• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOD HIMSELF will be with them[W;105]

Isaiah 40
8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Mark 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Isaiah 40
8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Mark 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Can you point out the bible verse that unequivocally states that Jesus is God?

Can you point out the bible verse that unequivocally states that Jesus is God?

Review the whole 10 pages!
Some do say so......................................unequivocally.

Review the whole 10 pages!
Some do say so......................................unequivocally.
No. Just give me chapter and verse. I know you can't because that verse doesn't exist

No. Just give me chapter and verse. I know you can't because that verse doesn't exist

I'm not obligated to pander to you.

If you're interested....................................................READ!

You couldn't anyways. Like I said, no such verse exists in the Bible

That's an irrational responses. Why?

Here is the most recent recap of Scriptural verses - not counting the ones lately added. This has to be split in two posts due to word count. SEE? The evidence is that long! :)

RECAP: the following have been given as evidence to show Jesus is God Himself, and the truth of the Triune God:

OP: Rev 21:3 (The title, Alpha and Omega; God and the Lamb)

Post #2 - Isaiah 45 compare with Luke 2:11, Romans 10:9, 1 Cor 8:6

Post #3 – compare Isaiah 45 with John 5:39

Post #4 – Isaiah 44:6 compare with Rev 1: 17-18, Rev 2:8

Post #5 – Isaiah 9:6

Post #6 - Isaiah 44:24 compare with John 1:3, Colossians 1:15-16

Post #7 - Colossians 1:15, John 4:24 (The invisible God becomes visible thru Jesus Christ)

Post #8 - John 1:1-3

Post #9 - John 8 tied to Isaiah 42:8

Post #10 - John 10 – how Jews understood who Jesus claimed Himself to be.

Post #11 – John 14:9 tightly tied with Colossians 1:15

Post #12 – 1 Timothy 3 :16, Philippians 2: 5-7, and Titus 2 13-14 (also tied to Post #11)

Post #13 – Hebrews 1:8-9

Post #14 - Genesis 17:17 compare with Rev 1:7-8

Post #15 - Isaiah 33:22 compare with John 14, Rev 22:12-13, James 4:12, Isaiah 40:10

Post #16 – Concept of The TRIUNE GOD (Trinity) first introduced on the very first statement in the Bible.

Post #17 – Genesis 1:1 compare with John 1:1-2

Post #18 – Why “The Word?”

Post #19 - The Spirit in Genesis 1

Post #20 – again.......Why “The Word?”

Post #21 - God is the only One who can forgive, and yet..... Mark 2:2-8, Luke 7:41-49

Post #22 - Jesus forgives as GOD HIMSELF! Mark 2:5

Post #24 - Another evidence for the TRIUNE God. Genesis 3:22

Post #25 - Genesis 11:6-7

Post #26 - Doubting Thomas recognizes God, John 20:24-29

Post #31 - CHRISTOPHANY, pre-incarnate Christ in the Old Testament, Exodus 3:1-6

Post #32 – Christophany in Judges 13

Post #34 - “I AM.” The “I Am” of Jesus Christianity compare Exodus 3:13-14 with John 8:58

Post #38 - IF God is a loving God......

Post #45 - An absolute Monotheistic statement by Jesus John 2:18-19. Also Deuteronomy 32:39

Post #46 – Jesus reverses the curse that God said no one can!

Post #48 – A rebuttal: IF Jesus is not God.....

Post#58 - Mark 2 revisited

Post #59 - God/Jesus, Redeemer and Saviour

Post #60 - The ultimate Authority Matthew 28:18

Post #62 – The Lord of the Sabbath

Post #63 – Jesus is referred to as God, Titus 2:11-14

Post #64 - Jesus is no angel! He is declared GOD! Hebrews 1:6-12, Hebrews 13:8-9

Post #65 - The Triune God, 1 Peter 1:2

Post #66 - The Triune God, Romans 8: 9-11 ***Lol! Thanks to Elvira – how ironic is that?

Post #67 - 1 Cor 2

Post #68 – John 10 gives a deep explanation

Post #69 - IF God is a living God (again).......a clearer picture.

Post #70 - Invitation to the Thirsty – compare Isaiah 55 with John 4.

