• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Congressman has good idea how to secure the border without wall

First, you would have to know where the cable is buried. Are they willing to dig up the whole place to find it. And if it is cut, we would know and go repair. Cheaper than replacing a secition of fence everytime someone cuts through the metal slats.

It's not difficult to locate buried cable. You don't have to "dig up the whole place" to find it. Blue stake people do it all the time. That's not the point though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wil...idea-fiber-optic-cable-instead-of-wall-2019-1
This is a great idea, killing two birds with one stone by securing our border with a fiber optic cable and sensors for most of the border. It would also make it possible to have this system used for high speed internet in rural areas where it is now impossible because of expense. It would sense not only digging, but all of those trucks and cars Trump is talking about that havae women tied up in the back seats with tape across their mouths. That last was a joke. Need a little humor now and then.

So, essentially motion detectors on the border supplemented with drones or some other "eyes on" tech. That strikes me as a far more thoughtful approach to managing the border and incidences of illegal incursions. I bet it would notice too the caravans and cavalcades of illegals crawling and clamoring through the desert to arrive the Desert Bar in the "middle of nowhere" USA.

635929444053799167-desert-bar-31-.JPG

(Original Desert Bar restaurant in Arizona)​

So, essentially motion detectors on the border supplemented with drones or some other "eyes on" tech. That strikes me as a far more thoughtful approach to managing the border and incidences of illegal incursions. I bet it would notice too the caravans and cavalcades of illegals crawling and clamoring through the desert to arrive the Desert Bar in the "middle of nowhere" USA.

The University of Arizona is already on it.

https://news.engineering.arizona.edu/news/smarter-control-border-patrol

Engineers at the University of Arizona are designing an autonomous border-surveillance system that can collect, assess and act on data in real time -- and deploy drones on its own.
As the United States expands surveillance technologies on, above and below its 1,900-mile-long border with Mexico, operating them effectively grows more challenging.

Systems and industrial engineers at the University of Arizona are building a framework for border surveillance that uses artificial intelligence, based on realistic computer simulations, to integrate data from different sources and respond in real time.

“Our goal is to devise a system to most effectively, efficiently and safely deploy border patrol resources,” said Young-Jun Son, professor and head of the UA Department of Systems and Industrial Engineering and principal investigator of the project.

With some unmanned aerial vehicles at the border starting at $18 million apiece, their performance has implications for taxpayers as well as national security.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wil...idea-fiber-optic-cable-instead-of-wall-2019-1
This is a great idea, killing two birds with one stone by securing our border with a fiber optic cable and sensors for most of the border. It would also make it possible to have this system used for high speed internet in rural areas where it is now impossible because of expense. It would sense not only digging, but all of those trucks and cars Trump is talking about that havae women tied up in the back seats with tape across their mouths. That last was a joke. Need a little humor now and then.

Another benefit of laying such a cable is that, depending on how deep they lay it, the workers may "stumble" upon some border-crossing tunnels. That could be both good and bad: good in that they find the tunnels, and bad in that the ground on which the diggers stand may cave in.

The cable would be buried.

It can only be buried so deep, or it wouldn't be effective.

I'm not sure if a fiber optic cable can be picked up with a metal detector, but if it can't, the coyotes could cross the border, test the BP's response time and figure out where it's buried.

Ideas like this prove that you people aren't interested in effective border security. You're trying to sell snake oil to the country.

W. Bush tried a "digital wall" before and it cost something ridiculous like $4 billion to cover like 10 miles.

It can only be buried so deep, or it wouldn't be effective.

I'm not sure if a fiber optic cable can be picked up with a metal detector, but if it can't, the coyotes could cross the border, test the BP's response time and figure out where it's buried.

Ideas like this prove that you people aren't interested in effective border security. You're trying to sell snake oil to the country.

Fibre optic cable is not metal, it is plastic and glass.

Technology has advanced a lot farther since Vietnam. Devices are smaller (meaning that they can be hidden a lot easier), can be used at longer ranges etc etc. And in order to cut the cable they're going to have to dig for it...in the mean time the sensors are going hog wild with the location. If a sensor does happen to go out those investigating can bring a spare to hook up.

And from the sounds of it the sensors could track whoever crosses the border for miles and miles (assuming it is laid out properly) and the trespassers could be intercepted with that practically real time information.

