• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God is Dead

c0ifdNDt.jpg

William James (1842–1910)

"Religion must be considered vindicated in a certain way from the attacks of her critics. It would seem that she cannot be a mere anachronism and survival, but must exert a permanent function, whether she be with or without intellectual content, and whether, if she have any, it be true or false.

We must next pass beyond the point of view of merely subjective utility, and make inquiry into the intellectual content itself.

First, is there, under all the discrepancies of the creeds, a common nucleus to which they bear their testimony unanimously?
And second, ought we to consider the testimony true?

I will take up the first question first, and answer it immediately in the affirmative. The warring gods and formulas of the various religions do indeed cancel each other, but there is a certain uniform deliverance in which religions all appear to meet. It consists of two parts: —
1. An uneasiness; and
2. Its solution.

1. The uneasiness, reduced to its simplest terms, is a sense that there is something wrong about us as we naturally stand.
2. The solution is a sense that we are saved from the wrongness by making proper connection with the higher powers."

The Varieties of Religious Experience (1902)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/William_James

Quoting...

" "Religion must be considered vindicated in a certain way from the attacks of her critics... "

No matter how many times religion is attacked she will prevail.
So as they say " Hit me(religion) with your best shot."

If you understand how the brain physically creates memory, you can understand the basis for many religious claims. Many religious claims were inferred through self observation over the millennia; inner voice.

When memory is created, emotional tags are added to the memory. This tagging and writing process is done by aspects of the limbic system located in the core of the brain. The tags are added to memory, before it is written to the cerebral matter. The result is our memory has both sensory content as well as emotional tagging. For example, if we eat a new food and we like, we will remember that food, along with the nice feelings attached to it. This feeling tag is useful to an animal, since if he sees this food again, the feeling will reappear, and he can act on the feeling, without having to think. Our strongest memories have the strongest emotional tags; wedding, graduation, car accident, glory days, etc., If one triggers the feelings of any of those times, with any cue, and entire memory content can play back. It is a practical design.

That being said, there is a unique form of cultural memory, that plays games with the natural memory writing process. This anomalous aspect of memory writing is connected to the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil. Knowledge of good and evil is called law. A law has knowledge of both the good/right/acceptable behavior and the evil/wrong/unacceptable behavior, at the same time. The law tells us what to avoid so we can avoid punishment. It also points out the behavior needed for rest, peace and social acceptability.

The problem is, these two extreme feelings, implicit of law memories, are mutually exclusive in terms of the writing process. We can't feel afraid and peaceful at the same time, since the feeling tags are mutually exclusive. Try this at home. Think of a scary thing and try to be restful. One can only do one or the other. The net result is the brain divides the law memories into two separate storage locations. It tags and stores all the good side memories of law in one location. It then tags and stores all the negative side memories in a separate location. The two storage areas can work together, as the law, but they are not stored in the brain with one set of tags.

The traditions of heaven and hell, being in two locations, is a projection of this memory tag division created by law. All the negative sides of all laws have a fear, anger, and pain attachment. In traditions, the consolidation of evil and its associated emotions, is how hell is described. Heaven has all the good sides of the law ad the attached feelings of love, rest and peace.

Our law memory is like a coin, where it has heads and tails, but we can only see one side at a time. The conscious mind can only focus on one side of the coin at a time. For example, the self righteous will try to do good, which means make only the good side of the law memory conscious. He will try to repress the negative storage area. The result is the unconscious mind gains control over the dark side law memory storage. The result can be compulsions forming within the self righteous; chase hookers, as the brain attempts to bridge the divide and lower the unconscious potential.

The ancient spiritual leaders were aware of this in terms of behavior and human nature. Jesus, made a major break through when he preached doing away with the law. This is often interpreted as him doing away with the Old Testament; old dispensation being fulfilled. But in reality Jesus was talking about all of law. If you get rid of law, the memory writing anomaly goes away.

Living by faith is different from living by law. For example, in a new situation, you are like an animal smelling a potential new food. You try it and react naturally and allow the brain to place a natural tag to this day. It is not two tags due to law, but one natural tag, than can change with time; stages of life. You never become internally polarized via law. Jesus was way ahead of his time, since this teaching would have a basis in brain science 2000 years later.

As a practical example, consider the new laws of PC. There are many buzz words that are taboo. Your brain will store the PC law memories in two separate locations; heaven and hell of PC. You try to live by the good side in terms of good PC. This does not create lasting inner peace but often amplifies the knit picking and self righteous anger. The unconscious mind uses the reprised dark side and makes one over sensitive. The unconscious is trying to remove the potential by making one conscious of the divide.

A better way is to gradually remove law, down toward a minimum until the divide in healed. Jesus would say love your enemy; tag the fear and anger, with love, so the memory merges again, like in paradise.

Last edited:
I too am genuinely interested in an answer to what I value as an important question.

"if you believe some parts of the Bible as Literal and some as Metaphorical, how do you know what to believe ? How do you know if anything is true?"

Honestly, not here to fling any mud. Just interested in hearing your side of the argument. :)

Check out www.jw.org. All of "her" answers are there.

Why aren't we hearing anything new from G.K. Chesterton and William James? What happened to them?

I too am genuinely interested in an answer to what I value as an important question.

