as dead. That is the difference between Trump and Clinton. Your choice, not mine. I prefer to drive by the barrier at 40 and not hit anything.

It might show again that this candidate lets his words wander, where others would bite their tongues. But
I personally think that the so called call for an assassination is just so much muck being thrown by populist muck throwers and the candidate's mouth said intelligent things he had not yet realìzed the weight of. But it is obviously on everyone's mind judging by the hysteria it seema that the liberals know the problem is festering.

Having followed the discussions in a number of areas and seen in foreign countries and history books the question of violence being resorted to, when large parts of the population see their understanding of their legitimate rights infringed with no redress possible.

You are correct. But the way I see, we have a choice between horrible candidate A who will do great harm to this country or horrible candidate B who will do just a little bit less harm to this country. In a bipolar world, election in this instance, either evil candidate A and evil candidate B is unacceptable to me. Which one is less unacceptable becomes irrelevant as I realize there are other options. Very few voters, the electorate realize this and think they are forced to choose between two terrible candidates with an R or D beside their name.

I opt for the third option, I am supporting and voting for Gary Johnson. I can't support horrible or evil even if the degree of horrible and evil are a bit different. You will still have evil and horrible in the Oval Office if you do. Our two major parties ought to be disbanded and thrown on the trash heap of history as they failed to do their job. Their job was to give us, the entire electorate a choice between two candidates who would have this country's well being in their heart, two candidates with different philosophies, but two candidates who would be good for this nation. Not two candidates that will push this country further down the road to its destruction.

I'm supporting Gary Johnson, personally I don't give a darn who wins between Trump and Clinton. Both are horrible. What is the difference when you are driving a car and you hit a concrete barriers going 150 miles per hour or hit it going 130. You're just as dead. That is the difference between Trump and Clinton. Your choice, not mine. I prefer to drive by the barrier at 40 and not hit anything.

Good morning, Pero. :2wave:

The problem as I see it is the fact that whoever is elected - between the two major parties, if a third party doesn't get enough votes - is going to be the POTUS, which automatically guarantees that half the voters are not going to be happy, since we tend to be angry losers if our nominee is not chosen. What we don't need at this point is the same party controlling all three branches - at least gridlock prevents some things from happening, but with no checks and balances total control is inevitable! :thumbdown: Without it, it will be a replay of BHO's first years, which gave us Obamacare - and the majority is still unhappy about that - eight years later - mainly because of the lies that were told about cost and being able to keep your old plan, plus the hidden surprises that still keep popping up. Oy vey ist mir!

Well said Pero and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Like you, I am voting for Gary Johnson in November. While I don't agree with everything he stands for, I stand back and look at Clinton and Trump, who are two of the most wretched people in this country, and if I think too hard about it, it will make me cry knowing that people actually support them - with enthusiasm, no less. I like you have no interest in which one of them wins. Just like i had no interest in which of my father's diseases was going to kill him. I just knew he was going to die and there was no "better option" for his death. Just as there is no "better option" of those two. Equally horrific for different reasons. But candidates who will have a terrible long lasting impact on this country.

I wanted to support a Kasich, a Rubio, a Pataki, rally for them, hold signs, make calls.....I would even have supported a Christie, a Paul, a Perry or a Walker. I would have voted for them with pride over a terrible candidate like Clinton. But come November, looking at my ballot, I know that absolutely nothing can make me fill in the circle next to either of their names. One of them will end up as our President. I will be able to look at myself in the mirror the next morning and for the next at least 4 years after that knowing that I had absolutely no part in sending him or her to the White House.

Well said Pero and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Like you, I am voting for Gary Johnson in November. While I don't agree with everything he stands for, I stand back and look at Clinton and Trump, who are two of the most wretched people in this country, and if I think too hard about it, it will make me cry knowing that people actually support them - with enthusiasm, no less. I like you have no interest in which one of them wins. Just like i had no interest in which of my father's diseases was going to kill him. I just knew he was going to die and there was no "better option" for his death. Just as there is no "better option" of those two. Equally horrific for different reasons. But candidates who will have a terrible long lasting impact on this country.

