• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Ad Guru Fred Davis versus the Truth-O-Meter

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

The name is Fred Davis, and he's the man behind some of the most widely-viewed viral campaign videos on behalf of Republican candidates. Remember the McCain ad in the presidential election that mocked Barack Obama's celebrity, comparing him with Britney Spears and Paris Hilton? How about the creepy "Demon Sheep" ad from Republican Senate Candidate Carly Fiorina, attacking her then-opponent, Republican Tom Campbell? Or the bizarre image of Sen. Barbara Boxer's inflated head floating over California? All Davis creations.

Washington Post reporter Philip Rucker offered a rare glimpse into Davis' world, introducing him as "perhaps the most sought-after ad man in politics."

"A pioneering imagemaker in modern politics, Davis injects Hollywood glamour, and a dose of the bizarre, into the staid, paint-by-numbers formula of campaign advertisements," Rucker writes of Davis. "His ads are unforgettable. His candidates win races. So many politicians seek his services that he has to turn away business."

"But his attention-getting tactics veer toward the extreme -- in volume, in imagery, in divisive language -- and even his highest-profile candidates have to tell him when he's gone too far," Rucker states. "Of course, not every candidate is so restrained. When Davis issues another designed-to-go-viral commercial, his work can often be as admired for its creativity as decried for its corrosive effects on political discourse."

Summary:

Children born today will carry a $30,000 share of the national debt. - TRUE

McCain Opposed Boarder Fence - FALSE

Boxer only passed 3 bills into law - FALSE

Alabama's Tim James says government report backs up his claim that non-English speaking drivers are a public safety hazard - FALSE

Obama "says he'll raise taxes on electricity." - BARELY TRUE

Not sure truth has even been prominate in political ads. They are the worse part of the political season IMHO.

I'll never understand why people that are educated enough to read and write will actually watch tv political ads.

Summary:

Boxer only passed 3 bills into law - FALSE

Alabama's Tim James says government report backs up his claim that non-English speaking drivers are a public safety hazard - FALSE

ah, good ole politifact. telling liberals what they want to hear about the people they don't like :)

:lol: barely true :lol:

Summary:

"2006: McCain Voted AGAINST Providing $85 Million And 800 New Staff For Immigration Investigation. Sen. John McCain voted against Sen. Sessions' amendment that would "appropriate an additional $85,670,000 to enable the Secretary of Homeland Security to hire 800 additional full time active duty investigators to investigate immigration laws violations." The amendment failed 66-34. [S.Amdt. 4660 to H.R. 5441, Vote #201, 7/13/06]

2006: McCain Voted AGAINST Providing Additional Funds To Build A Border Fence On Southwest Border. Sen. McCain voted against an amendment that would "appropriate an additional $1,829,400,000 to construct double-layered fencing and vehicle barriers along the southwest border and to offset such increase by reducing all other discretionary amounts on a prorata basis." The amendment failed 71-29. [S.Amdt. 4659 to H.R. 5441, Vote#200, 7/13/06]"

2003 McCain: "We Can't Secure Our Borders. We Can Never Build An Impenetrable Wall To The North And South Of Us." During an appearance on Fox's Big Story, Sen. McCain said, "We can't secure our borders, Rita. We can never build an impenetrable wall to the north and south of us." [Fox News, Big Story, via Lexis 5/31/03]

2003: McCain Said Border Couldn't Be Fully Protected Because Good Jobs Would Continue To Drive Illegal Immigration. During a press conference, Sen. John McCain said: "We're not going to have a secure border as long as there's this kind of attraction of jobs into the United States of America. Our border between Arizona and Mexico is long, it's desolate and it cannot be fully protected 24 hours a day. The second issue is that, from a political reality, is there's a growing influence of Hispanic voters and Hispanic representation in the United States of America at all levels. And I believe that in a very positive fashion that influence can be meaningfully felt here in the legislative process because of the deep concern over both the humanitarian aspects of it, as well as labor protections, as well as citizenship is concerned." [McCain Press Conference via Lexis, 7/25/03]

:failpail:

This is a no brainer, if you can't read or write the language, you are a little more dangerous than those who do, while driving.

"President Obama’s energy tax plan — a version of the failed European “cap and trade” global warming fiasco — may cost families $1,800 yearly in higher utility bills, far exceeding his promised $800 a year tax cut for 95% of Americans.
While campaigning, Obama admitted that his energy plan would cause electric bills to “skyrocket.”

Barely true?

