• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP, Dem governors call for changes in House health bill

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

By Thomas Beaumont | AP June 16, 2017

A group of Republican and Democratic governors are echoing President Donald Trump’s criticism of a House GOP health care bill, saying it threatens coverage for the most vulnerable. Instead, they’re asking Senate leaders to work together on an overhaul of Democrat Barack Obama’s health care law. In a letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, seven governors, including three moderate Republicans, argue that “true and lasting reforms are best approached by finding common ground in a bipartisan fashion.” The governors implore the leaders to focus on stabilizing the individual insurance markets, give states flexibility and ensure affordable cover. The governors said they oppose the bill the House narrowly passed last month, citing its deep cuts to Medicaid, the federal-state health insurance program for low-income Americans.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has said the House measure would raise costs for many older and lower income people while causing 23 million people to lose insurance over a decade. The bill “calls into question coverage for the vulnerable and fails to provide the necessary resources to ensure that no one is left out, while shifting significant costs to the states,” the governors said. During a White House meeting this week, Trump privately told Senate Republicans that the House bill was “mean.” That was an extraordinary slap at legislation that Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., guided through the House and that Trump himself had championed and praised at a Rose Garden ceremony. The governors said in the letter: “Medicaid provisions included in this bill are particularly problematic. Instead, we recommend Congress address factors we can all agree need fixing.” “The House bill is just unacceptable to me,” Ohio GOP Gov. John Kasich said in an interview. “The problem is it’s going to take away insurance coverage from people, and that takes us backward. Said Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, a Democrat: “The president had a celebration when the bill passed. I don’t know where he stands on it. Where we stand is that the bill the House passed simply won’t work.”

Most people are finally realizing, perhaps now even Donald Trump, that the healthcare bill [AHCA] passed by the House GOP of Paul Ryan is a disaster of gigantic proportion. The problem for the Congressional GOP leadership is that they need to gut Medicaid in order to finance yuuge tax cuts for medical industries and the ultra-wealthy 1% of Americans. Governors of both parties are realizing how terrible the Ryan plan is for the states. Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell is putting together a Senate version of the AHCA in secret that is reported to be not much different than the House plan. Medicaid cuts will reportedly remain the same [$840 billion), but these drastic cuts will be back-ended to 2020 in order to minimize GOP vulnerability in the 2018 midterms. Thinking only of themselves, certainly not about you.

5-22-17health-f3.png

Ignore everything from the CBO. It never calculates or considers any the impact of reducing costs in one area, and the benefits that result in another.

The CBO acts like once you spend a dollar, the value disappears with it, and when you save a dollar, it can't be utilized in any other way.

17-62.

DCb8YexXcAAC8CV.jpg

No change will fix that. Just tear it up.

Most people are finally realizing, perhaps now even Donald Trump, that the healthcare bill [AHCA] passed by the House GOP of Paul Ryan is a disaster of gigantic proportion. The problem for the Congressional GOP leadership is that they need to gut Medicaid in order to finance yuuge tax cuts for medical industries and the ultra-wealthy 1% of Americans. Governors of both parties are realizing how terrible the Ryan plan is for the states. Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell is putting together a Senate version of the AHCA in secret that is reported to be not much different than the House plan. Medicaid cuts will reportedly remain the same [$840 billion), but these drastic cuts will be back-ended to 2020 in order to minimize GOP vulnerability in the 2018 midterms. Thinking only of themselves, certainly not about you.

5-22-17health-f3.png
By gutting medicare do you mean removing the 14 million off of it that obamacare added to it?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

By gutting medicare do you mean removing the 14 million off of it that obamacare added to it?
Gutting ... as in taking $839 billion from those that can least afford it and redirecting this money as a targeted tax break to tanning salons and the ultra-wealthy 1% of Americans.

The AHCA is a GOP redistribution scam masquerading as healthcare. The elite few are receiving hundreds of billions intended to assist the poor and the elderly.

Trump is far too liberal on this issue. I don't want that trash to pass either.

He's so liberal with those tax cuts for the rich. Man how liberal is that? Soooo liberal. :lol:

Gutting ... as in taking $839 billion from those that can least afford it and redirecting this money as a targeted tax break to tanning salons and the ultra-wealthy 1% of Americans.

The AHCA is a GOP redistribution scam masquerading as healthcare. The elite few are receiving hundreds of billions intended to assist the poor and the elderly.
I dont mind medicare cuts in general. Imo its has the biggest bloat to be cut. As far as what is being cut i would need details before forming an opinion

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ignore everything from the CBO. It never calculates or considers any the impact of reducing costs in one area, and the benefits that result in another.

The CBO acts like once you spend a dollar, the value disappears with it, and when you save a dollar, it can't be utilized in any other way.

That's false.

And you might as well say, "Ignore any evidence that might inform decision making. Better to make decisions in the dark with no idea what the effect will be!"

Trump is far too liberal on this issue. I don't want that trash to pass either.

No he's not - like on all other issues, he's ignorant and uninterested. He'll do his job and sign whatever piece of paper the GOP slides in front of his pen, and claim it's fabulous, great, etc.

You do have to love the way the Senate is doing its business on this. Total secrecy, no hearings, no opportunity till the end for anyone to even know what's in the bill, then a quick vote to jam it through before the public can figure out what the hell they've done or the effects. We all knew the whining about the extensive hearing and debate process that was the ACA process was a bunch of GOP BS, but anyone in doubt just has to look at this and know for sure. They're passing something that effects about 17% of the economy, and no one not a GOP Senator or aid or lobbyist has ANY idea what the **** they're doing.

No he's not - like on all other issues, he's ignorant and uninterested. He'll do his job and sign whatever piece of paper the GOP slides in front of his pen, and claim it's fabulous, great, etc.

Well, and "mean."

Cutting taxes and spending is exactly what congress should be doing. Government spending isn't sustainable at current levels and taxpayers pay too much in taxes.

When will you liberals realize that the tired policies of tax and spend are disastrous?

Cutting taxes and spending is exactly what congress should be doing. Government spending isn't sustainable at current levels and taxpayers pay too much in taxes.

When will you liberals realize that the tired policies of tax and spend are disastrous?
I'm not a Liberal. I believe the budget needs to be scaled back, but sensibly and gradually.

That isn't what's happening here. This is a quick GOP shift of hundreds of billions in federal dollars [Medicaid] from the poor and elderly to [via targeted tax breaks] the wealthy 1% of Americans.

As I stated before, the GOP AHCA is a redistribution of wealth masquerading as a healthcare plan.

Right, I remember the last time the GOP had the WH, House and Senate. Wonderful years! Ended in the Great Recession, collapsed financial system, losing 700,000 jobs per month, but it was GREAT while it lasted!!

Democrats should be running "while you were sleeping" ads. Baffles me they are not.

Back
Top Bottom