• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google Starts Translating Farsi

Kernel Sanders

Norville Rogers
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Source [CNN | Iran: Google starts translating Persian]

Internet giant Google on Friday started translating Persian, also known as Farsi, in a move that could dramatically help spread information on the Iranian election crisis.

The Google Translate Web page is allowing users to translate Persian text into English and vice versa, the company said.

The service is free, "whether it's a news story, a Web site, a blog, an e-mail, a tweet or a Facebook message," a Google news release said. "We feel that launching Persian is particularly important now, given ongoing events in Iran."

Google's press release

Source [The Official Google Blog | Google Translates Persian]

Today, we added Persian (Farsi) to Google Translate. This means you can now translate any text from Persian into English and from English into Persian — whether it's a news story, a website, a blog, an email, a tweet or a Facebook message. The service is available free at Google Translate.

We feel that launching Persian is particularly important now, given ongoing events in Iran. Like YouTube and other services, Google Translate is one more tool that Persian speakers can use to communicate directly to the world, and vice versa — increasing everyone's access to information.

As with all machine translation, it's not perfect yet. And we're launching this service quickly, so it may perform slowly at times. We'll keep a close watch and if it breaks, we'll restore service as quickly as we can.

We've optimized this service for translation between Persian and English. But we're working hard to improve Persian translation for the additional 40 languages available via Google Translate. If you see something you think is incorrectly translated, we invite you to click on the "contribute a better translation" link and we'll learn from your correction.

The web provides many new channels of communication that enable us to see events unfold in real-time around the world. We hope that Google Translate helps make all that information accessible to you — no matter what language you speak. So please visit Google Translate and try it out.

I didn't know quite where to put this, so I put it in the tech forum. I thought that plenty of members here will find this valuable, especially given the current plethora of citizen-journalism in Iran - the vast majority of which will never be officially translated.

Link to Google Translate

Source [CNN | Iran: Google starts translating Persian]

Google's press release

Source [The Official Google Blog | Google Translates Persian]

I didn't know quite where to put this, so I put it in the tech forum. I thought that plenty of members here will find this valuable, especially given the current plethora of citizen-journalism in Iran - the vast majority of which will never be officially translated.

Link to Google Translate

Thanks Kernal Sanders, This is indeed great news.

Back
Top Bottom