• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP lawmakers want Arizona Legislature to redraw lines

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
does anyone think that this is not related to last years election?

Bested 5-4 in last year’s congressional races, Republican legislative leaders want a federal court to immediately give them the power to draw the lines for 2014.

In new court filings Friday, attorneys for lawmakers point out the U.S. Constitution gives the Legislature the authority to decide the “times, places and manner” of congressional elections. They contend that overrides the 2000 decision by voters to give that power, along with drawing legislative boundaries, to the five-member Independent Redistricting Commission.

With candidates now starting to explore congressional races — including current state House Speaker Andy Tobin — the lawyers want a three-judge panel to bar use of the lines the commission adopted for the 2012 race. That’s the one where Democrats took five of the state’s nine congressional seats.

More to the point, the legislators want the portion of that 2000 initiative dealing with congressional races overturned. And that would return Arizona to the way it was before, with lawmakers from the majority party deciding where to draw the lines.

if this is not a attempt at gerrymandering i don't know what is. considering how some state legislature screwed up their congressional maps, i think a independent redistricting commission is better way of drawing fair electoral maps

if this is not a attempt at gerrymandering i don't know what is. considering how some state legislature screwed up their congressional maps, i think a independent redistricting commission is better way of drawing fair electoral maps

I do not think elected officials and political groups should be involved in redrawing district lines. There should be a computer program that draws voting district lines solely on population alone.It shouldn't take race,ethnicity, gender, politcial affiliation or any of that other **** into account.

The idea that the "independent" commission is actually apolitical is laughable. When they redrew the district boundaries a few years back they were done in such a way that certain candidates no longer lived in the districts they were running for. Believe me, that was intentional. My particular district was redrawn to include a chunk of central Tucson that had never been part of the district but happened to be 80% Democrat. No Democrat districts were chopped up to add Republicans.

Over the years people who were fed up with the Democrat tyranny of the Tucson City Council moved out of town and those districts north and east of town became more heavily Republican so what the "independent" commission did was chop up those districts and add large chunks of heavily Democrat central Tucson to them. The result was that what used to be one Republican district and one Democrat district became one Democrat district and two districts that had just enough Democrats to make them purple instead of red.

The idea that the "independent" commission is actually apolitical is laughable.

This is why we need to hand it over to the machines.

Get data on voters and eliminate all strongholds via computer. Make every district competitive and force candidates to move to the center to compromise and get their voters most of what they want while moderating out the crazies from both sides. When a computer program creates districts based on roughly equal numbers of independents, Republicans and Democrats coupled with legislation mandating open primaries, we'll see much better governance.

Gerrymandering and polarization go hand in hand.

usually, gerrymandering is done in order to "correct" the other parties gerrymandering.... rinse and repeat.

crying about one while ignoring the other doesn't make much sense.

I do like the idea of a computer program drawing lines and taking out as much political bull**** as possible.... but meh, politicians aren't likely to go for that.. they need to be able to pander to identity politics, they need to be able to gerrymander... they need that sort of corruption to survive politically.

The Arizona redistricting "independent commission" were about as independent as those in California. :2rofll:
Redrawing Congressional districts so non-citizens and illegal aliens would be represented by those congressional Representatives who put the priorities of illegal aliens, immigrants and even Mexico before America and the American citizens who unfortunately ended up being in these gerrymander districts who are not being represented.

You don't need a slide rule to figure out how to redraw congressional districts by encompassing some barrio forty miles away into a congressional district to meet the population requirements for a congressional district to disenfranchise American citizens from representation.

While the GOP is at it, they can redraw their own egregious remaps in Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio and every Confederate state.

Back
Top Bottom