• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Good News : California’s teen pregnancy rate has dropped nearly 60 percent

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The fewer unwanted pregnancies the fewer abortions.

California's teen pregnancy dropped 60 percent between 1991 and 2011 and the national rate fell almost 50 percent between 1991 and 2011.

California’s teen pregnancy rate has dropped nearly 60 percent as a result of expanded sex education programs, according to a report released by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) on Wednesday.

The report –- which was based on data collected until 2011 -- revealed that the California teen pregnancy rate reached a 20-year low that year. While in 1991, there were 70.9 births for every 1,000 teens aged 15-19, in 2011 this number decreased to 28 births per 1,000 teens.
<SNIP>

The national teen birth rate dropped nearly 50 percent between 1991 and 2011, NBC's Today Health reported.

Read more:

California Teen Pregnancy Rates Drop 60 Percent Thanks To Sex Education

California's teen pregnancy dropped 60 percent between 1991 and 2011 and the national rate fell almost 50 percent between 1991 and 2011.

Read more:

Odd that this story was placed under abortion, as the article seems to go out of its way to never mention abortion. The teen birth rate is not synonymous with the teen pregnancy rate since abortions can prevent teen birth yet not teen pregnancy. The more teen abortions the fewer teen births even with the teen pregnancy rate remaining the same.

TOP 10 STATES WITH HIGHEST TEEN ABORTION RATE 2013 - American Live Wire

Last edited:
Odd that this story was placed under abortion, as the article seems to go out of its way to never mention abortion. The teen birth rate is not synonymous with the teen pregnancy rate since abortions can prevent teen birth yet not teen pregnancy. The more teen abortions the fewer teen births even with the teen pregnancy rate remaining the same.

TOP 10 STATES WITH HIGHEST TEEN ABORTION RATE 2013 - American Live Wire

C'mon twtt. You're smarter than that.

The first line of the OP makes the connection

C'mon twtt. You're smarter than that.

The first line of the OP makes the connection

You are confusing the linked story's actual content with the bold assertion of the OP. The title of the linked story mentioned teen pregnancy rates, yet the linked story neither mentioned any such actual numbers (although it did allude to some change percentages) nor made any abortion references at all - it immediately switched to the teen birth rates and supplied actual CA teen birth rate numbers from 2011 and oddly the (carefully chosen?) "base years" of 1991 and 2001. The story then went on to babble about what "was said to" have accounted for this statistical miracle.

Several factors contributed to the falling pregnancy rates, the department said in a press release. One factor was the state’s school sex education program...

You are confusing the linked story's actual content with the bold assertion of the OP. The title of the linked story mentioned teen pregnancy rates, yet the linked story neither mentioned any such actual numbers (although it did allude to some change percentages) nor made any abortion references at all - it immediately switched to the teen birth rates and supplied actual CA teen birth rate numbers from 2011 and oddly the (carefully chosen?) "base years" of 1991 and 2001. The story then went on to babble about what "was said to" have accounted for this statistical miracle.

Every paragraph but one in the linked article mentions teen pregnancy, and the first paragraph links to the report with the numbers. I don't understand why you think the article must actually report the #'s when they provided a link to the actual #'s. Anyone who wants to know what the actual %'s are can click on the link.

As far as linking this story to abortion, that is the OP's doing and there's nothing wrong with that. Taking facts from other sources and using them to make an argument is SOP on discussion boards. It's done all the time. The issue is how well the OP does in making the connections, and in this case, I see nothing wrong with the OP's argument. I think it's pretty clear that fewer unwanted pregnancies = few abortions.

If you want to dispute that assertion, or the assertion that the drop is the result of sex ed, there's nothing wrong with doing so. I was merely taking issue with your complaint that this has nothing to do with abortion.

Every paragraph but one in the linked article mentions teen pregnancy, and the first paragraph links to the report with the numbers. I don't understand why you think the article must actually report the #'s when they provided a link to the actual #'s. Anyone who wants to know what the actual %'s are can click on the link.