Post #72 - The New Testament – we can't have it both ways!

Post #73 - John 1: 18 (Triune God)

Post #74 - The Groom and His bride

Post #78 - One True Shepherd – monotheistic statements by God (Brett McBride video)

Post #79 – Genesis 1 revisited: explanation/comparison with John 1

Post #80 – Human Sacrifice

Post #81 - The Voice of God (credit to Spartan)

Post #82 - First 3 sentences of Romans 8 about Jesus and the Spirit as One. (credit to Aimiel)

Post #86 - Matt: 28:19 (credit to it's just me)

Post #104 - Job 19:25
(credit to Logicman)

Post #108 – Philippians 2

Post #109 - Acts 20 – The Trinity

Post #111 – If Jesus is not God....

Post #113 – Immanuel – supported by John 1, Luke 1, and Matthew 1.

Post #114 - Isaiah 40:3 (credit to Jerry Shugart)

Post #115 – Facsimile! Hebrews 1:3 ***Lol! Thanks to Elvira – how ironic is that?

Post #119 - Still on facsimile.

Post #120 – On the matter of the Thief crucified with Jesus. ***Lol! Thanks to Elvira – how ironic is that?

Post #126 – John 14 – The TRINITY! ***Lol! Thanks to Elvira – how ironic is that?

Post #127 – Matthew 12 - spoken as God!

Post #128 - Collosians 2 – stating it plainly!

Post #129 - A line from Isaiah 45 nags at me!

Post #131 – Colossians 1 – another explanation!

Post #132 - Christophany! Hagar rocognizes God in the pre-incarnate Christ!

Post #133 – Precedence: God appears as a man – Genesis 18, Genesis 32

Post #135 - Going back to Hagar, in comparison with Thomas

Post #138 – Rebuttal: can't be mere expressions

Post #142 – Rebuttal

Post $145 – Rebuttal

Post #147, #148 – John 1, Romans 8 (Triune God), Matthew 10: Evidence and explanation why Jesus, God and the Spirit are so intertwined

Post #155 – An example why Jesus has got to be God: Elvira falls into the trap

Post #156 – The Power to Rebuke the devil

Post #157 – Titus 2 (God's appearance, Saviour and Redeemer)

Post #159 - In their language and lingo of the time – Jews understood that Jesus was claiming to be God Himself! That's the blasphemy!

Post #160 – Comparison between Deuteronomy 32 with John 10

Post #163 - Why Jesus Has Got To Be God (Thanks to Elvira)

Post #165 - Why Jesus is Perfect.

Post #166 - Taking the thief to paradise - supporting the Triune God (thanks to Elvira)

Post #171 - John 6 shows the Triune God (thanks to Elvira)

#184 - Video

#185 – Raising the dead.

#186, #187, #188, #189 - Jesus takes credit and God's glory (thanks to Elvira)

#190 Rev 5. The Lamb is worshipped. (thanks to Elvira)

#191 Jesus is God/Holy Spirit (thanks to Overitall)

#208, #209 Jesus is God (thanks to Overitall)

#210 – The Holy Spirit is God (thanks to Overitall)

With all those verses I have given you........
What have you got that UNEQUIVOCALLY SAYS.......................................... JESUS IS NOT GOD IN HUMAN FORM?

You couldn't anyways. Like I said, no such verse exists in the Bible

....because, you don't know how to look. You don't know how to connect the dots.
You think reading the Bible is like reading Dick and Jane.

What have you got that UNEQUIVOCALLY SAYS.......................................... JESUS IS NOT GOD IN HUMAN FORM?

Post #147, #148 – John 1, Romans 8 (Triune God), Matthew 10: Evidence and explanation why Jesus, God and the Spirit are so intertwined

Post #155 – An example why Jesus has got to be God: Elvira falls into the trap

Post #156 – The Power to Rebuke the devil

Post #157 – Titus 2 (God's appearance, Saviour and Redeemer)

Post #159 - In their language and lingo of the time – Jews understood that Jesus was claiming to be God Himself! That's the blasphemy!

