• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God will save us from climate change: U.S. Representative

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
God will save us from climate change: U.S. Representative

U.S. Representative John Shimkus, possible future chairman of the Congressional committee that deals with energy and its attendant environmental concerns, believes that climate change should not concern us since God has already promised not to destroy the Earth.

Shimkus, an evangelical Christian and a Republican member of the House from Illinois, on Tuesday signalled his desire to become chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The Energy and Commerce committee is among the most powerful in the U.S. Congress, with a wide-ranging purview over legislation touching on energy policy, environmental initiatives and public health.

Shimkus already serves on the committee. During a hearing in 2009, he dismissed the dangers of climate change and the warnings of the scientific community by quoting the Bible.

First, he noted God’s post-Flood promise to Noah in Genesis 8:21-22.

“Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though all inclinations of his heart are evil from childhood and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

“As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease.”

“I believe that’s the infallible word of God, and that’s the way it’s going to be for his creation,” Shimkus said.

Is this ****er as dumb as they come?

Are the teabaggers having a contest to see who can say the dumbest thing?

Anyone who is capable of deluding themselves into believing that thousand year old superstitions and a collection of ancient fairy tales is enough to discount any amount of scientific data should not be in any sort of position of power. Especially when such a position requires that one act on such data.

What next, chicken entrails?
The failure here may be poor science education. For instance, if asked, a lot of folks would answer "thermometer" to the question "What device is used for measuring heat?". It seems that a substantial proportion also don't know what is meant by "the latent of fusion" and how it relates to the disappearance of glaciers. When we had snowstorms in mid February, Sean Hannity and others ridiculed science, not understanding that these snowstorms released an enormous amount of heat over the north American continent.
Unfortunately, whats next may be "The Rapture" or something.

Oh no no.
he doesn't want to *save* us - he wants to usher the end in because I think he's tired of waiting around to come.
I think you men can relate.

Seriously, though - religious people confuse me.
Whenever a disaster happens: earthquake, hurricane, etc - they pray to God for help and strength. But at the same time they'll attribute all of our earthly happenings to God and they'll emphasize that God doesn't interfere with our lives - though, at the same time, prayers and other actions show that they feel he might. . . and some, apparently, think he'll save us from something that they believe we created.

Does any of that make any freaking sense?

I tell you what - he didn't save the dinosaurs. :shrug:

Last edited:
Anyone who is capable of deluding themselves into believing that thousand year old superstitions and a collection of ancient fairy tales is enough to discount any amount of scientific data should not be in any sort of position of power. Especially when such a position requires that one act on such data.
Anyone who thinks cap and trade is going to change the climate is deluding themselves. The only climate it will change is the climate of doing business in America and not for the better.
Yes, if you take his words out of context, he sounds like a nut.
The people who sound like nuts to me are those who have fallen for the idea that co2 is a pollutant.

His views are no more ludicrous than those of environmental extremists who talk about Gaia as if the Earth were some kind of sentient goddess....

He believes what he believes. He was elected to office. Don't like it? Elect someone else next time.

His views are no more ludicrous than those of environmental extremists who talk about Gaia as if the Earth were some kind of sentient goddess...

When has one of these people every occupied public office and made their views public? Also, unfortunately his views are more mainstream than those of environmental extremists but equally ludicrous.

The verses only say that heat and cold will exist, not that they would be at degrees to sustain human existence.
He also only said that he would not destroy it by flood, no reference as to what humans would do to it.

I believe this planet will exist long after humans are extinct.

The verses only say that heat and cold will exist, not that they would be at degrees to sustain human existence.
He also only said that he would not destroy it by flood, no reference as to what humans would do to it.

I believe this planet will exist long after humans are extinct.

Well sure its going to exist until the sun swells up and consumes it.

When has one of these people every occupied public office and made their views public? Also, unfortunately his views are more mainstream than those of environmental extremists but equally ludicrous.

As he said at the beginning of the clip, The right to free speech is a great right that we have.
The content and who he was speaking to made his comments totally appropriate, though somewhat rare.

His views are no more ludicrous than those of environmental extremists who talk about Gaia as if the Earth were some kind of sentient goddess....

He believes what he believes. He was elected to office. Don't like it? Elect someone else next time.

I think what the OP is pointing out, by implication, is that Illinoians ought to do precisely that. Elect someone else, because they elected a crackpot this time.

I think what the OP is pointing out, by implication, is that Illinoians ought to do precisely that. Elect someone else, because they elected a crackpot this time.

I think he was elected in 1997.

I think he was elected in 1997.

What is your point? Who cares if he has been there since even 1950. He would still be a crackpot.

He is a crackpot because he adopts a very simplistic interpretation of a biblical concept and utilizes that concept when considering science matters and governmental policy.

Back
Top Bottom