• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP handling of Kevin McCarthy’s treachery sinks to abysmal lows

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy spent the weekend phoning Republicans to do damage control, Punchbowl News reports, after we learned that he seriously considered calling on Donald Trump to resign the presidency after the mob assault on the Capitol. What offense has the California Republican atoned for in these calls? McCarthy apparently wants Republicans to know Trump has forgiven him for merely entertaining the passing thought that inciting a violent, deadly coup attempt might — might — be an offense that merits resignation.

As Punchbowl puts it, in these calls, McCarthy has been “making sure” Republicans know “he’s good with Trump.” This comes after Trump clarified that their relationship has not been damaged by the leaked audio showing McCarthy discussing Trump’s potential resignation, a possibility that had surely given McCarthy night sweats. ...Fittingly enough, it has fallen to Trump himself to demonstrate how bonkers this situation has become. Trump has forgiven McCarthy because he never acted on his heretical first impulse, thus showing that support for Trump ultimately triumphed over it. “I think it’s all a big compliment, frankly,” Trump told the Wall Street Journal, noting that Republicans such as McCarthy who criticized him just after Jan. 6 quickly realized the error of their ways: “They realized they were wrong and supported me.”

What has plainly pleased Trump is that Republicans such as McCarthy fully understood the gravity of what he had done but then proved willing to go to great lengths to propagandize away — and help cover up — his extraordinary corruption and even his potential crimes. This is a “big compliment” to Trump just as the loyalty of mob henchmen is a “big compliment” to an organized crime boss. It is not a stretch to suggest this might be how Trump himself conceives of this.

...much press discussion of this situation is drained of its implications for our democracy and instead analyzes it through the prism of the power politics McCarthy must navigate to satisfy his ambitions."

Link

Greg Sargent is a pretty smart guy and a very good writer. He raises two important points:

1. The focus of the story, by the MSM, no less, isn't that McCarthy has abandoned democratic principles, its that he's survived, for now, this political firestorm involving Trump.

2. I'm am always fascinated by how much Trump loves to see his sycophants degrade themselves for him, and McCarthy has certainty done that. He's still "My Kevin."

McCarthy is lying weasel only interested in holding the House gavel come next January, and will say/do anything it takes to achieve his objective.

Nobody should be the least surprised by his latest display of cravenness and dishonesty.

I was certain that McCarthy's career was in big trouble.

But then, with a WAVE FROM HIS MIGHTY HAND, Trump made everything right again!

1650932807567.png

(My apologies to fans of "The Ten Commandments," of which I am one :) )

McCarthy's political life is hanging by a thread...and he knows it.

As well he should. He is a clear and present danger to American Democracy and way of life.

This is an example of the left's hysteria.

1. The focus of the story, by the MSM, no less, isn't that McCarthy has abandoned democratic principles, its that he's survived, for now, this political firestorm involving Trump.

Of course he'll survive it: the MSM that the Repubs complain so much about has the attention span of a housefly and would rather have weekend panels where all guests do is troll each other (and their viewers) and call it "informed debate." We're conditioned to believe that any news is partisan. There's no such thing as news anymore unless it's a school shooting or a war and then we look for scapegoats. I'm sorry, but this doesn't end well.

2. I'm am always fascinated by how much Trump loves to see his sycophants degrade themselves for him, and McCarthy has certainty done that. He's still "My Kevin."

I could be wrong but I don't think McCarthy's Speaker hopes have much of a chance now. The Trump wing of the party has been convinced for some time that he's not Trumpy enough and now they've got their evidence. Moreover, they might be in a better spot with this January 6th investigation if McCarthy hadn't scored an own goal by boycotting the Committee. I'm sure high ranking Repubs have to be thinking "If that's the shit show he's running as a minority leader, it's only gonna be worse as Speaker."

Trump lives in their heads 24/7.
And their panic and mass hysteria has reached pandemic level. Someone call Moderna!! :ROFLMAO:

Indeed.

2bedbc38a13451d6139ecdeab2696f8b40fd5392.jpg

And you all seem to be enjoying it. :rolleyes:

McCarthy is lying weasel only interested in holding the House gavel come next January, and will say/do anything it takes to achieve his objective.

Nobody should be the least surprised by his latest display of cravenness and dishonesty.
So what does make his constituents??? Morons?? (the answer is 'yes', but let's see what others say......)

‘GOP Handling’ 😜
Careful how you say that,
and who you say it to.

McCarthy is a handler.
Wait to see how Kevin gets handled in 2023.
Which DEMs get thrown off their committees?

The Biden Kangaroo Courts led by Jordan and MTG.

My opinion is that if the house goes republican in 2022, trump will get his revenge by backing another member for speaker, Jordan perhaps. I think
trump is laying low until after the election, then will spring the surprise. It may not be Jordan, but it defiantly won't be McCarthy.

My opinion is that if the house goes republican in 2022, trump will get his revenge by backing another member for speaker, Jordan perhaps. I think
trump is laying low until after the election, then will spring the surprise. It may not be Jordan, but it defiantly won't be McCarthy.
An entirely possible scenario. 👍

Could be Stefanik.

It’s an example of informed, logical thinking.

Not recognizing the threat to democracy posed by Trump/Trumpism is ignoring reality.

They don't like to think too much about McCarthy's hypocrisy or Trump masochism too much.

Last edited:

Yeah, but guys LOVE groveling, sniveling like rat ****s like McCarthy. See Ted Cruz and basically every conservative. In short, you love people know the difference between right and wrong, but choose wrong.

CuGcVzPWEAIMZ02

Back
Top Bottom