Tech that can be used to find, disable and defeat motion sensors has come a long way, too.

This statement from a wall supporter is just the best

This statement from a wall supporter is just the best

The op, by someone who opposes the wall is the best.

As Fenton pointed out, this has already been tried and it was a cluster****.

Any more bright ideas?

Tech that can be used to find, disable and defeat motion sensors has come a long way, too.

So far we have found a wall/fence can be gotten over, under and through and no one will know. So you think it is better to spend the 25 billion dollars on Trump's boondoggle? You must really love him.

Have there been any reports as to the exact location of the desired “barrier/wall/steel slats?”

That’s a good question and so far as I know it has not been planned.

Have there been any reports as to the exact location of the desired “barrier/wall/steel slats?”

I think that is the biggest failure of Trump regarding "his wall".

He branded it as his before deciding really what was needed. Initially it seemed to be a sea to shining sea endeavor that Mexicans would pay for. His rallies and memos were pretty damned clear that Mexicans would foot the bill. Then when he seemed to realize about natural barriers...that was included in his talking points. It was a wall....a barrier...a wall...slats...a wall....

Given his ego, who really knows what he is talking about.

I have said this in other threads. He is all about branding and narcissistic rallies. Democrats are less about branding and more about tangible sciencey stuff. Trump should have been giving facts and figures that are pertinent to national security. Show us that he is investing in the correct defense for the issues we have. But we have been getting facts and figures that frequently point to needs for other security measures.

I think if ACCURATELY AND HONESTLY interpreted facts pointed to more wall, I think they would be ok with it. I do not think they ever would be ok with a wall that covered every inch that did not include a natural barrier - and frankly that sounds like what he wants. Who knows, he changes his mind so often,

I think that is the biggest failure of Trump regarding "his wall".

He branded it as his before deciding really what was needed. Initially it seemed to be a sea to shining sea endeavor that Mexicans would pay for. His rallies and memos were pretty damned clear that Mexicans would foot the bill. Then when he seemed to realize about natural barriers...that was included in his talking points. It was a wall....a barrier...a wall...slats...a wall....

Given his ego, who really knows what he is talking about.

I have said this in other threads. He is all about branding and narcissistic rallies. Democrats are less about branding and more about tangible sciencey stuff. Trump should have been giving facts and figures that are pertinent to national security. Show us that he is investing in the correct defense for the issues we have. But we have been getting facts and figures that frequently point to needs for other security measures.

I think if ACCURATELY AND HONESTLY interpreted facts pointed to more wall, I think they would be ok with it. I do not think they ever would be ok with a wall that covered every inch that did not include a natural barrier - and frankly that sounds like what he wants. Who knows, he changes his mind so often,

One of my main objections to this Administration, is the vague statistics, generalizations, hyperbole and lack of specifics.

“.....many, many people, bigger than you can imagine, like you have never seen.............etc”

The op, by someone who opposes the wall is the best.

As Fenton pointed out, this has already been tried and it was a cluster****.

Any more bright ideas?

Fiber optics is not my idea.

And even if it’s a cluster****, that doesn’t make your dumb**** wall any better.

Fiber optics is not my idea.

And even if it’s a cluster****, that doesn’t make your dumb**** wall any better.

Actually, the wall, with motion detectors, drones and patrols is the perfect ringed defensive strategy.

Actually, the wall, with motion detectors, drones and patrols is the perfect ringed defensive strategy.

You dont want a moat also? Clearly you hate national security

He was also on C-SPAN the other day. Smart guy...doesn't matter that he's Republican, he's a good egg, at least on this issue anyway. He comes off as reasonable and rational, and pragmatic.

A fiber optic cable used as a sensor? How does that work?

Fiber AND sensors, not fiber AS "the sensor". He's saying that you need a fast pipe connected TO the sensor and that it has to be more secure and reliable than just a far off 4G LTE air connection. (or slower)
And the idea is, once you've laid that pipe, it also addresses the data desert issue in the surrounding areas as well.
No doubt telcom would want to piggyback on that fiber for "last mile backhaul" for residential/commercial data service.

Have you ever priced fiber optic cable ?

Yes, and I've installed it, too.
I earned an RCDD cert years ago and an Avaya installer cert as well.
Copper, fiber, you name it I did it.

What was your question?

Back
Top Bottom