• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Good Guy with Gun Killed by Good Guy with Gun

Predictable.

What, exactly, does this have to do with “gun control”?

The OP source Tweet indicated that this was (ruled?) an accidental shooting (on site execution?) by confused police. It seems that being one of the active shooters present when police arrive makes a person no longer a “good guy with a gun” and thus fair game to be “accidentally” shot and killed.

Are you serious?
The OP source Tweet indicated that this was (ruled?) an accidental shooting (on site execution?) by confused police. It seems that being one of the active shooters present when police arrive makes a person no longer a “good guy with a gun” and thus fair game to be “accidentally” shot and killed.
He’s classified as a good guy because, you know, he was going after the bad guy.

BTW: there is more to the OP source than a tweet. You may want to look at that.

If they didn't have guns?

Remind me to mind my own beeswax.

Yes, what form of gun control would have prevented this “accidental” shooting?
Imagine this scenario in a school or a stadium, somebody, the bad guy, starts shooting. A good guy with a gun starts shooting, another good guy with a gun thinks the other good guy with a gun is the bad guy and then more good guys with guys start shooting at the bad guys with guys when in reality there was only one bad guy with a gun to start with but since there were a lot of people with guns confusion ruled and innocent people were shot out of pure confusion. Is it possible in a large crowd? From what I read on here there are lots of folks with concealed carry permits.

Hurley, who was inside the nearby Army Navy Surplus store, heard the gunshots and ran outside where he then shot the attacker according to witnesses.

Beesley, Hurley and the attacker all died, although it’s unclear at this time who killed who as multiple people fired shots during the initial incident and the response.

We'll see when it's confirmed.

It does complicate things though when multiple people respond to an active shooter. If you want to be a hero, you first need to assess the situation. I realize it's chaos and happening so quick but maybe if you can't handle that split second assessment, you shouldn't rush outside to try and stop it.

Yes, what form of gun control would have prevented this “accidental” shooting?
Having no assholes carrying guns like they all do now, in the delusional hope of playing superhero, would be nice.

Maybe one of these days the stupid will realize they are dumb.

This is what several Police chiefs and sheriffs worried about. Gunfire ramps everyone up. Arriving Officers will be adrenalin pumped and ready to stop 'the threat'- an active shooter. Most likely people were fleeing both shooters and 'good' guy shooting looks amazingly like a 'bad' guy shooting.

That it happens so rarely tends to point to the rarity of a 'good' guy engaging in an active shooter scenario and the event ending before LE shows up.... ✌️

Having no assholes carrying guns like they all do now, in the delusional hope of playing superhero, would be nice.

Maybe one of these days the stupid will realize they are dumb.
Hold on a sec. How do we know that by shooting the original gunman, he didn't save any potential innocent people?

The notion of concealed carry absolutely terrifies me and I'm sure the police don't like it either. A good guy pulling a gun on the bad guy is really just a shooter to those observing or to the police.

BTW what's with Colorado, seems like a disproprtinate number of non-gang related mass shootings and killing there.

Hold on a sec. How do we know that by shooting the original gunman, he didn't save any potential innocent people?
I have to wonder if he was willing to pay the ultimate price for potentially saving lives. He survived the shoot out only to die at the hands of a cop... ✌️

We'll see when it's confirmed.

It does complicate things though when multiple people respond to an active shooter. If you want to be a hero, you first need to assess the situation. I realize it's chaos and happening so quick but maybe if you can't handle that split second assessment, you shouldn't rush outside to try and stop it.
I tell students the best thing to do is get behind cover. Keep your weapon ready but somewhat hidden. If you get a clean shot at the active shooter-take it-especially if he is threatening you but don't go hunting

The notion of concealed carry absolutely terrifies me and I'm sure the police don't like it either.
Considering the fact that police are often concealed carriers, I doubt they don't like it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it.
A good guy pulling a gun on the bad guy is really just a shooter to those observing or to the police.
That depends.
BTW what's with Colorado, seems like a disproprtinate number of non-gang related mass shootings and killing there.
If you don't like Colorado you don't have to go there, you should be safe and happy in Canada, you should stay there.

I tell students the best thing to do is get behind cover. Keep your weapon ready but somewhat hidden. If you get a clean shot at the active shooter-take it-especially if he is threatening you but don't go hunting

That's great advice.

Anything else you tell your students you want to share? ;)

The notion of concealed carry absolutely terrifies me and I'm sure the police don't like it either. A good guy pulling a gun on the bad guy is really just a shooter to those observing or to the police.

the thought of being trapped in say a restaurant or theater by an active shooter and having no way to fight back effectively is what terrifies most normal folks

the thought of being trapped in say a restaurant or theater by an active shooter and having no way to fight back effectively is what terrifies most normal folks
I would say arson is scarier than shootings, it can kill more people.

Predictable.

This is what I've heard is a concern for the police. That the "good guy with a gun" is, in the heat of an exchange and when police show up after it is ongoing, indifferentiable from the bad guy with a gun.

Perhaps we should have a law that good guys wear white cowboy hats. That way we will easily be able to identify them and they will be able to save the day without, themselves, being killed.

If you don't like Colorado you don't have to go there, you should be safe and happy in Canada, you should stay there.
I actually love Colorado, a lovely State with great parks. Just seems lately there have been several mass murders in the last year or so which doesn't jive with my sense of Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom