• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GoFundMe to support government workers

There are lots of charities to donate to in order to help our Federal employees, I would be concerned giving my cash to that website.

There are lots of charities to donate to in order to help our Federal employees, I would be concerned giving my cash to that website.

Yeah, after the Trump wall scam can't say I blame you.

Lots of food banks one can donate money or time to help these folks. Go fund me has seen lots of scammers recently.

Not surprised by the sum raised; I'm more surprised that it's not far more than it is.

A "grass roots" flyer went around asking folks to buy gift cards or prepaid debit cards. On the 14th, I bought four $1500 prepaid debit cards and gave one each to the G-men I see on my morning run. I know that's not a lot of money, but hopefully it'll help, and more hopefully, the damn shutdown will end soon.

I don't mind helping the guys. What I do mind is that this POTUS has created and perpetuated a situation that calls for me to need to do so.

Not surprised by the sum raised; I'm more surprised that it's not far more than it is.

A "grass roots" flyer went around asking folks to buy gift cards or prepaid debit cards. On the 14th, I bought four $1500 prepaid debit cards and gave one each to the G-men I see on my morning run. I know that's not a lot of money, but hopefully it'll help, and more hopefully, the damn shutdown will end soon.

I don't mind helping the guys. What I do mind is that this POTUS has created and perpetuated a situation that calls for me to need to do so.

I feel the same way and did something similar in a smaller amount to TSA workers when I was flying last week.

I really don't know how these things work but really one of the things they probably need the most would be gas cards.

If their working for free they need to get to work...

I really don't know how these things work but really one of the things they probably need the most would be gas cards.

If their working for free they need to get to work...

I'm sure for many of the unpaid workers, outlays for transportation -- be it putting gas in a government provided vehicle, money for public transit, money to fuel and maintain their own vehicle -- comprise a material portion of the challenges they're facing from not being paid.

I know the guys I see are in/use gov't vehicles. I don't know what be the fueling arrangements associated with using those vehicles. Do they get gas at a gov't depot? Do they buy gas at regular gas stations? I really don't know. I suspect they don't maintain them as you and I do; however, I'm not of a mind to find out that detail. If you or some other member cares to obtain those details, I'd hazard the content of one or several of the fleet-/pool vehicle management documents found here contains them.

Aside:
Don't forget to include in your running tabulation of gifts (or informing your accountant about) whatever sums you directly donate to individual government workers or to organizations that aren't excluded from being classified as gift recipients.

Back
Top Bottom