• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

GOP Chairwoman wants full review of NSA wiretapping program

NYStateofMind

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Interesting to watch the twists and turns this story is making as time goes on. If the mods want to merge this with one of the other threads, please feel free....I know there are plenty of them.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184238,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/08/eavesdropping.congress.ap/index.html

There, a link for each side, in the spirit of bipartisanship. :mrgreen:

I hope it ends up in SCOTUS so we can get a meaningful review. I don't see any other way to settle the debate.

Interesting that the cnn article left out Sen Jay Rockefeller's letter critical of the administration's "failure to brief every member of the Intelligence Committee", while it was included in the supposdedly conservative Fox version. Otherwise, the articles were virtually identical, almost word-for-word.

oldreliable67 said:
Interesting that the cnn article left out Sen Jay Rockefeller's letter critical of the administration's "failure to brief every member of the Intelligence Committee", while it was included in the supposdedly conservative Fox version. Otherwise, the articles were virtually identical, almost word-for-word.

Yes, isn't that interesting? I didn't say which was which, did I? ;)

Hey look, a wiretapping thread. Why didn't someone think of this sooner? Merge it.

That's fine, merge it. Or even create a whole new catagory for NSA wiretapping. I doubt it is going away anytime soon, and there is bound to be more news coming out.

Frankly, I like the start of a new thread. I saw this article (or a similar one)on the NYT website this morning. I am glad that more and more republicans are speaking out about the program. People calling this a partisan issue are wholly mistaken.

aps said:
People calling this a partisan issue are wholly mistaken.

You are quite right: it is not, or at least, should not be a partisan issue. Unfortunately, there are those - on both sides of the aisle and especially in the blogosphere - who try to make it so.

With the attention being given to the matter, Rep Wilson could hardly have refrained from having hearings on the matter, given that she is the Chairwoman of the committee (House Subcommittee on Technical and Tactical Intelligence) that has direct oversight of the NSA. Now the both intelligence committees have scheduled hearings, it seems appropriate for her committee to do so as well.

Last edited:
NYStateofMind said:
That's fine, merge it. Or even create a whole new catagory for NSA wiretapping. I doubt it is going away anytime soon, and there is bound to be more news coming out.
I think the Scandal De Jour category fits the bill. And I agree, I hope wiretapping doesn't go away anytime soon.

oldreliable67 said:
You are quite right: it is not, or at least, should not be a partisan issue. Unfortunately, there are those - on both sides of the aisle and especially in the blogosphere - who try to make it so.

With the attention being given to the matter, Rep Wilson could hardly have refrained from having hearings on the matter, given that she is the Chairwoman of the committee (House Subcommittee on Technical and Tactical Intelligence) that has direct oversight of the NSA. Now the both intelligence committees have scheduled hearings, it seems appropriate for her committee to do so as well.

I like it when we agree (since it's such a rarity. ;)) :cool:

Back
Top Bottom