• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google may start pay-per-view movies on YouTube

I for one won't be looking forward to it.

YouTube videos run as high as 1080p, so not sure how much catching up they will have to do in terms of that. I would tend to think YouTube even has higher name recognition, so it might be quite a battle for customers.

YouTube videos run as high as 1080p, so not sure how much catching up they will have to do in terms of that. I would tend to think YouTube even has higher name recognition, so it might be quite a battle for customers.

IMO, YouTube's name recognition hurts it as much as it helps. People don't associate YouTube with high-quality movies; they associate it with 2-minute videos of dancing cats. I think Google would be much better off if they spun off their pay-per-view movie business into a separate website. Or at least somehow segregated it within YouTube.

I think this would be like if McDonald's decided to add some gourmet entrees to their menu. They'd probably have higher name recognition than any of their competitors in that market...but not in a good way. It's just not what they do well.

Last edited:
Netflix has a big head start, and the current video quality of YouTube is laughably bad compared to Netflix. The competition will be good, but Google has a lot of catching up to do.

$5 per? They're crazy.

Back
Top Bottom