• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Goodbye, Miami [W:31]

"Stuart compares Miami with Baiae, the ancient Roman resort town in the bay of Naples that was once a playground for Nero and Julius Ceasar. Today, because of volcanic activity, the ruins of Baiae are mostly under water."

Damn global warming...

"Stuart compares Miami with Baiae, the ancient Roman resort town in the bay of Naples that was once a playground for Nero and Julius Ceasar. Today, because of volcanic activity, the ruins of Baiae are mostly under water."

Damn global warming...

Yea, those damn pesky volcanos in Florida... LOL.

Seriously, you can't compare Miama with Baiae.

Since this is a politics site, I'll ask the obvious question - who gets their 29 electoral college votes?

Since this is a politics site, I'll ask the obvious question - who gets their 29 electoral college votes?

Probably New York as all the residents return to their place of birth. :2razz:

Moderator's Warning:
Debate the topic, not other posters.

Yea, those damn pesky volcanos in Florida... LOL.

Seriously, you can't compare Miama with Baiae.
I didnt...they did. In the article cited by the OP. Take it up with that guy...

I didnt...they did. In the article cited by the OP. Take it up with that guy...

It wasn't compared as a cause, and the paragraph, the last of the article, had absolutely nothing to do with the main context of the article, which is global warming, but only that humans move on after a disaster. So what did you post?

Damn global warming...

That was quite dishonest.

What's worse is that, because of the politics of global warming deniers, nothing is going to be done.

the politics of global warming believers is also the problem.

don't believe me. go see what they think should be done every time the economy goes in to a recession. I guarantee they will look to the government to spur the economy back on so consumers consume again.

It wasn't compared as a cause, and the paragraph, the last of the article, had absolutely nothing to do with the main context of the article, which is global warming, but only that humans move on after a disaster. So what did you post?

That was quite dishonest.
Was that or was that not in your article that you cited? Did they or did they not draw a comparison of two cities, one taken down by a natural causes, the other threatened by a natural cause that 1-has been occuring since the beginning of time, 2- is the opposite of what the 'science' preached during the 70's, and 3-one which has to have data manipulated in order to give the 'appropriate' results showing THIS time...THIS time its MANS fault.

Was that or was that not in your article that you cited? Did they or did they not draw a comparison of two cities, one taken down by a natural causes, the other threatened by a natural cause that 1-has been occuring since the beginning of time, 2- is the opposite of what the 'science' preached during the 70's, and 3-one which has to have data manipulated in order to give the 'appropriate' results showing THIS time...THIS time its MANS fault.

LOL. Show me that the article is about manipulating the data.

The theme of the article starts right after the hypothetical story about the 2030 hurricane.

Sea-level rise is not a hypothetical disaster. It is a physical fact of life on a warming planet, the basic dynamics of which even a child can understand: Heat melts ice. Since the 1920s, the global average sea level has risen about nine inches, mostly from the thermal expansion of the ocean water. But thanks to our 200-year-long fossil-fuel binge, the great ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica are starting to melt rapidly now, causing the rate of sea-level rise to grow exponentially. The latest research, including an assessment by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, suggests that sea level could rise more than six feet by the end of the century.

Moreover, I am going to quote the paragraph in which the comparison was made, for everybody to see how you took it completely out of context, and attempted to claim something was in the article that was NOT in the article:
Stuart compares Miami with Baiae, the ancient Roman resort town in the bay of Naples that was once a playground for Nero and Julius Ceasar. Today, because of volcanic activity, the ruins of Baiae are mostly under water. "This is what humans do," says Stuart. "We inhabit cities, and then when something happens, we move on. The same thing will happen with Miami. The only question is, how long can we stick it out?" But for Stuart, who lives in Miami Beach, the fact that the city is doomed doesn't diminish his love for the place. "That's the thing about Miami," he says. "You'll want to be here until the very end."

The bolded part is for emphasis on what the paragraph really meant, not what you made up about it. Did you even read the whole article?

More dishonesty from you. Kind of what I've been expecting, though.

LOL. Show me that the article is about manipulating the data.

The theme of the article starts right after the hypothetical story about the 2030 hurricane.

Moreover, I am going to quote the paragraph in which the comparison was made, for everybody to see how you took it completely out of context, and attempted to claim something was in the article that was NOT in the article:

The bolded part is for emphasis on what the paragraph really meant, not what you made up about it. Did you even read the whole article?

More dishonesty from you. Kind of what I've been expecting, though.

Of COURSE it is. You post a bull**** article from a very obviously biased source (read RS much?) with the first third of it only slightly more a fairy tale than the remaining 2/3, an article that closes with a comparison that, when cited, you object to, and somehow think "mwuhaha...the argument...I am wheeeeeeening!"

Gore had us under water in the next few years and the last polar bear clinging to one ever shrinking ice cube. This article should fit in with the mythology nicely.

Quite frankly I hope everyone in Miami believes the doomsayers so I can get some cheap beach front property. :cool:

Come to think of it, all warm beach-front communities will be inhabited by CAGW skeptics.

There I go dreamin' again.....

Florida in 100 years can wait. Coastal villages in Alaska may be gone within a decade.

The people of Newtok, on the west coast of Alaska and about 400 miles south of the Bering Strait that separates the state from Russia, are living a slow-motion disaster that will end, very possibly within the next five years, with the entire village being washed away. A report by the US Army Corps of Engineers predicted that the highest point in the village – the school of Warner's nightmare – could be underwater by 2017. There was no possible way to protect the village in place, the report concluded.

If Newtok can not move its people to the new site in time, the village will disappear. A community of 350 people, nearly all related to some degree and all intimately connected to the land, will cease to exist, its inhabitants scattered to the villages and towns of western Alaska, Anchorage and beyond. It's a choice confronting more than 180 native communities in Alaska, which are flooding and losing land because of the ice melt that is part of the changing climate.

Alaska on the edge: Newtok's residents race to stop village falling into sea | Environment | The Guardian

Back
Top Bottom