• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

GOP 2008 Starting in 2005?

flip2 said:
I wouldn't discount the Christian movement, which now has strong ties with the party establishment. And the party establishment, a.k.a. elite, of both parties have a lot of say.

Although your analysis in the latter part of your post is persuasive and well-thought, I personally feel the "brass" of the party would bring any sway they have to prevent a McCain/_______ticket. I think they'd much rather have a ______/McCain nomination, as a balancer to the more conservative person at the top of the ticket.

I agree, the Christian factor is important, for both parties, but I don't think that McCain fares too badly in that department. He's a renowned war-hero who believes in Jesus, etc, and will obviously "become more religious" as the campaign winds up. He wont inspire faith among the religious crowd as Bush did, but few will do that anyways, and he won't lose much either.

I agree, I don't think a lot of people want McCain as Pres both because of the abovenamed reasons as well as his age, but I don't really see a strong candidate out there who would work well with McCain to fill in his gaps.

Perhaps Allen could be it, it's too early to say for sure. Odds on Allen HAVE been going up at tradesports recently...Decision 08 has Giuliani as the leader with a 10:1 shot, but I don't see that happening. There needs to be one traditional conservative on the ticket, and McCain beats Giuliani any way you look at it...No matter the fact that a McCain/Giuliani ticket would win the 08 election hands down.

I really favor Governors over Senators, but the only Gov. I know of is mine,Rick Perry of Texas and I'm not thrilled about him. Does anyone have any suggestions of good conservative Govs.?

alienken said:
I really favor Governors over Senators, but the only Gov. I know of is mine,Rick Perry of Texas and I'm not thrilled about him. Does anyone have any suggestions of good conservative Govs.?

Yeah, not too excited about Rick Perry, either. I think Strayhorn will put up a good fight, if Sen. Hutcheson doesn't throw in her hat to run for governor in '06.

To answer your question:

-Jeb Bush of Florida
-Mike Huckabee of Arkansas
-Bill Owens of Colorado
-Bob Taft of Ohio
-Haley Barbour of Mississippi (former RNC Chairman, by the way)

I would suggest going to nga.org, then clicking on the "Governors" hyperlink at the top.

I think its going to be the moderate McCain...if he does, the Democrats wouldn't be able to compete with him, for even democrat voters would be willing to vote for him...I think a McCain ticket can't lose...they should have nominated him 4 years ago instead of Bush I think...

Back
Top Bottom