• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gold Medal Shooter Takes Aim at Gun Control Supporters[W:8]

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Kim Rhode shoots guns for a living, but she has long seen them as the tools of her trade, no different than a golfer’s clubs. She was surprised, then, when she was asked about gun control at the London Olympics, shortly after winning gold in skeet shooting and becoming the first American to medal in five straight Games. Four years later, America’s most-decorated Olympic shooter is more willing to wade into questions about guns and their role in American society.

“We should have the right to keep and bear arms, to protect ourselves and our family,” she says. “The second amendment was put in there not just so we can go shoot skeet or go shoot trap. It was put in so we could defend our first amendment, the freedom of speech, and also to defend ourselves against our own government.”
Gold Medal Shooter Takes Aim at Gun Control Supporters

Re: Gold Medal Shooter Takes Aim at Gun Control Supporters

I applaud her.

Sadly, her career just ended.

Kim Rhode shoots guns for a living, but she has long seen them as the tools of her trade, no different than a golfer’s clubs. She was surprised, then, when she was asked about gun control at the London Olympics, shortly after winning gold in skeet shooting and becoming the first American to medal in five straight Games. Four years later, America’s most-decorated Olympic shooter is more willing to wade into questions about guns and their role in American society.

“We should have the right to keep and bear arms, to protect ourselves and our family,” she says. “The second amendment was put in there not just so we can go shoot skeet or go shoot trap. It was put in so we could defend our first amendment, the freedom of speech, and also to defend ourselves against our own government.”

It took her four years to think up a response? (and a dull hackneyed one at that!)

It took her four years to think up a response? (and a dull hackneyed one at that!)

Get back under the skirt of your Nanny State free people are talking

I applaud her.

You might want to look into Kim's bio. She is loved and admired by generations of firearms enthusiasts. When shotgun sportsmen think of GREAT, they think of Kim. Her career hasn't even started yet. She'll still be one of the true ambassadors of the games when she is 100 years old. Cold water runs through her veins and she's one of those people who will never willingly hand over her 2nd Amendment Rights. Unlike Hillary Clinton, Kim has class and skill and talent and courage and dedication and commitment and honor. She is a fine human being and a true American.

You might want to look into Kim's bio. She is loved and admired by generations of firearms enthusiasts. When shotgun sportsmen think of GREAT, they think of Kim. Her career hasn't even started yet. She'll still be one of the true ambassadors of the games when she is 100 years old. Cold water runs through her veins and she's one of those people who will never willingly hand over her 2nd Amendment Rights. Unlike Hillary Clinton, Kim has class and skill and talent and courage and dedication and commitment and honor. She is a fine human being and a true American.

Right on, she is everything Hillary isn't, a fine human being and a true American!

Moderator's Warning:
Here in this forum you're not free to make these kinds of comments. Stick to the topic or you're going to get booted from the thread with possible points added.

I applaud her.

Her career is shooting so I doubt this will hurt her.

Then allow this wounded vet a chance to speak... ;)

She did deliver a rather hackish little speech, no doubt rehearsed. I didn't realize many folks could take the recoil from 1,000 rounds a day for many days in a row, but I guess she has the bulk and pain tolerance. I also doubt she 'buys' her ammo but whatever. Californians will get (bill just signed- dunno if it will be appealed in court) back round checked when buying ammo- but does she buy ammo or does her sponsor supply it?

Still she is a great shot, hard competitor and a credit to the sport I have to wonder about her living in California if unfettered firearm and ammo ownership means so much to her- perhaps like Phil Mickelson, she isn't as 'infringed' as she would have us believe.

Her statements and 'attitude' isn't what stops mainstream sponsors- it is the fringe following of her sport. Just not as well supported by the fan base as say women's gymnasts. I'd say her lack of mainstream sponsors comes more from the millions of firearm 'enthusiasts' failing to support their events.

Compare this shooter to the airgun champion- Miss Thrasher. She too 'laments' the focus on firearm regulations instead of her sport, but then again- be honest- how many puffing up now ever heard of either?

But do puff on, apparently Trump had zero interest in either gold medalist, but ya'll want to dog pile Hillary and not the Orange Freak... :peace

Kim's a great lady. She beat a very good friend of mine in winning the 96 gold medal-as a teenager she beat much older women including full time professionals from other country's and then SSGT Theresa Wentzel, US Army Shooting team etc. of course she is against gun control She understands that gun control is almost worthless as crime control and is designed to appease the hysterics at the cost of gun owners rights. And of course, many of the leaders of the Gun control movement intend to harass gun owners and make sport shooting so expensive that many people will quit paying membership dues to gun organizations

I applaud her.

what are you talking about- in 2012 she won by such a margin some claim the new system (where those in the finals start AT ZERO) was because of her. Going into the skeet final 25 targets she had a 7 target lead. which is like spotting Michael Phelps 25 meters in a 50 Meter freestyle race

she was saying this when she won her first gold 20 years ago. I wonder what your late Malcom Cooper thought of gun control or Richard Faulds?