"if you believe some parts of the Bible as Literal and some as Metaphorical, how do you know what to believe ? How do you know if anything is true?"

Honestly, not here to fling any mud. Just interested in hearing your side of the argument. :)

Through years of study, not just reading the Bible, as many seem to do...there is much to be discerned under the surface...I am always learning something new...apparent contradictions disappear...doctrines once difficult appear more clear and easier to understand...learning never stops...

Through years of study, not just reading the Bible, as many seem to do...there is much to be discerned under the surface...I am always learning something new...apparent contradictions disappear...doctrines once difficult appear more clear and easier to understand...learning never stops...

If you learned all this on your own why do you link to jw.org and follow by rote all jw biblical interpretations? Are you actually learning or being told?

But aren't your personal interpretations just that, personal ? How can you know for sure what you've discerned under the surface to be the absolute truth ?

But aren't your personal interpretations just that, personal ? How can you know for sure what you've discerned under the surface to be the absolute truth ?

She consults the jw handbook.

You can't. There's so many interpretations of the Bible's words.

You can't. There's so many interpretations of the Bible's words.

That's also my logical conclusion. However, perhaps the general spiritual meaning and undertones of the Bible are enough to follow God's way ? Perhaps the mere fact of pouring over the words, studying, and bringing Christ in your heart is enough to be a true believer ? I'm trying to get the believer's perspective. If, of course, one can admit that if the Bible can be interpreted, therefore it's not objectively true. Making the entire religion subjective.

Well, let's put it this way, when I attended numerous different churches in my youth, nothing I was hearing made sense...numerous seemingly contradictions throughout the Bible, not to mention difficult to understand doctrines that made God sound unloving and merciless...just another contradiction to deal with...the more I heard, the more questions I had...

I began to study the Bible with a dear JW who was very patient with me...the more I learned, the more I wanted to learn...the more I studied, the more I wanted to study...questions I had asked for years to different clergy, including my own grandmother on my dad's side and my grandfather on my mother's side, had been answered...after 5 years of studying, I said, "this is it, I have found the truth" and I never looked back...that was 42 years ago...

Well, let's put it this way, when I attended numerous different churches in my youth, nothing I was hearing made sense...numerous seemingly contradictions throughout the Bible, not to mention difficult to understand doctrines that made God sound unloving and merciless...just another contradiction to deal with...the more I heard, the more questions I had...

I began to study the Bible with a dear JW who was very patient with me...the more I learned, the more I wanted to learn...the more I studied, the more I wanted to study...questions I had asked for years to different clergy, including my own grandmother on my dad's side and my grandfather on my mother's side, had been answered...after 5 years of studying, I said, "this is it, I have found the truth" and I never looked back...that was 42 years ago...

You discovered on your own that it was the truth ? How can you be sure it was the truth ?
When you discuss with other JW's or members of the clergy, do you have disagreements ? For instance, if your Catholic, there must be some verses where you disagree with Presbyterians. How does one know who is right ? Is it merely a matter of who studied more ?

You discovered on your own that it was the truth ? How can you be sure it was the truth ?
When you discuss with other JW's or members of the clergy, do you have disagreements ? For instance, if your Catholic, there must be some verses where you disagree with Presbyterians. How does one know who is right ? Is it merely a matter of who studied more ?

Because what I learned made sense for the first time in my life...and no, you will not find a JW anywhere in the world who believes anything in the Bible differently than another...we speak as one...just as the Bible says...you will not find such unity anywhere else on earth...that unity is bound together by love...

"so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me. I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one." John 17:21,22

"But speaking the truth, let us by love grow up in all things into him who is the head, Christ. From him all the body is harmoniously joined together and made to cooperate through every joint that gives what is needed. When each respective member functions properly, this contributes to the growth of the body as it builds itself up in love." Eph. 4:15,16

I will when she presents an original argument.
Now that you bring it up, where is devildavid's "original argument"?
Reductive materialism is an old and feeble argument; so you cannot claim reductive materialism as original.
Now that, absent anything original to offer, you are reduced to gadfly posts, we await, over and above your barbed one-liners, something interestingly unoriginal from you.

Namaste.

Now that you bring it up, where is devildavid's "original argument"?
Reductive materialism is an old and feeble argument; so you cannot claim reductive materialism as original.
Now that, absent anything original to offer, you are reduced to gadfly posts, we await, over and above your barbed one-liners, something interestingly unoriginal from you.

Namaste.

I have presented all original posts. No bible quotes or quotes and pictures of my favorite thinkers, no YouTube videos. I am not a reductive materialist, that is your disparaging label for me. I present facts and evidence, not a bunch of words claiming to be true. Still waiting for your evidence. Still waiting for your mind to contact mine by non physical means. Still waiting for you answer as to what providence did in 2016 in American history.

I will when she presents an original argument.

Original argument...lol...surely you know..."there is nothing new under the sun"...not even yours...

Just can't help yourself, can you?

"The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom, And knowledge of the Most Holy One is understanding." Pro. 9:10

Original argument...lol...surely you know..."there is nothing new under the sun"...not even yours...

There are things known as presenting the argument in your own words, with your own understanding, verses cut/pasting a web sites reply without demonstrating any understanding of that actually means, or being able to support that websites opinion with your own words in insight.

Back
Top Bottom