I wanted to support a Kasich, a Rubio, a Pataki, rally for them, hold signs, make calls.....I would even have supported a Christie, a Paul, a Perry or a Walker. I would have voted for them with pride over a terrible candidate like Clinton. But come November, looking at my ballot, I know that absolutely nothing can make me fill in the circle next to either of their names. One of them will end up as our President. I will be able to look at myself in the mirror the next morning and for the next at least 4 years after that knowing that I had absolutely no part in sending him or her to the White House.

Greetings, tres borrachos. :2wave:

Well said, tres. :thumbs: The fact that we do have these two as choices shows me where we're at as a country at this point. People are angry at the status quo - look at how well Sanders did with the deck stacked against him, as an example - so no matter who wins, few are going to be happy. Neither is much trusted by their own party, let alone anyone else, which is mind-boggling, IMO! What must the world be thinking? :afraid:

I am talking about your post.

So you agree with Scarborough then and simply take exception to me bringing it up. You offered no constructive criticism of my post and failed to point out anything wrong with it.

You seem eager to attack the messenger rather than the actual content of the message itself.

Please explain the difference between hinted at and calling for, please. Are they synonymous terms? Per the article, "a bloody line has been crossed"? What bloody line has been crossed? Lets have some adult thought right here, why not?

I see no difference and the use of a phrase is simply stylistic.

As to the bloody line - on the show this morning Scarborough mentioned "crossing the rubicon" and they discussed it was Trump calling for the assassination of Clinton. That is the line.

It might show again that this candidate lets his words wander, where others would bite their tongues. But
I personally think that the so called call for an assassination is just so much muck being thrown by populist muck throwers and the candidate's mouth said intelligent things he had not yet realìzed the weight of. But it is obviously on everyone's mind judging by the hysteria it seema that the liberals know the problem is festering.

Having followed the discussions in a number of areas and seen in foreign countries and history books the question of violence being resorted to, when large parts of the population see their understanding of their legitimate rights infringed with no redress possible.

There was some talking head apologizing for Trump yesterday on CNN interviewed by Blitzer. The guy basically said Trump is an inarticulate person who speaks in half sentences and phrases and changes tense and order of sequence without the usual logical order necessary to properly make sense of what he is saying. He seemed to be saying that you cannot take anything Trump says at actual value using standard English and normal rules of interpreting based on context.

And he did that excusing what Trump said and claiming it was NOT any threat or call to kill Clinton.

It was the first time I have ever heard a candidate for President being excused because he had a combination of diarrhea of the mouth and just plain bad speaking skills. Truly amazing!!!!

Once that is out there - whats the point of listening to anything he says as its always going to be "thats not what I meant" as the all purpose ace up the sleeve literally trumping any criticism?

There was some talking head apologizing for Trump yesterday on CNN interviewed by Blitzer. The guy basically said Trump is an inarticulate person who speaks in half sentences and phrases and changes tense and order of sequence without the usual logical order necessary to properly make sense of what he is saying. He seemed to be saying that you cannot take anything Trump says at actual value using standard English and normal rules of interpreting based on context.

And he did that excusing what Trump said and claiming it was NOT any threat or call to kill Clinton.

It was the first time I have ever heard a candidate for President being excused because he had a combination of diarrhea of the mouth and just plain bad speaking skills. Truly amazing!!!!

Once that is out there - whats the point of listening to anything he says as its always going to be "thats not what I meant" as the all purpose ace up the sleeve literally trumping any criticism?

As you point out, it is a truly amazing world out there and Trump is just one of the players.

So you agree with Scarborough then and simply take exception to me bringing it up. You offered no constructive criticism of my post and failed to point out anything wrong with it.

You seem eager to attack the messenger rather than the actual content of the message itself.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll give you a small example. You refer to Hillary as "romping" to victory. Her miniscule leads could hardly be characterized as "romping", but you knew that. This is typical of your posting style.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll give you a small example. You refer to Hillary as "romping" to victory. Her miniscule leads could hardly be characterized as "romping", but you knew that. This is typical of your posting style.