Kim's a great lady. She beat a very good friend of mine in winning the 96 gold medal-as a teenager she beat much older women including full time professionals from other country's and then SSGT Theresa Wentzel, US Army Shooting team etc. of course she is against gun control She understands that gun control is almost worthless as crime control and is designed to appease the hysterics at the cost of gun owners rights. And of course, many of the leaders of the Gun control movement intend to harass gun owners and make sport shooting so expensive that many people will quit paying membership dues to gun organizations

All true.

she was saying this when she won her first gold 20 years ago. I wonder what your late Malcom Cooper thought of gun control or Richard Faulds?

Speaking of that, have you noticed how many Brit cops are carrying full automatic weapons over their shoulders now?

She did deliver a rather hackish little speech, no doubt rehearsed. I didn't realize many folks could take the recoil from 1,000 rounds a day for many days in a row, but I guess she has the bulk and pain tolerance. I also doubt she 'buys' her ammo but whatever. Californians will get (bill just signed- dunno if it will be appealed in court) back round checked when buying ammo- but does she buy ammo or does her sponsor supply it?

Still she is a great shot, hard competitor and a credit to the sport I have to wonder about her living in California if unfettered firearm and ammo ownership means so much to her- perhaps like Phil Mickelson, she isn't as 'infringed' as she would have us believe.

Her statements and 'attitude' isn't what stops mainstream sponsors- it is the fringe following of her sport. Just not as well supported by the fan base as say women's gymnasts. I'd say her lack of mainstream sponsors comes more from the millions of firearm 'enthusiasts' failing to support their events.

Compare this shooter to the airgun champion- Miss Thrasher. She too 'laments' the focus on firearm regulations instead of her sport, but then again- be honest- how many puffing up now ever heard of either?

But do puff on, apparently Trump had zero interest in either gold medalist, but ya'll want to dog pile Hillary and not the Orange Freak... :peace

All my shooting friends have moved out of Calif. Most of them went to Az or Nv. whereby large portions of the population are law abiding gun owners.

Kim was shooting far more when she was on her way up and she was a skinny little 16 year old then. yeah she's heavier than most female athletes at the games now. But that has nothing to do with her amazing endurance.

I'll be honest. I and most other shooters couldn't handle shooting 1000-3000 clay targets a week for over 20 years and not get burned out. KR asked me once (probably at opening test event at "wolf creek" held prior to the 96 games) how much I and my team mate (who ended up being on the 96 team with her in another shotgun sport) trained and I told her 300-400 targets a week, maybe 1500 a month leading up to the trials or US Nationals and she said she was shooting 3000 a week. I told the US shotgun coach Lloyd Woodhouse that either the girl was going to win the Gold medal in a couple years (she did) or she'd be sick of shooting before she graduated high school. I am at awe how she can continue at that level of intensity for 23 years or so

All my shooting friends have moved out of Calif. Most of them went to Az or Nv. whereby large portions of the population are law abiding gun owners.

Well it appears 'all your shooting friends' may not be the best metric here. 2015 was a banner year for 'gun' sales in California, setting a new record in back round checks. Perhaps all your friends have left but it appears millions of law abiding 'gun' owners have decided to stay. Stand and be counted- cut n run... an interesting metric as well.

And yet she stays, odd don't you think, I mean are your shooting friends gold medal level shooters? Like I said, many who CHOSE to live in Cali like to bitch and whine in so public a fashion with so much ahhhh 'conviction' can't seem to find the number for U-Haul... :roll:

Well it appears 'all your shooting friends' may not be the best metric here. 2015 was a banner year for 'gun' sales in California, setting a new record in back round checks. Perhaps all your friends have left but it appears millions of law abiding 'gun' owners have decided to stay. Stand and be counted- cut n run... an interesting metric as well.

And yet she stays, odd don't you think, I mean are your shooting friends gold medal level shooters? Like I said, many who CHOSE to live in Cali like to bitch and whine in so public a fashion with so much ahhhh 'conviction' can't seem to find the number for U-Haul... :roll:

I shot in several olympic/world/pan am trials held in Ontario California at the Venue (Prado Tiero) that was used for the 84 games. It was a really nice facility with once state of the art ISU skeet and trap fields, rifle facilities etc. The Olympic trials were moved away for several reasons, one included the fact that the idiotic californian gun laws considered the 22 short rapid fire Olympic pistols "assault weapons" that shooters who lived in other states could not bring into california. But for ISU skeet shooters, California has several good facilities that are conducive to KR training for world class competitions. I have no idea what her husband does-his profession, etc and her family ties that might cause her to stay.

That being said, most of the laws California has passed are designed purely to harass lawful gun ownership and have no possible chance of actually decreasing crime.

