• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google to pay gay employees more than straight employees?

Those who are receiving less pay from google because of their sexual orienation are harmed.

Which would be homosexual couples then in normal situations as they receive less pay after taxes then do married hetrosexual couples.

Google is equalizing the take home pay between its hetrosexual married couples and homosexual couples who are not allowed to get married, and as such do not receive the same tax deduction that married couples do

Which would be homosexual couples then in normal situations as they receive less pay after taxes then do married hetrosexual couples.

Google is equalizing the take home pay between its hetrosexual married couples and homosexual couples who are not allowed to get married, and as such do not receive the same tax deduction that married couples do

Look. I AGREE with google is doing, however, google is altering the pay of some employees because of their sexual orientation. It is irrelevant as to what the government does in relation to what google does.

Look. I AGREE with google is doing, however, google is altering the pay of some employees because of their sexual orientation. It is irrelevant as to what the government does in relation to what google does.

It depends on how you look at the pay does it not

After tax income will be the same for married hetrosexual couples and homosexual couples or at least that is what I understand. That Google has raised the pay of homosexual in relationships to make up for the lack of tax deductions for benifits if those benifits are extended to their partners

As the after tax income provided by Google will be the same, is anyone in that case being discriminated against?

Last edited:
It depends on how you look at the pay does it not

After tax income will be the same for married hetrosexual couples and homosexual couples or at least that is what I understand. That Google has raised the pay of homosexual in relationships to make up for the lack of tax deductions for benifits if those benifits are extended to their partners

That's kinda like people working at two jobs, and one job pays homosexuals more, because the other job pays homosexuals less. It's not google's job to compensate for what the government does or does not supply. I agree with this, and I no it's legal, but just as I disagree with the government treating gays differently because of idiotic and antique marriage laws, I see this as the same thing.

That's kinda like people working at two jobs, and one job pays homosexuals more, because the other job pays homosexuals less. It's not google's job to compensate for what the government does or does not supply. I agree with this, and I no it's legal, but just as I disagree with the government treating gays differently because of idiotic and antique marriage laws, I see this as the same thing.

Realistically they are not getting paid more, at least for the money the person would see (after tax). After tax income will be generally the same

Uh, CC, you're not talking about the pay that matters. Net.

By not engaging in this, Google is effectively discriminating against gays and paying them less for the same work. By equalizing the pay for uneven application of tax benefits, a gay person and straight married person doing the same work holding all else equal receive the same net pay.

Uh, CC, you're not talking about the pay that matters. Net.

By not engaging in this, Google is effectively discriminating against gays and paying them less for the same work. By equalizing the pay for uneven application of tax benefits, a gay person and straight married person doing the same work holding all else equal receive the same net pay.

Gross pay is what I'm talking about.

Which frankly doesn't matter. Getting paid a million in gross but taking home $50,000 is a huge difference. What actually matters? The $50,000 net.

Gross pay matters a whole lot more than net pay in this instance. Your salary is based on gross pay, not net pay.

Gross pay matters a whole lot more than net pay in this instance. Your salary is based on gross pay, not net pay.

What Google is doing is ensuring that holding all else equal that its straight employees and gay employees receive the same net compenstation. How does gross matter here when the bottom line is the amount its employees take home at the end of the day?

What Google is doing is ensuring that holding all else equal that its straight employees and gay employees receive the same net compenstation. How does gross matter here when the bottom line is the amount its employees take home at the end of the day?

Your gross pay is what your salary is. It is your official compensation for the work that you provide. Your net pay is what you get after deductions from other sources. What google is doing is altering salaries based on sexual orientation. Though I agree with the principle of what they are doing, along with the legality, it is still morally discriminatory. They are treating one group differently than another. How the government treats these groups is irrelevant in relation to what google is doing.

Your gross pay is what your salary is. It is your official compensation for the work that you provide. Your net pay is what you get after deductions from other sources. What google is doing is altering salaries based on sexual orientation. Though I agree with the principle of what they are doing, along with the legality, it is still morally discriminatory. They are treating one group differently than another. How the government treats these groups is irrelevant in relation to what google is doing.

Either way Google would discriminate aganist one group. If they did nothing, then straights and gays would receive unequal compensation for equal work on the amounts they take home. If they engage in this, then gays receive artificially high gross but equal net for equal work.

Focusing on amounts that no one actually gets doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

How exatcly is Google discriminating when it is ensuring that employees who do the same work end up with the same pay at the end of the day regardless of their orientation? Gays aren't really getting paid more, they're getting paid the same as their straight counter parts. What discrimination is there in this? If the government won't ensure that the rights, priviledges and benefits straights enjoy are also granted to gays I see no problem with private employers picking up the slack.

Then I'm going to work for Google and saying I'm gay.

I can see a Chuck and Larry style operation going on there in the near future......

I doubt it. It would cost them more to find out I like chicks than it would to just give me more money.

Besides, it's private sector. They're less prone to just flat-out waste money.

Then I'm going to work for Google and saying I'm gay.

You'll have to be in a civil union to get the benefits. So, go ahead. You can also enter a sham marriage if you want to get the same net pay.

To clarify: The "extra" pay isn't being paid to all gay employees, it's being paid to gay employees who are in a civil union. Google basically decided on their own that there shouldn't be a difference in net pay between a straight married couple and a gay civil union-ized couple.

Last edited:
I doubt it. It would cost them more to find out I like chicks than it would to just give me more money.

Besides, it's private sector. They're less prone to just flat-out waste money.

And when they find out you are BSing them what happens?

And when they find out you are BSing them what happens?

yourefired.gif

:bravo:Thats awesome good for google doing the right thing and stepping up to the plate where discrimination exists and trying to level the field.

on this matter I :applaud you google

WELL DONE!

I love this story. It demonstrates how the free market can work in favor of promoting equal rights. Sure, maybe Google did it to appear inclusive, progressive, etc. Who cares, as long as they're doing the right thing, which IMO they are. That's one of the great things about money, it doesn't care who you are, as long as you provide profit. Doesn't work so well in other areas, but when it comes to inclusion and fighting discrimination, I say let the market decide!

Back
Top Bottom