Post #160 – Comparison between Deuteronomy 32 with John 10

Post #163 - Why Jesus Has Got To Be God (Thanks to Elvira)

Post #165 - Why Jesus is Perfect.

Post #166 - Taking the thief to paradise - supporting the Triune God (thanks to Elvira)

Post #171 - John 6 shows the Triune God (thanks to Elvira)

#184 - Video

#185 – Raising the dead.

#186, #187, #188, #189 - Jesus takes credit and God's glory (thanks to Elvira)

#190 Rev 5. The Lamb is worshipped. (thanks to Elvira)

#191 Jesus is God/Holy Spirit (thanks to Overitall)

#208, #209 Jesus is God (thanks to Overitall)

#210 – The Holy Spirit is God (thanks to Overitall)

With all those verses I have given you........
I don't have to prove a negative. There is no verse in the bible that calls Jesus God.
You make extraordinary claims, you need to bring extraordinary evidence.

If you want Jesus to be God you have to start a new man-made religion like Mormonism and Scientology
....because, you don't know how to look. You don't know how to connect the dots.

You make extraordinary claims that are not supported by the Bible.

I don't have to prove a negative. There is no verse in the bible that calls Jesus God.

If you want Jesus to be God you have to start a new man-made religion like Mormonism and Scientology

Shoooooo.
What "negative" are you on about when I'd given you evidences? :ROFLMAO:

"Negative" my foot! Clearly, you're spouting something you hardly understand.
Anyway, this isn't the section to get into a debate............................ESPECIALLY, WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN ANSWER A SIMPLE QUESTION.

Like as if this question isn't applicable to you after all those verses given to you!

It's only freakin' "negative" if you can't freakin read!
Bye-bye.

Last edited:

Shoooooo.
What "negative" are you on about when I'd given you evidences? :ROFLMAO:

"Negative" my foot! Clearly, you're spouting something you hardly understand.
Anyway, this isn't the section to get into a debate............................ESPECIALLY, WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN ANSWER A SIMPLE QUESTION.

Bye-bye.
You have not shown evidence - that would be a verse that spells it out in plain English.
It's like you asking me to prove that Unicorns don't exist. That's just not how it works. You made an extraordinary claim and all you got is carpet bombing me with verses that supposedly "connect the dots"

It's like some Christians claim that the founding fathers wanted America to be a Christian nation and just forgot to write it down

Last edited:
Thanks to Elora for this, regarding man and wife being one flesh:

More than just being in agreement - after all, how can one disagree with His own Self? :)

That's a good point you give- to support the fact that God and Jesus are one.

Husband and wives - created in the image of God - being one flesh, is an imitation of God.

God created Adam in His own image. Male and Female He created them.
Kinda takes that emphasis on creating in His OWN image to a whole new level.

Genesis 1
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Ephesians 5

5 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

God and Jesus = ONE FLESH.

God and Jesus are ONE.

Ephesians 5
1 Therefore be
imitators of God as dear children.

1 Peter 2:21
For to this you have been called, because
Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

Romans 8:29
For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be
conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn
among many brother

1 John 3:2
Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him,

because we shall see him as he is.

The Trinity

Titus 3:1-8
Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

2 Cor 3:18
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from

one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

For an Orthodox perspective--while Holy Scripture is incredibly important, I am curious why someone would be so hung up on whether the scripture clearly states "Jesus is God" or not.

Christians as a community are united, if in anything, in the worship of Christ, God the Son who is God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. Christianity was never intended to be the worship of a book. The book is not the basis for our religion, the basis for our religion are the actual events that happened 2000 years ago in which God manifested on Earth as a human in the flesh, and lived as a human, died, and then was resurrected. Jesus in his time on earth drew in followers--some of whom we call the Apostles, the Apostles founded the Church around the Mediterranean. The true church, that was founded at Pentecost, is the prime source of our religion. Not a book. In talking with Protestants, I often find this viewpoint is shocking--but please remember, the book just was not important in day to day worship for much of Christianity's history. Holy scripture as we understand it was not finished being written for 100-150 after the time Jesus died on earth, and not until Saint Athanasius, Patriarch of Alexandria lived, did we have the 27 book New Testament canon established clearly.