:lamo

It's so fun to watch the partisans spin. :lamo

ah, good ole politifact. telling liberals what they want to hear about the people they don't like :)

:lol: barely true :lol:

I know. It would be better if the lying could just be presented unchalleneged. ;)

Ahh the good old TruthoMeter of BS...

Politifact’s 2009 Truth-O-Meter Top 10 List « Citizens Against Pro-Obama Media Bias

December 31, 2009

Politifact put together their Truth-O-Meter’s top ten list compiled from total hits. I left their links in if you’re interested in reading more. Looking at the top 10 it’s clear on which side of the aisle Politifact sits. Included are 3 Republicans: Sarah Palin, Joe Wilson, Betsy McCaughey, 3 Glenn Beck, 2 anti-barry chain emails (Koran, healthcare), birthers, teapartiers.

#5 is the most read item of all time.

On the same page they posted this list, they put the headline links for each of the items EXCEPT #2 & #7. It’s pretty clear why: they represent Politifact’s own burning britches.
This is not to say that I don't understand Farley's desire to show his readers that in all likelihood ACORN won't get $8.5 billion from Uncle Sam this year. That's legitimate journalism. But instead of making that straightforward point, he chose instead to attack Congresswoman Bachmann, a favorite target of the left, and to try to depict her as a shameless liar.
That's reprehensible.
A more honest ruling by PolitiFact might have taken this form: "True, ACORN is eligible for $8.5 billion in federal funding but based on the evidence we don't think ACORN will get anything close to that amount from the federal government this year."
But that's not what Farley wrote.
Should anyone really be surprised that PolitiFact, part of the St. Petersburg Times, would have a liberal bias?
The American Spectator : PolitiFact's Fixers

I know. It would be better if the lying could just be presented unchalleneged. ;)

Q: how do you know when politifact will denounce something as untrue?

A: it is embarrassing for liberals

:)

Q: how do you know when politifact will denounce something as untrue?

A: it is embarrassing for liberals

:)

I'm really shocked at what extemes some will go to in order to accept their beliefs. the willing suspension of disbleif with some is something to behold. Too bad we can't get those whining about the media to seek truth more than affirmation.

So, tell yourself what you must, sad as that is.

I'm really shocked at what extemes some will go to in order to accept their beliefs. the willing suspension of disbleif with some is something to behold.

:lol: wow. project much?

:lol: wow. project much?

Nope. Sadly, I've just read enough of your threads to know. If it doesn't have a clear bias that affirms your world view. like too many, you don't accept it. The willing suspension of disbelief is strong in you. ;) :neener

yup. i instantly note two things. first, somehow this didn't rate the 'pants-on-fire' that i suppose Politifct reserves for onservatives and debates over whether 'saying something must be done makes you an advocate for it'. second, outing grayon on this is like me saying i don't favor the republican party because i don't support jack abramoff. all it does is keep them within the realm of political sanity.

yup. i instantly note two things. first, somehow this didn't rate the 'pants-on-fire' that i suppose Politifct reserves for onservatives and debates over whether 'saying something must be done makes you an advocate for it'. second, outing grayon on this is like me saying i don't favor the republican party because i don't support jack abramoff. all it does is keep them within the realm of political sanity.

:lamo :lamo :lamo

Poor, poor conservatives. Truth has aliberal bias and they don't know what to do.

:neener

"2006: McCain Voted AGAINST Providing $85 Million And 800 New Staff For Immigration Investigation. Sen. John McCain voted against Sen. Sessions' amendment that would "appropriate an additional $85,670,000 to enable the Secretary of Homeland Security to hire 800 additional full time active duty investigators to investigate immigration laws violations." The amendment failed 66-34. [S.Amdt. 4660 to H.R. 5441, Vote #201, 7/13/06]

2006: McCain Voted AGAINST Providing Additional Funds To Build A Border Fence On Southwest Border. Sen. McCain voted against an amendment that would "appropriate an additional $1,829,400,000 to construct double-layered fencing and vehicle barriers along the southwest border and to offset such increase by reducing all other discretionary amounts on a prorata basis." The amendment failed 71-29. [S.Amdt. 4659 to H.R. 5441, Vote#200, 7/13/06]"

LINK - HR 5441, vote #203...FINAL VOTE

Question: On Passage of the Bill
Bill:H R 5441
Vote description: H.R. 5441, As Amended; Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2007
Vote type: 1/2 (Help)
A simple majority of those present and voting is required for approval or passage.
Result: Passed, 100-0.
Date/time: July 13, 2006, 7:09 p.m.

This 100-0 final vote on the bill would include McCain. So, whining about him voting an earlier version of the amendment down without stating he supported the final version is disingenuous at best.

