• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Good Deal/No Deal

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I haven't seen it yet but I have a client interested in trading a Colt Cobra for his return (figure a $750 deal). He says it's never been fired and in the box.

I haven't seen it yet but I have a client interested in trading a Colt Cobra for his return (figure a $750 deal). He says it's never been fired and in the box.

I know the Colt Python has become a hot collector's item even though its overrated in terms of performance. The Cobra isn't quite as desired but I have seen new ones in the box go for 1000 or so

I just never had any use for the Colt lock work compared to the Smiths. Smiths win that hands down

best suggestion is to look on places like gun broker to get an idea of current value. the gun is at least 16 years old since I think colt pulled the plug on revolvers around 1999

I know the Colt Python has become a hot collector's item even though its overrated in terms of performance. The Cobra isn't quite as desired but I have seen new ones in the box go for 1000 or so

I just never had any use for the Colt lock work compared to the Smiths. Smiths win that hands down

best suggestion is to look on places like gun broker to get an idea of current value. the gun is at least 16 years old since I think colt pulled the plug on revolvers around 1999

The ones I see on Gunbroker are all $1-2k but there are more than a handful and I don't know if they're selling. If I was going to buy a .38 the one I'd be looking for would be a K-38 (S&W Model 15) and then just because it was my carry piece when I was in the service. That being said, if I can pick this up for an hour of consultation and an hour of preparation then I really can't go too wrong.

The ones I see on Gunbroker are all $1-2k but there are more than a handful and I don't know if they're selling. If I was going to buy a .38 the one I'd be looking for would be a K-38 (S&W Model 15) and then just because it was my carry piece when I was in the service. That being said, if I can pick this up for an hour of consultation and an hour of preparation then I really can't go too wrong.

True enough. if its NIB you will make money off that deal

Nope..can't go wrong. You could always sell it.

I would definitely take it to a gun shop and have them do a good inspection and if they have a range I would see about running a cylinder or two to see what you think and how well it works. But depending on the going rate for them I would consider it, can always trade it for a different gun down the road. Don't know the Cobra first hand so cannot tell you what I think. I only have three wheel guns, all Ruger's, but rarely shoot them these days since I am more of a fan of auto's so tend to use them for carry and play most often. Good luck, hope it works out in your favor.

Last edited:
I would definitely take it to a gun shop and have them do a good inspection and if they have a range I would see about running a cylinder or two to see what you think and how well it works. But depending on the going rate for them I would consider it, can always trade it for a different gun down the road. Don't know the Cobra first hand so cannot tell you what I think. I only have three wheel guns, all Ruger's, but rarely shoot them these days since I am more of a fan of auto's so tend to use them for carry and play most often. Good luck, hope it works out in your favor.

The ammo for revolvers tends to be on the expensive side these days. I do keep one in my vehicle though because I like big bullets. :)

The ammo for revolvers tends to be on the expensive side these days. I do keep one in my vehicle though because I like big bullets. :)

True, especially the .44mag. That said my .45APC (1911) and .40cal (Glock G22) are plenty big, the G22 tends to be the one in my car most often but some times I downsize to one of the 9mm because I will be carrying more than simply transporting it. All will do the job they are intended for.

Got it.

Not a bad piece. NIB would be an overstatement and it has a small chip on the bottom of the frame but it doesn't appear to have had too many rounds through it. The bluing is fine and doesn't show any wear. The action is fine and it locks up nice and tight. SN puts it at '65 and what I'm seeing on Gunbroker and such is going for $800-1200 so it seems like a good deal.

The Colt Cobra is a Detective Special with an aluminum frame IIRC.

Any out of production Colt that's NIB is worth buying for $750. This will be an investment as long as you don't shoot or carry it.

82143F35-891E-4E43-B81A-9ECD0B56196C_zpsv41ehaa7.jpg

7415D0B2-4FB7-44C8-96E2-D3C9E4D214BF_zps4gaftupp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom