• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Good news for GPU buyers

phoenix2020

Founder, Cyborg Gorillas
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Last edited:
I have seen at least one article a week since December saying that GPU prices were lowering.

I have seen at least one article a week since December saying that GPU prices were lowering.
I believe when the GPU is in my hands at this point.

I was at Best Buy today, and they actually had the 3070 Ti in stock, the same on that I bought.

They are trickling out.

I was at Best Buy today, and they actually had the 3070 Ti in stock, the same on that I bought.

They are trickling out.
What was the price though?
Same or near as what I paid. Though it was hard to see through the case, I believe it was $869

They are trickling out.

Same or near as what I paid. Though it was hard to see through the case, I believe it was $869

So $100 or more over msrp. That's not availability it's price gouging

So $100 or more over msrp. That's not availability it's price gouging
I probably would have bought 2 gpu over the last 4 years, so in the end. It's a wash...

Yeah, I upgraded from a 1060 to a 3070
Is that a big jump? I dont know squat about gaming cards. I play with Quadro and Tesla cards.

Well that's a decent jump, but if someone already had a 1080ti then paying $900 to upgrade to a 3070 ti isn't great
Can you play Red Dead 2 at 4K with every setting at Ultrra with no lag at 60 fps? DLSS and Ray tracing too.

Can you play Red Dead 2 at 4K with every setting at Ultrra with no lag at 60 fps? DLSS and Ray tracing too.

I could if I owned a 4k monitor and rdr2 on the PC

I could if I owned a 4k monitor and rdr2 on the PC
I am waiting for new flight sim to go on sale, 118 bucks for ultimate edition. Far cry 5 zooms, I just need to do final boss fight, but I'm going to explore more first.

I am waiting for new flight sim to go on sale, 118 bucks for ultimate edition. Far cry 5 zooms, I just need to do final boss fight, but I'm going to explore more first.

Flight Sim on VR is crazy, you can actually give yourself air sickness.

I have played MSFS 2020 on an OG Vive a decent amount and it is indeed surreal. I've been fortunate to have a 3080 Ti so performance is reasonable, although my aging Vive has fairly poor angular resolution so I eventually prefer to use a display to enjoy the screen candy. I haven't felt sick but I can imagine it, and after an hour doing a point to point hop, taking off the headset I struggle to stand up and walk.

My dream is a 4000-series GPU and some next gen AR/VR headset. I'm sure it's coming and I can't wait.

I believe when the GPU is in my hands at this point.
Ok fine you called it.

Ok fine you called it.

Best not to forget a lot of the materials used to make and manufacture GPUs come from Russia and Ukraine.

Well that's a decent jump, but if someone already had a 1080ti then paying $900 to upgrade to a 3070 ti isn't great

Thanks for that. I’m running a 1080ti and it’s still running my games just fine.

Eventually I want to play Elden Ring, but it’s doing just fine on my current game (XCOM2) and had just finished the Dark Souls series. Sekiro is in the pipeline. I was thinking of looking for Elden Ring on the fall/winter Steam sale.

WW

Speaking of GPUs and the like....I'm eyeing this:

My imac is old. Late 2013. I don't think I need the 64-core GPU over the 48-core, but what I currently have sitting pre-cart is a cool five grand. It'd be another grand. Thing is I don't do video editing, I just finally want a Mac that's good at gaming graphics. You know, max FPS at max settings. For a while. And I have little doubt that a well-built PC would run me less. I just hate windows with a passion. Always had windows at work, Mac at home, until I worked from home.

Looking at:
20-core CPU, 48-core GPU, 32-core neural engine
64GB unified memory (but maybe 128)
4 TB SSD

But again, I have a sneaking suspicion my eyes are greedier than whatever is said to use a computer. Probably wasteful if I just want gaming. But otherwise I have to step down to a 24-inch imac. And then I gotta buy a monitor worthy of such a beast. A good chunk of change. But then I almost never splurge on myself. I just don't need stuff.

On the other hand... There is the lower tier of studio machines (a single M1 chip, rather than two)

The other option:
-24" iMac, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 16gb unified memory, 2 TB SSD,

Meh...I mean.. even downsizing my monitor? Sure, that one is 4.5k retina and mine isn't, but...

Or bititng the bullet and going PC. But ...

Last edited:
I just finally want a Mac that's good at gaming graphics. You know, max FPS at max settings. For a while. And I have little doubt that a well-built PC would run me less. I just hate windows with a passion. Always had windows at work, Mac at home, until I worked from home.

am91wo2_460s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom