• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP candidate to Obama: 'Go to hell'

So much for respect for the office. It was only a matter of time.

First Read - GOP candidate to Obama: 'Go to hell'

ever wonder why we've become so nasty? our would be leaders encourage it. i'm sick of it, all the way around.

Setting aside all issues of party for a moment, I think it has less to do with changing tone and more to do with changing coverage.

Those who pay attention to political rhetoric say an unusual amount of profanity has emanated from this White House – even without counting famously colorful White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel. But before this statement becomes fodder for yet another partisan debate (with conservatives saying Obama is disgracing the presidency, and liberals that the media are once again being unfair), they quickly add that Team Obama is no crasser than administrations past. It’s just that they are being quoted more accurately.

What’s different, according to linguists, media analysts and reporters who’ve covered past administrations is the media: Networks and newspapers have become far more willing to run with quotes, video and audio of political figures and their aides saying things that never used to be repeated. They attribute the growth of the political potty mouth alternately to the proliferation of recording technologies; intense interest in all things Obama; the explosion of new media platforms that both circumvent and push traditional media while sharpening competition; a general coarsening of the public dialogue; or some combination of all of those factors.

“Cursing happened all the time, across the board, wherever you went in the White House or on the trail or in campaign offices – it simply wasn’t written about,” said Haynes Johnson, a former reporter for The Washington Post who covered the campaigns or presidencies of every president from Dwight Eisenhower to Bill Clinton, and has written books about the working White House, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon and, most recently, the 2008 presidential election.

Very interesting article, read the whole thing.

edit: the word filter blocks out a part of the address, so you have to type in the word that comes naturally.

Last edited:
Setting aside all issues of party for a moment, I think it has less to do with changing tone and more to do with changing coverage.

Very interesting article, read the whole thing.

thanks...i'll go with the combination of all factors. i don't, however, think that 20 years ago we would heard a campaign speech in which the speaker told the president to "go to hell", nor do i believe we would have had congressmen belting out "you lie" during a presidential address.

thanks...i'll go with the combination of all factors. i don't, however, think that 20 years ago we would heard a campaign speech in which the speaker told the president to "go to hell", nor do i believe we would have had congressmen belting out "you lie" during a presidential address.

150 years ago, we had a Congressman beat a Senator into a coma on the floor of the Senate. Politicians regularly libeled each other in the press using pseudonyms and duels were not uncommon. Politics has always been a filthy business.

RightNYC,

Your link doesn't work. Still, the segment you did post makes a valid argument. The national TV airwaves have been getting alittle more risque where politics are concerned, and with with the people on both sides of the political isle having the ability to record conversations in the palm of their hands it's no wonder we're hearing more and more "inappropriate language" in the media from politicians.

Still, I can handle the occasional censored vulgarity here and there. What I'm finding truly offensive is the rabid display of disrespect being shown towards the Office of the President of the United States. It's as if some people no longer hold the office with the highest regard anymore. It's like I said in another thread just yesterday, "dislike the man and his policies, but don't disrespect the Office".

150 years ago, we had a Congressman beat a Senator into a coma on the floor of the Senate. Politicians regularly libeled each other in the press using pseudonyms and duels were not uncommon. Politics has always been a filthy business.

i suppose it has.......

RightNYC,

Your link doesn't work. Still, the segment you did post makes a valid argument. The national TV airwaves have been getting alittle more risque where politics are concerned, and with with the people on both sides of the political isle having the ability to record conversations in the palm of their hands it's no wonder we're hearing more and more "inappropriate language" in the media from politicians.

Still, I can handle the occasional censored vulgarity here and there. What I'm finding truly offensive is the rabid display of disrespect being shown towards the Office of the President of the United States. It's as if some people no longer hold the office with the highest regard anymore. It's like I said in another thread just yesterday, "dislike the man and his policies, but don't disrespect the Office".

The word filter blocks out part of the address, you have to type the last word in.

And I'm open to the argument that people are showing an increased level of disrespect to the office of the president now, but I think that it's more reasonable to assume that it just wasn't reported to the same degree back then.

At a rally of supporters, this guy said that the papers would describe him as telling Obama to go to hell. Think back to the 70's, the 50's, or the 30's and imagine the types of things that politicians must have said during meetings with their supporters. I don't doubt for a second that Presidents, Senators and SC Justices alike were freely characterized as bastards, pricks, assholes, homos, communists, fascists, and [insert minority group or enemy nation]-lovers. I would be astonished if there were any president in history who wasn't disrespected by a political opponent during a speech. I think that the difference is just that back in the 30's, opposition researchers weren't following candidates around with video cameras.

considering the last 3-4 men who have held the office, respect is a bit hard to come by. A POS is a POS, whether he is POTUS or a greeter at walmart

Looks like the same respect and courtesy that the Libbos gave Bush for 8 years.

210 years ago, Vice-President Aaron Burr, shot and killed Secretary of The Treasury Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

210 years ago, Vice-President Aaron Burr, shot and killed Secretary of The Treasury Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
Damn, it would be cool if the USA still allowed duels. Palin could challenge Obama to a duel from 200 meters. :lol:

First Read - GOP candidate to Obama: 'Go to hell'

ever wonder why we've become so nasty? our would be leaders encourage it. i'm sick of it, all the way around.

Ah - but it was funny when someone threw shoes at Bush? It was ok when Dunn referenced Mao in her speech - citing him as one of her favorite political philosophers?

President Obama himself has been intentionally offensive to people (calling the Tea-Party Teabaggers and so forth) or intentionally disrespectful (During the campaign he refused to call President Bush 'President' - instead he always just called him 'Bush') - and this is nothing new in politics. Nothing new, nothing shocking.

What I'm sick of is people being ok with all of this behavior as long as it's from their camp against their opponent - but then they'll reel in disbelief and horror when it comes at them from the other side.

If you dish it - then you better be ready to take it.

President Obama certainly hasn't set a stellar example of how to behave well.

Last edited:
RightNYC,

I show the office of the president the same respect that the resident shows me. For the current resident and at the present time, not much.

I personally have tremendous respect for the Office and none what so ever for the "Liar in Chief who currently is in it doing his level best to push his agenda which so far from what I have seen is not in the best interests of any American in fact it is quite to the contrary.

I agree with the Governors opinion but as a former holder of elected office I know better and would never have said such and incendiary statement in public where it could be picked up on audio or video.

I think is was a mistake he should not have made.

Buying Votes for Health Care Bill With Amnesty for Illegal Aliens -- WASHINGTON, March 19 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

I'm not sure about the "you lie" bit. I guess in this case, it might depend on what the definition of "is" is. His health care plan might not have included illegal immigrants, but if his plan from the beginning was to give citizenship to illegal immigrants, then his statement sounds pretty much like a bald-faced lie to me.

RightNYC,

As compared to the honor and respect the democrats showed the "office of the presidency" from 2001 to 2009?

The disrespect is just a mirror of how we treat each other in our society today.

Damn, it would be cool if the USA still allowed duels. Palin could challenge Obama to a duel from 200 meters. :lol:

But Obama would be the one choosing the weapons and he would choose basketballs...

LePage won't get elected acting like that, unless the voters want rude and stupid for their politicians...

I just got a letter from Romney, asking for donations. In his letter, all he has to say is bad things about how democrats are running things, not a word about how the GOP will run it....guess we just have to trust republicans until after they win, right?

We need candidates that we can vote FOR, not candidates that we have to vote AGAINST...

That you lie thing was a mistake ;-)[video]http://vodpod.com/watch/2214005-saturday-night-live-you-lie[/video]

Back
Top Bottom