• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google Honors Activist who Supported Terror

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Google Honors Activist Yuri Kochiyama On 95th Birthday - NBC News

You have to wonder if they have also hired 22 year olds right out of Ivy League to run their Doodle program. Yuri Kochiyama supported any number of violent revolutionaries who went on to murder thousands of their own people. She is quoted in her bio as saying

"the goal of the war [on terrorism] is more than just getting oil and fuel. The United States is intent on taking over the world"

and

"it's important we all understand that the main terrorist and the main enemy of the world's people is the U.S. government. Racism has been a weakness of this country from its beginning. Throughout history, all people of color, and all people who don't see eye-to-eye with the U.S. government have been subject to American terror."

No doubt, some people on this forum will be right in to agree with her.

I know nothing about this woman. Can you cite the cases where she supported terror? Nothing in your quotes or article indicate such a thing.

You have to wonder if they have also hired 22 year olds right out of Ivy League to run their Doodle program. Yuri Kochiyama supported any number of violent revolutionaries who went on to murder thousands of their own people. She is quoted in her bio as saying

"the goal of the war [on terrorism] is more than just getting oil and fuel. The United States is intent on taking over the world"

and

"it's important we all understand that the main terrorist and the main enemy of the world's people is the U.S. government. Racism has been a weakness of this country from its beginning. Throughout history, all people of color, and all people who don't see eye-to-eye with the U.S. government have been subject to American terror."

A Japanese woman accusing the US of being racist??? Japan is one of the most racist countries you'll ever visit. They are virulently racist, anti black, white, Korean, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, Chinese, Russian... It would be easier to just list the people they aren't racist against: Japanese. Japan is also one of the most imperialistic nations of the 20th century...

I know nothing about this woman. Can you cite the cases where she supported terror? Nothing in your quotes or article indicate such a thing.

Make an effort to get educated. This is just from wiki:

In 1977, Kochiyama joined the group of Puerto Ricans who took over the Statue of Liberty to draw attention to the struggle for Puerto Rican independence. Kochiyama and other activists demanded the release of four Puerto Rican nationalists convicted of attempted murder—Lolita Lebrón, Rafael Cancel Miranda, Andres Figueroa Cordero, and Irving Flores Rodríguez—who in 1954 had opened fire in the House of Representatives, injuring five congressmen.

Kochiyama was a friend and supporter of Assata Shakur, an African-American activist and member of the former Black Liberation Army (BLA), who has been convicted of several crimes including first-degree murder before escaping from U.S. prison and receiving asylum in Cuba.

Kochiyama also travelled to Peru to gather support for Abimael Guzman, leader of the Shining Path, which is classified by the Peruvian government, the U.S., the European Union, and Canada as a terrorist organization and has been widely condemned for its brutality, including violence deployed against peasants, trade union organizers, popularly elected officials and the general civilian population.[13][14][15] Kochiyama stated "[t]he more I read, the more I came to completely support the revolution in Peru."

Kochiyama also supported Yu Kikumura, an alleged member of the Japanese Red Army, who was arrested in Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam in 1986 when he was found carrying a bomb in his luggage and subsequently convicted of planning to bomb a US Navy recruitment office in the Veteran's Administration building. Kochiyama felt Kikumura's 30-year sentence was motivated by his political activism.[16]

In 2003, while being interviewed by Tamara Kil Ja Kim Nopper, Kochiyama said "... I consider Osama bin Laden as one of the people that I admire. To me, he is in the category of Malcolm X, Che Guevara, Patrice Lumumba, Fidel Castro, all leaders that I admire.... You asked, 'Should freedom fighters support him?' Freedom fighters all over the world, and not just in the Muslim world, don’t just support him; they revere him; they join him in battle. He is no ordinary leader or an ordinary Muslim."

Make an effort to get educated. This is just from wiki:

The OP was making an assertion. I was asking the OP to back up his assertion. That is the way these types of discussions generally work. But thank you for the information you provided, it is informative.

Her response to a terror attack on the US, that the US are the real terrorists, would imply that she supports them. The real story here though is Googles ignorance about the people they honor. Or their bias in an American media company honoring a violent revolutionary who hated the US. If it helps, imagine if they put a confederate flag up there.

Given the sheer volume of wiki edits made today, I'd be cautious about forming an opinion of the woman based solely on that wikipedia article.

Given the sheer volume of wiki edits made today, I'd be cautious about forming an opinion of the woman based solely on that wikipedia article.

The quotes set off my bs alarm, but read her thoughts on Bin Laden. To call them "adulatory" would be the understatement of the century.

Yuri Kochiyama : LA IMC

Anybody that can sit there and say they advocate and justify someone action's for killing other innocent people, then her and others have the audacity to call her a 'humanist'. That's disturbing.

It's almost as disturbing as a company as big as Google dedicating a front page to her.

You have to wonder if they have also hired 22 year olds right out of Ivy League to run their Doodle program. Yuri Kochiyama supported any number of violent revolutionaries who went on to murder thousands of their own people. She is quoted in her bio as saying "the goal of the war [on terrorism] is more than just getting oil and fuel. The United States is intent on taking over the world" and "it's important we all understand that the main terrorist and the main enemy of the world's people is the U.S. government. Racism has been a weakness of this country from its beginning. Throughout history, all people of color, and all people who don't see eye-to-eye with the U.S. government have been subject to American terror." No doubt, some people on this forum will be right in to agree with her.