There is an important reason for this. When Jesus lived, he did not summon a book from heaven and give it to us. What he did do, during his lifetime, was establish a Church at Pentecost. The men who took that church and continued that church setup the Christian communities across Asia Minor, the Levant, North Africa, Italy etc. These are the inheritors of Christ's church. We have holy scripture today because of the Church these men continued, continued under the practices and divine guidance they were bequeathed while Christ was physically present on earth. The men who wrote the books of the scripture were simply members of this community. Many books were written, not all 27 became part of canon. Saint Athanasius was not a tyrant or a pretend-God, he was a man. He laid out solid theological reason for the 27 canonical books of the New Testament to be included in scripture, but by himself that meant nothing. What is important is the leaders of all the other Christian churches met and discussed it, and ultimately agreed with his reasoning.

Christ's time on earth is the foundation of our religion. To our knowledge, Christ never wrote a single word.

For roughly one thousand years after the 27 books of canon were established, Christians largely remained ignorant of the bible. In many places of worship there may not even be a physical bible, as bound books were rare and expensive. The trained priests would be familiar with scripture, but might only have portions of it in scroll form, used in readings during Church services. Larger and wealthier congregations may have had complete copies. As time rolled forward into the Middle Ages, bound books became somewhat more common than in early Christian times, but virtually no practicing Christian would have been literate, and almost all practicing Christians practiced the faith through divine liturgy, prayer, living life as Christians, and participating in Church. When Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press, it changed Christianity because it massively increased the availability of the bible. It also created a vein of thought that Christianity is defined by words that men like Gutenberg print on a page, and not by the actual events that scripture document.

Like most Orthodox Christians, I avoid the sin of expressing an opinion of whether someone who believes themselves a Christian is going to hell or anything like that. I also largely attempt to avoid labeling other Christian sects as heretical--although would note that historical teaching is that we acknowledge the possibility even heretics can find salvation, it is not for us to know how they will be judged. We have a problem with the Catholic church going back about a thousand years, at the time centered around the role of the Bishop of Rome, and how he was attempting to break the standard that went back one thousand years that holy synods in which Bishops met and hammered out rational discussions based on historical practice of the faith, was superseded by one Bishop claiming he had the authority to determine the precepts of God's church by himself. Protestants rejected the Pope but arguably they did so in a way that makes every individual Protestant their own Pope. That being said, at least early Protestantism was based in organized churches, followed liturgical norms and etc. The last two hundred years particularly of Christianity, especially in the United States, has devolved into what I do regard as heresy--widespread charismatic Protestantism that believes in the divinity of a book you bought for $8 at a store as being more important than what Chris did on earth and the Church he directly founded.

For an Orthodox perspective--while Holy Scripture is incredibly important, I am curious why someone would be so hung up on whether the scripture clearly states "Jesus is God" or not.

It's not about "being hung up."
It depends on why you are in a forum. Some of us are doing our share of apologetics, in providing light on some false teachings that are meant to mislead others who are truly searching, who are being confused by demonic teachings.

Christians as a community are united, if in anything, in the worship of Christ, God the Son who is God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. Christianity was never intended to be the worship of a book. The book is not the basis for our religion, the basis for our religion are the actual events that happened 2000 years ago in which God manifested on Earth as a human in the flesh, and lived as a human, died, and then was resurrected.

This isn't about worship of a Book. This is the use of the Book of God as the ULTIMATE REFERENCE. for discussion, etc.,

What is the Bible for?
Why did God have to have this Book for us?

Ultimately - all the information you got about Christ and salvation, came from the Bible, right?
If not - where did you get your information?

Jesus in his time on earth drew in followers--some of whom we call the Apostles, the Apostles founded the Church around the Mediterranean. The true church, that was founded at Pentecost, is the prime source of our religion. Not a book. In talking with Protestants, I often find this viewpoint is shocking--but please remember, the book just was not important in day to day worship for much of Christianity's history. Holy scripture as we understand it was not finished being written for 100-150 after the time Jesus died on earth, and not until Saint Athanasius, Patriarch of Alexandria lived, did we have the 27 book New Testament canon established clearly.

How do you know all that?
Who told you?