As far as linking this story to abortion, that is the OP's doing and there's nothing wrong with that. Taking facts from other sources and using them to make an argument is SOP on discussion boards. It's done all the time. The issue is how well the OP does in making the connections, and in this case, I see nothing wrong with the OP's argument. I think it's pretty clear that fewer unwanted pregnancies = few abortions.

If you want to dispute that assertion, or the assertion that the drop is the result of sex ed, there's nothing wrong with doing so. I was merely taking issue with your complaint that this has nothing to do with abortion.

How about this fact, even with CA's higher than the national average teen abortion rate CA still ranks above the national average in teen birth rate. All teen births result from teen pregnancy, some teen births are "prevented" by abortion, no teen pregnancies are prevented by abortion.

The New Geography of Teen Mothers - Richard Florida and Sara Johnson - The Atlantic Cities

How about this fact, even with CA's higher than the national average teen abortion rate it still ranks above the national average in teen birth rate. All teen births result from teen pregnacy, some teen births are "prevented" by abortion, no teen pregnancies are prevented by abortion.

The New Geography of Teen Mothers - Richard Florida and Sara Johnson - The Atlantic Cities

I think those facts support the link between unwanted pregnancies and abortion which is why reducing the teen pregnancy rate is a good thing for anyone who wants to see a reduction in the # of abortions.

How about this fact, even with CA's higher than the national average teen abortion rate CA still ranks above the national average in teen birth rate. All teen births result from teen pregnancy, some teen births are "prevented" by abortion, no teen pregnancies are prevented by abortion.

Edit: There is indeed a national trend reducing teen pregnancy, by using birth control, yet CA is not "better" than most states in that regard.

State Teen Pregnancy Rates, Teen Abortion Rates Reveal New Mexico, New York With Highest

I think those facts support the link between unwanted pregnancies and abortion which is why reducing the teen pregnancy rate is a good thing for anyone who wants to see a reduction in the # of abortions.

I do think it's a good thing. Why do you though?

That is definitely true, my original beef was in using a story that did not include any abortion data in an abortion thread.

I do think it's a good thing. Why do you though?

For one thing, fewer abortions means a reduction in the cost of health care.

and in general, just as I like to see people get what they want (assuming what they want is reasonable) I also like to see people not get what they don't want. Unwanted pregnancies are unwanted.

Odd that this story was placed under abortion, as the article seems to go out of its way to never mention abortion. The teen birth rate is not synonymous with the teen pregnancy rate...

The teen abortion rate fell almost 60 percent since 1988 also.
From this article:
Kost also says the teen birth rate – the number of actual babies born to teenage moms - was down 35% as well; and the abortion rate among teens dropped almost 60% from its peak in 1988.

Teen pregnancy rates hit 40 year low – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

This is NOT an abortion thread. I would suggest it be moved to Sex and Sexuality.

Read more:

thats awesome, dont know how accurate their assumptions or study's of cause and effect are but i hope they are!
Several factors contributed to the falling pregnancy rates, the department said in a press release. One factor was the state’s school sex education program, which law requires to be comprehensive and medically accurate. The report also credits community-based education programs that provide sexual health information to teens and their parents.

hope they keep up the good work and programs like these are implemented nationally.

This is NOT an abortion thread. I would suggest it be moved to Sex and Sexuality.

Of course it is, you probably just do not like the implication.

Proper education and birth control use prevents abortions.

The reality is that most if not all prochoice people I know would love to see abortions severely curtailed if not eliminated. But this is not done by making abortions illegal. It is done through education and access and affordability to birth control.

It is uncomfortable for many people to think that places like Planned Parenthood does more to prevent abortions than a holier than thou individual wagging their finger at the naughty nasty woman.

Good news everyone! California teens are bright enough to realize it's a crappy place to raise a kid.

Back
Top Bottom