Just curious, do you think Rep Peter King of Long Island is a supporter of terrorists who have killed thousands of their own people?

Are you selective about which supporters of terrorists you tut tut, or just want to wag the finger at corporations you don't care for? :peace

and

Damn. :shock:

Google is honoring this lady?

Just curious, do you think Rep Peter King of Long Island is a supporter of terrorists who have killed thousands of their own people?

Are you selective about which supporters of terrorists you tut tut, or just want to wag the finger at corporations you don't care for? :peace

Is that rhetorical, or do you want a serious answer?

Is that rhetorical, or do you want a serious answer?

Serious answer, what about this, honoring a very old person who supported terrorists- but I don't see where the support was participatory- is worthy of comment? I'd opine millions of good Christian folks in this country support what many in the target nation(s) would call dastardly terrorists.

What tripped your trigger on this one??? :peace

A Japanese woman accusing the US of being racist??? Japan is one of the most racist countries you'll ever visit. They are virulently racist, anti black, white, Korean, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, Chinese, Russian... It would be easier to just list the people they aren't racist against: Japanese. Japan is also one of the most imperialistic nations of the 20th century...

I have a friend who visited Japan recently with his wife, who is Japanese American. My friend is white.
They went to a couples spa together, and were turned away because he was a "foreigner". She was born in the US so is technically a foreigner too, but they said they could serve her but not him.

Could you imagine this happening in the US? It'd be covered by every news outlet.

Instead of attempting to deflect the discussion, how about you address the OP?? What do you think about this woman?? Is she someone worthy of our honor and respect??

Instead of attempting to deflect the discussion, how about you address the OP?? What do you think about this woman?? Is she someone worthy of our honor and respect??

'Our' honor???? I never heard of her until the whine... :roll:

Google wants to honor her, I can live with that.

Now how about answering my question- which isn't a deflection but putting the shoe on the other right wing foot. MILLIONs of Christian folks have poured millions of dollars and heaped high praise on terrorists who have killed thousands of their fellow citizens.

Ya think those terrorists are 'worthy of our honor'??? :peace

Now how about answering my question- which isn't a deflection but putting the shoe on the other right wing foot. MILLIONs of Christian folks have poured millions of dollars and heaped high praise on terrorists who have killed thousands of their fellow citizens.

I agree that if Google wants to honor her, then they should be allowed to, but that isn't the the subject of the thread, now is it. The subject is a question about the wisdom of making such a choice and promoting someone who is not what people should consider a role model. Now you want to avoid that point and deflect the discussion away from it while all the while avoiding answering the core question of whether or not this is someone that is deserving of honor. You agreed that Google should be allowed to honor her, but you never took a stand on whether she is deserving of that honor and instead chose to try to threadjack the subject at hand...

I have a friend who visited Japan recently with his wife, who is Japanese American. My friend is white.
They went to a couples spa together, and were turned away because he was a "foreigner". She was born in the US so is technically a foreigner too, but they said they could serve her but not him.

Could you imagine this happening in the US? It'd be covered by every news outlet.

The business would be fined out of existence.

I agree that if Google wants to honor her, then they should be allowed to, but that isn't the the subject of the thread, now is it. The subject is a question about the wisdom of making such a choice and promoting someone who is not what people should consider a role model. Now you want to avoid that point and deflect the discussion away from it while all the while avoiding answering the core question of whether or not this is someone that is deserving of honor. You agreed that Google should be allowed to honor her, but you never took a stand on whether she is deserving of that honor and instead chose to try to threadjack the subject at hand...

Again no hijack- you are continuing THAT discussion- and not answering my simple question... :roll:

I don't care if google 'honors' her, I wonder what the 'honor' was anyway.

My opinion is neutral, don't care either way- I know the zero sum partisans hate that, don't agree with them but don't make a target for them to vent their spleen all over...
(are you new here, ALL threads wander off topic, you seem only concerned about this one- partisan lean showing????)

I would either answer him or let it go. He's trying to deflect her behaviors onto people of the other side of the political spectrum. It's about the only thing anybody can do these days, instead of owning responsibility and realizing there are bad and good people with every self-identified viewpoint.

Google does have that right, but for a company with an image like Google, I find it hypocritical they would support someone like her. I think it stemed from a lack of shortsightedness and awareness.

Her response to a terror attack on the US, that the US are the real terrorists, would imply that she supports them. The real story here though is Googles ignorance about the people they honor. Or their bias in an American media company honoring a violent revolutionary who hated the US. If it helps, imagine if they put a confederate flag up there.

The people at Google being hard core leftists has been known for many years now, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Again no hijack- you are continuing THAT discussion- and not answering my simple question... :roll:

I don't care if google 'honors' her, I wonder what the 'honor' was anyway.

My opinion is neutral, don't care either way- I know the zero sum partisans hate that, don't agree with them but don't make a target for them to vent their spleen all over...
(are you new here, ALL threads wander off topic, you seem only concerned about this one- partisan lean showing????)

If you don't care, then your only purpose here is to troll the thread....

Serious answer, what about this, honoring a very old person who supported terrorists- but I don't see where the support was participatory- is worthy of comment? I'd opine millions of good Christian folks in this country support what many in the target nation(s) would call dastardly terrorists.

What tripped your trigger on this one??? :peace

It was unusual for Google to repeat a standard liberal mistake, honoring someone who did something good while ignoring (or being ignorant) of all the bad.

I dont see where anyone would say that. Give me an example.

Back
Top Bottom