I shot in several olympic/world/pan am trials held in Ontario California at the Venue (Prado Tiero) that was used for the 84 games. It was a really nice facility with once state of the art ISU skeet and trap fields, rifle facilities etc. The Olympic trials were moved away for several reasons, one included the fact that the idiotic californian gun laws considered the 22 short rapid fire Olympic pistols "assault weapons" that shooters who lived in other states could not bring into california. But for ISU skeet shooters, California has several good facilities that are conducive to KR training for world class competitions. I have no idea what her husband does-his profession, etc and her family ties that might cause her to stay. That being said, most of the laws California has passed are designed purely to harass lawful gun ownership and have no possible chance of actually decreasing crime.

Can always count on you for a story that ties you into the topic, no matter how fringe to the discussion it might be... ;)

Actually the unsafe handgun law (pen code 31910) was amended to exempt Olympic competition pistols from out of state. There is quite a long list of exempted firearms. The most recent additions were added 7 years ago, a bit surprised you don't know this. :shock:

Interesting the competition felt strongly enough to move the pistol events but not skeet- I guess it's every venue for itself in that world...

I figure she has a few reasons to stay in California, that isn't my point. The point is she speaks so strongly, guys like Mickey use her and 'all his shooting friends' to lament California law but fact is the reasons to stay apparently far out weigh the 'deep' felt conviction about the 2nd A. (Mickelson was lamenting a totally made up % of his income that went to taxes)

I'd say her feelings of infringement are far less than the benefits she gets by staying in the Great State of California. (income, family, incredible weather)

I wish her a long and healthy life in the Golden Bear State... I enjoyed visiting it and have shot the Sacramento Range a few times. Met many nice firearm users... :peace

Can always count on you for a story that ties you into the topic, no matter how fringe to the discussion it might be... ;)

Actually the unsafe handgun law (pen code 31910) was amended to exempt Olympic competition pistols from out of state. There is quite a long list of exempted firearms. The most recent additions were added 7 years ago, a bit surprised you don't know this. :shock:

Interesting the competition felt strongly enough to move the pistol events but not skeet- I guess it's every venue for itself in that world...

I figure she has a few reasons to stay in California, that isn't my point. The point is she speaks so strongly, guys like Mickey use her and 'all his shooting friends' to lament California law but fact is the reasons to stay apparently far out weigh the 'deep' felt conviction about the 2nd A. (Mickelson was lamenting a totally made up % of his income that went to taxes)

I'd say her feelings of infringement are far less than the benefits she gets by staying in the Great State of California. (income, family, incredible weather)

I wish her a long and healthy life in the Golden Bear State... I enjoyed visiting it and have shot the Sacramento Range a few times. Met many nice firearm users... :peace

1) when Prado was dropped as the official site for picking international shooting teams-that law was listed as a reason. It was amended AFTER the move-too late.

2) The skeet events moved too-you apparently didn't read what I wrote. yes, people still shoot skeet in california but the USA shooting does not have its trials there anymore. Those are now being held mainly in Tillar, Arkansas, Colorado Springs, Arizona and Georgia. Not california any more.

rather than try to unsuccessfully contradict people who aren't left wingers, why don't you tell us why those californian laws have any validity

All my friends have firearms that Calif. has deemed illegal, so they had the choice of turning in thousands of dollars worth of guns to the authorities, for destruction, sending them to friends or family out of state, keeping them and risk being arrested down the road, or move.
Most of them are retired and packed up and left extending a big middle finger to Calif.
Many people, who are locked into a job and a future pension, are stuck in Calif. Many of those just hide their guns and hope for the best until they can leave.
The law makers and Gov. in Calif. are a bunch of liberals asswipes!

I shot in several olympic/world/pan am trials held in Ontario California at the Venue (Prado Tiero) that was used for the 84 games. It was a really nice facility with once state of the art ISU skeet and trap fields, rifle facilities etc. The Olympic trials were moved away for several reasons, one included the fact that the idiotic californian gun laws considered the 22 short rapid fire Olympic pistols "assault weapons" that shooters who lived in other states could not bring into california. But for ISU skeet shooters, California has several good facilities that are conducive to KR training for world class competitions. I have no idea what her husband does-his profession, etc and her family ties that might cause her to stay.

That being said, most of the laws California has passed are designed purely to harass lawful gun ownership and have no possible chance of actually decreasing crime.

All true. Sad state of affairs in Calif., when emotion and stupidity overrule logic and common sense.

All my friends have firearms that Calif. has deemed illegal, so they had the choice of turning in thousands of dollars worth of guns to the authorities, for destruction, sending them to friends or family out of state, keeping them and risk being arrested down the road, or move.
Most of them are retired and packed up and left extending a big middle finger to Calif.
Many people, who are locked into a job and a future pension, are stuck in Calif. Many of those just hide their guns and hope for the best until they can leave.
The law makers and Gov. in Calif. are a bunch of liberals asswipes!

All true. Sad state of affairs in Calif., when emotion and stupidity overrule logic and common sense.

gun control is mainly a weapon used by the left against the right in the cultural war that is tearing the USA apart

Back
Top Bottom