• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Goodyear Contract deadline approacheth

Fisher

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Tire Review - Union Contract Deadline Looms, What Will the Two Sides Do?

With contracts for two tiremakers and another tire plant set to expire before noon on Saturday, July 27, the limited amount of information available indicates the USW and Goodyear, Bridgestone Americas and Michelin North America remain far from signing a new multi-year pact.

At the same time, the silence of the tiremakers and standard rhetoric by the union

On July 23, the USW negotiators were a bit sterner: “Little progress has been made on matters concerning” a number of issues, including wages, healthcare, pensions and vacations.

“Our members should start to prepare for the financial struggles that may lie ahead,” the negotiating team warned. “Should you feel the need to apply for a 401k loan, you must do so before the contract deadline expires.”

From what I have read in other articles is Goodyear wants to eliminate their traditional pension plan and double health insurance cost for the employees among other concessions. Since I have heard that Goodyear has a plant in China ready to up production and it keeps a huge surplus of tires in preparation for strikes, this could get interesting. I'd still go ahead and get tires now if I thought I was going to need them soon, beyond that I think unions are going to be fighting a retreating benefits battle across most companies between Obamacare and the free trade policies that are exporting manufacturing jobs overseas.

Tire Review - Union Contract Deadline Looms, What Will the Two Sides Do?

With contracts for two tiremakers and another tire plant set to expire before noon on Saturday, July 27, the limited amount of information available indicates the USW and Goodyear, Bridgestone Americas and Michelin North America remain far from signing a new multi-year pact.

At the same time, the silence of the tiremakers and standard rhetoric by the union

On July 23, the USW negotiators were a bit sterner: “Little progress has been made on matters concerning” a number of issues, including wages, healthcare, pensions and vacations.

“Our members should start to prepare for the financial struggles that may lie ahead,” the negotiating team warned. “Should you feel the need to apply for a 401k loan, you must do so before the contract deadline expires.”

From what I have read in other articles is Goodyear wants to eliminate their traditional pension plan and double health insurance cost for the employees among other concessions. Since I have heard that Goodyear has a plant in China ready to up production and it keeps a huge surplus of tires in preparation for strikes, this could get interesting. I'd still go ahead and get tires now if I thought I was going to need them soon, beyond that I think unions are going to be fighting a retreating benefits battle across most companies between Obamacare and the free trade policies that are exporting manufacturing jobs overseas.

Goodyear and Michelin are good tires usually but way too expensive. Brigestone/Firestone pretty much suck ass anyways. Don't guess they have the "Hostess Option", so guess outsourcing looks better and better.

Don't know about the states with "Right to work", but they may just be able to let the union walk out and then hire replacements until the unions want to work again.

Goodyear and Michelin are good tires usually but way too expensive. Brigestone/Firestone pretty much suck ass anyways. Don't guess they have the "Hostess Option", so guess outsourcing looks better and better.

Don't know about the states with "Right to work", but they may just be able to let the union walk out and then hire replacements until the unions want to work again.

Yeah my understanding is you cannot get many scabs to cross their picket lines because of all the crap that happens to them that leftist would argue never happens when unions go on strike. They make the non-union folks and management come in and work though that is as much symbolic as it is productive. That is a nasty, labor-intensive process to make tires.

Goodyear makes some of the off-brand tires too. I think Kelly's are actually Goodyear made tires.

Yeah my understanding is you cannot get many scabs to cross their picket lines because of all the crap that happens to them that leftist would argue never happens when unions go on strike. They make the non-union folks and management come in and work though that is as much symbolic as it is productive. That is a nasty, labor-intensive process to make tires.

Goodyear makes some of the off-brand tires too. I think Kelly's are actually Goodyear made tires.

Kelley Springfield is owned by Goodyear but operates as a separate company. They are one of the biggest "house brand" manufactures in the industry.

I asked because if I remember correctly Schwab is the largest Toyo dealer in N America. At least they were when I was in the business.

Kelley Springfield is owned by Goodyear but operates as a separate company. They are one of the biggest "house brand" manufactures in the industry.

Too bad they quit making Arizonan and Pathfinder for Discount Tire, have had several sets, darn good tires that lasted a good longtime.

Too bad they quit making Arizonan and Pathfinder for Discount Tire, have had several sets, darn good tires that lasted a good longtime.

I agree. When I was selling them we had fewer warrantees percentage wise than all the other big brands we sold.

Back
Top Bottom