Double digits nationally is romping when combined with big leads in crucial states like Pennsylvania and Michigan which Trump must win to give his rust belt strategy any chance at all of making an EC majority.

Yes - she is ROMPING to victory.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and more importantly their vote. The problem I have, Why would any Republican make these negative statements and try to throw the election to Hillary? I just simply do not understand it. As a leader for the Republican party, you are willing to take the trust given to you by the majority of that party and to turn your back on that party. The ramifications from a Republican perspective are significant. The losses in the Supreme Court to be the biggest. How can any true Republican do this. My only thought is that they are not truly defenders of Democracy and the Republican party. They want their moments in the limelight and nothing more. I believe American's will see through this. The beautiful thing that everyone keeps saying which continues to be true, Trump supporters are not falling for it. We all have one vote - and these guys may be cutting off their nose to spite their face. I only hope they have back up job plans because American's have a long memory when it comes to being betrayed.

Good morning, Pero. :2wave:

The problem as I see it is the fact that whoever is elected - between the two major parties, if a third party doesn't get enough votes - is going to be the POTUS, which automatically guarantees that half the voters are not going to be happy, since we tend to be angry losers if our nominee is not chosen. What we don't need at this point is the same party controlling all three branches - at least gridlock prevents some things from happening, but with no checks and balances total control is inevitable! :thumbdown: Without it, it will be a replay of BHO's first years, which gave us Obamacare - and the majority is still unhappy about that - eight years later - mainly because of the lies that were told about cost and being able to keep your old plan, plus the hidden surprises that still keep popping up. Oy vey ist mir!

Afternoon Pol, been painting the front porch. I agree, the worst thing that can happen and it is a possibility is Hillary becomes POTUS, probably 90% chance or better today. The Democrats gain control of the senate, 80% chance of that happening today and also gain the House of Representatives. The House going Democrat is around 30%, but rising as Trump falls further and further behind. The Democrats need a net gain of 30 seats, 20 seems in the bag. But those final 10 are there to be had, it is just the GOP is hanging on to them at this time.

I prefer checks and balances to gridlock. If something really needs to be done, it seems it does get done. It is all this political agenda stuff that is gridlocked and that is okay with me.

Amen, my sentiments exactly. Like you I could have supported almost any other Republican Candidate with exception of Trump against Clinton. Actually my first choice was Jim Webb, but he never campaigned for the Democratic nomination, just said he was running. I would have given O'Malley serious consideration if he opposed Trump and of course Sanders. This old Goldwater conservative willing to vote for Sanders over Trump says one heck of a lot about Trump. But I do think regardless of Sanders political philosophy, he at least has the good of the country in his heart. Not so with Trump or Clinton. I will never vote for a political candidate whom I think will be bad for this country or office he is running for regardless of political ideology or philosophy.

I see no difference and the use of a phrase is simply stylistic.

As to the bloody line - on the show this morning Scarborough mentioned "crossing the rubicon" and they discussed it was Trump calling for the assassination of Clinton. That is the line.
Its all in your heads, he said nothing at all specific, and specifically DID NOT CALL FOR the assassination of Hillary Clinton. That is poor interpretation, confirmation bias, of words that said nothing even close to anything so certain...

However, should Hillary move towards totalitarianism by somehow fooling the public into electing her... and then putting more lefties on the Supreme Court and then in this manner try putting more gun restrictions on an established from the beginning inalienable right... well, she might have then bitten off more than she can chew.

Americans will no longer stand for such a thing.

Its all in your heads, he said nothing at all specific, and specifically DID NOT CALL FOR the assassination of Hillary Clinton. That is poor interpretation, confirmation bias, of words that said nothing even close to anything so certain...

However, should Hillary move towards totalitarianism by somehow fooling the public into electing her... and then putting more lefties on the Supreme Court and then in this manner try putting more gun restrictions on an established from the beginning inalienable right... well, she might have then bitten off more than she can chew.

Americans will no longer stand for such a thing.

And what will they do?

Back
Top Bottom