As for the #201 vote... here's a list of how that went...

LINK - HR 5441, vote #201

8 Democrats YES: Max Baucus, Evan Bayh, Tom Carper, Tim Johnson, Mary Landrieu, Patrick Leahy, Bill Nelson, Ben Nelson

36 Democrats NO: Daniel Akaka, Joe Biden, Jeff Bingaman, Barbara Boxer, Robert Byrd, Maria Cantwell, Hillary Clinton, Kent Conrad, Mark Dayton, Chris Dodd, Byron Dorgan, Dick Durbin, Russ Feingold, Dianne Feinstein, Tom Harkin, Daniel Inouye, Edward Kennedy, John Kerry, Herb Kohl, Frank Lautenberg, Carl Levin, Joseph Lieberman, Blanche Lincoln, Robert Menendez, Barbara Mikulski, Patty Murray, Barack Obama, Mark Pryor, Jack Reed, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller, Kenneth Salazar, Paul Sarbanes, Chuck Schumer, Debbie Stabenow, Ron Wyden

26 Republicans YES: Sam Brownback, Jim Bunning, Conrad Burns, Richard Burr, Saxby Chambliss, Tom Coburn, Larry Craig, Mike Crapo, Jim DeMint, Mike DeWine, Liddy Dole, John Ensign, Mike Enzi, Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, James Inhofe, Johnny Isakson, Trent Lott, Mitch McConnell, Pat Roberts, Jeff Sessions, Richard Shelby, Jim Talent, Craig Thomas, John Thune, David Vitter

29 Republicans NO: Lamar Alexander, Wayne Allard, George Allen, Bob Bennett, Kit Bond, Lincoln Chafee, Thad Cochran, Norm Coleman, Susan Collins, John Cornyn, Pete Domenici, Bill Frist, Lindsey Graham, Judd Gregg, Chuck Hagel, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Jon Kyl, Richard Lugar, Mel Martinez, John McCain, Lisa Murkowski, Rick Santorum, Gordon Smith, Olympia Snowe, Arlen Specter, Ted Stevens, John Sununu, George Voinovich, John Warner

Barack Obama also voted no on that version of the amendment. Of course, that's completely different, right?

As for Vote #200?
LINK - HR 5441, vote #200

2 Democrats YES: Tom Carper, Ben Nelson
42 Democrats NO: Daniel Akaka, Max Baucus, Evan Bayh, Joe Biden, Jeff Bingaman, Barbara Boxer, Robert Byrd, Maria Cantwell, Hillary Clinton, Kent Conrad, Mark Dayton, Chris Dodd, Byron Dorgan, Dick Durbin, Russ Feingold, Dianne Feinstein, Tom Harkin, Daniel Inouye, Tim Johnson, Edward Kennedy, John Kerry, Herb Kohl, Mary Landrieu, Frank Lautenberg, Patrick Leahy, Carl Levin, Joseph Lieberman, Blanche Lincoln, Robert Menendez, Barbara Mikulski, Patty Murray, Bill Nelson, Barack Obama, Mark Pryor, Jack Reed, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller, Kenneth Salazar, Paul Sarbanes, Chuck Schumer, Debbie Stabenow, Ron Wyden

27 Republicans YES: George Allen, Sam Brownback, Jim Bunning, Conrad Burns, Richard Burr, Saxby Chambliss, Tom Coburn, Larry Craig, Mike Crapo, Jim DeMint, Mike DeWine, Liddy Dole, John Ensign, Mike Enzi, Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, James Inhofe, Johnny Isakson, Trent Lott, Pat Roberts, Rick Santorum, Jeff Sessions, Richard Shelby, Jim Talent, Craig Thomas, John Thune, David Vitter
28 Republicans NO: Lamar Alexander, Wayne Allard, Bob Bennett, Kit Bond, Lincoln Chafee, Thad Cochran, Norm Coleman, Susan Collins, John Cornyn, Pete Domenici, Bill Frist, Lindsey Graham, Judd Gregg, Chuck Hagel, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Jon Kyl, Richard Lugar, Mel Martinez, John McCain, Mitch McConnell, Lisa Murkowski, Gordon Smith, Olympia Snowe, Arlen Specter, Ted Stevens, John Sununu, George Voinovich, John Warner

Barack Obama also voted no on that version of the amendment too. Of course, that's still completely different, right?

Last edited:

McCain voted against it before he voted for it. I don't think he actually cast a vote for a fence but talked like he was for it at the end of the presidential race in a desparate attempt to get votes.

Back
Top Bottom