• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Goodbye, Miami [W:31]

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The state of Florida is doomed. Sea levels are rising, due to global warming, and by 2100, the vast majority of the state will be under water. Due to the porous limestone that the state sits on, there is no way to build dykes to stop the water. What's worse is that, because of the politics of global warming deniers, nothing is going to be done.

Buh bye, Florida. It was nice knowing you.

Article is here.

We could start dumping all our trash there to give them some verticality

I'm getting tired of doomsday scares. Can't we try another scare every once in awhile?

That is what most cities are built on. Paris, London, Boston, New York all on built on trash.

I'm getting tired of doomsday scares. Can't we try another scare every once in awhile?

Not sure what you expect. The world didn't suddenly become immune to geological transformations and mass extinction events because humanity happened to evolve on it.

That is what most cities are built on. Paris, London, Boston, New York all on built on trash.

Well apparently at least one is built on something else....

The state of Florida is doomed. Sea levels are rising, due to global warming, and by 2100, the vast majority of the state will be under water. Due to the porous limestone that the state sits on, there is no way to build dykes to stop the water. What's worse is that, because of the politics of global warming deniers, nothing is going to be done.

Article is here.

They said the same thing about the CA coast and, oh, look...it's still there.

Not saying global warming isn't real or that man isn't helping that cause along. I'm just saying...well, let's see how things go in another 87 years or so, okay?

They said the same thing about the CA coast and, oh, look...it's still there.

Not saying global warming isn't real or that man isn't helping that cause along. I'm just saying...well, let's see how things go in another 87 years or so, okay?

Well that and when I was staying on the coast at Daytona when a tropical storm came through the sea walls seemed to do a pretty good job at stopping the surf surging in. I don't think anything topping the wall ever reached the strip. We just would just need to make them a few feet higher is all.

No Goodbye, the Heat are winning 3 in a row.

I suppose I should note: Even if dykes were built (and we're talkin' stacked and hot), saltwater intrusion of the aquifer would render south Fl all but uninhabitable. I figure 80-200 years before "Saving the Everglades" becomes obviously "Learning from the Everglades to Help in Rebuilding Wetlands Elsewhere" even to laymen. The the largest eco-restoration project ever "attempted" is an academic endeavor. There is no saving the Everglades beyond knowledge and understanding; deal with it.

Last edited:

As was most of the scenic Bay Area. And Rollingstone is who we now look to for accurate future predictions? You wouldn't happen to be in the market for these magic beans would you? I'll let them go cheap. :mrgreen:

... isn't that what we've been doing all along?

No Goodbye, the Heat are winning 3 in a row.

I suppose I should note: Even if dykes were built (and we're talkin' stacked and hot), saltwater intrusion of the aquifer would render south Fl all but uninhabitable. I figure 80-200 years before "Saving the Everglades" becomes obviously "Learning from the Everglades to Help in Rebuilding Wetlands Elsewhere" even to laymen. The the largest eco-restoration project ever "attempted" is an academic endeavor. There is no saving the Everglades beyond knowledge and understanding; deal with it.

The salt water intrusion is going to happen much sooner than the sea covering Florida. There may be no potable water in parts of Florida in as little as 20 years. But that can be dealt with through distillation technologies.

The salt water intrusion is going to happen much sooner than the sea covering Florida. There may be no potable water in parts of Florida in as little as 20 years.

Salt water intrusion pretty much wipes out the Everglades from underneath. Karst topography is very permeable. We cannot create dykes deep enough to prevent that, it's a done deal.

Last edited:
So before we revel in the loss of Miami, let's take a moment of silence for the loss of this:

Everglades National Park was designated an International Biosphere Reserve on October 26, 1976. International Biosphere Reserves are a project of the Man and the Biosphere program of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Reserves are protected samples of the world's major ecosystem types. These sites are standards against which we can measure human impact on our environment and predict its probable effects. There are currently 563 reserves in 109 countries.

Everglades National Park became a World Heritage Site on October 26, 1979. World Heritage Sites are also designated by UNESCO under the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage. By 2010, the World Heritage Convention included 187 nations which had ratified the agreement and placed more than 911 sites on the World Heritage List.

The Everglades was designated as a Wetland of International Importance on June 4, 1987. Known popularly as the "Ramsar Convention", the Convention on Wetlands, signed in Ramsar, Iran, in 1971, is an intergovernmental treaty which provides the framework for national action and international cooperation for the conservation and wise use of wetlands and their resources. There are presently 160 parties to the Convention, with 1929 wetland sites, designated for inclusion in the Ramsar List of Wetlands of International Importance.

Everglades is Internationally Significanct - Everglades National Park

Article is here.

Only a liberal fool will drink this Kool aid. :roll:

I have lived in Florida, on the coast, for over 40 years. The OP is pure BS.
Oceans are not rising and Florida is not sinking.

The salt water intrusion is going to happen much sooner than the sea covering Florida. There may be no potable water in parts of Florida in as little as 20 years. But that can be dealt with through distillation technologies.
LOL, you are full of it. You just worry about Texas, or what is left of it after the Mexicans take it back.

And he's full of it? :lamo
Yea, true. Its mostly Mexicans now. So too late for them.
I have been to Texas, I bet he has never been to Florida. Or he was one of those that came here and found out it aint all Micky Mouse and Rocket ships.
Probably showed up with that "dont mess with Texas" attitude and got ran out of town.

Yea, true. Its mostly Mexicans now. So too late for them.

Demographics of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bull****

I have been to Texas, I bet he has never been to Florida. Or he was one of those that came here and found out it aint all Micky Mouse and Rocket ships.
Probably showed up with that "dont mess with Texas" attitude and got ran out of town.

Baseless assumption, do you have anything to say that isn't pulled out of your ass?

Back
Top Bottom