There is an important reason for this. When Jesus lived, he did not summon a book from heaven and give it to us. What he did do, during his lifetime, was establish a Church at Pentecost. The men who took that church and continued that church setup the Christian communities across Asia Minor, the Levant, North Africa, Italy etc. These are the inheritors of Christ's church. We have holy scripture today because of the Church these men continued, continued under the practices and divine guidance they were bequeathed while Christ was physically present on earth. The men who wrote the books of the scripture were simply members of this community. Many books were written, not all 27 became part of canon. Saint Athanasius was not a tyrant or a pretend-God, he was a man. He laid out solid theological reason for the 27 canonical books of the New Testament to be included in scripture, but by himself that meant nothing. What is important is the leaders of all the other Christian churches met and discussed it, and ultimately agreed with his reasoning.

Who told you all that?

Christ's time on earth is the foundation of our religion. To our knowledge, Christ never wrote a single word.
Yes, indeed Christ is the foundation of Christianity, ALONG with the OLD TESTAMENT.

There wouldn't have been a needed Messiah to save the world if sin had not entered into the world,
and there wouldn't have been what we call, Christianity.

We cannot separate ourselves from our HISTORY!

...Christ did not write a book......but He quoted from the Scriptures in most of His debate with His detractors.
And the story of His life has been added to it as the continuation.

For roughly one thousand years after the 27 books of canon were established, Christians largely remained ignorant of the bible. In many places of worship there may not even be a physical bible, as bound books were rare and expensive. The trained priests would be familiar with scripture, but might only have portions of it in scroll form, used in readings during Church services. Larger and wealthier congregations may have had complete copies. As time rolled forward into the Middle Ages, bound books became somewhat more common than in early Christian times, but virtually no practicing Christian would have been literate, and almost all practicing Christians practiced the faith through divine liturgy, prayer, living life as Christians, and participating in Church. When Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press, it changed Christianity because it massively increased the availability of the bible. It also created a vein of thought that Christianity is defined by words that men like Gutenberg print on a page, and not by the actual events that scripture document.

They were not all ignorant!
Someone has got to have had first-hand knowledge to the info.....otherwise, what do you believe in? Fairy tale?
Before it was written, it was given VERBALLY!

Like most Orthodox Christians, I avoid the sin of expressing an opinion of whether someone who believes themselves a Christian is going to hell or anything like that. I also largely attempt to avoid labeling other Christian sects as heretical--although would note that historical teaching is that we acknowledge the possibility even heretics can find salvation, it is not for us to know how they will be judged. We have a problem with the Catholic church going back about a thousand years, at the time centered around the role of the Bishop of Rome, and how he was attempting to break the standard that went back one thousand years that holy synods in which Bishops met and hammered out rational discussions based on historical practice of the faith, was superseded by one Bishop claiming he had the authority to determine the precepts of God's church by himself. Protestants rejected the Pope but arguably they did so in a way that makes every individual Protestant their own Pope. That being said, at least early Protestantism was based in organized churches, followed liturgical norms and etc. The last two hundred years particularly of Christianity, especially in the United States, has devolved into what I do regard as heresy--widespread charismatic Protestantism that believes in the divinity of a book you bought for $8 at a store as being more important than what Chris did on earth and the Church he directly founded.

That is you. You do your thing your own way.

But......spreading the gospel entails giving ALL the teachings that Christ had taught the disciples!

Matthew 28
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always,
to the very end of the age.”

What happens if we don't obey?
We cannot censor and avoid giving THE CONDITIONS that are required......and THE CONSEQUENCE for disobedience and rejecting God.

What's the point of spreading the Word and all talks about salvation when you leave out the equally important info?

John 14
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

There is no other mediator. Only Christ.

Here is why we are our own "pope." And also, we come full circle why we have the Bible as The Official REFERENCE.

Again, the Bible teaches that it is Scripture that is to be used as measuring stick to determine truth from error.
In Galatians 1:8-9, Paul states that it is not WHO teaches but WHAT is being taught that is to be used to determine truth from error.

While the Roman Catholic Church continues to pronounce a curse to hell, or “anathema,” upon those who would reject
the authority of the pope, Scripture reserves that curse for those who would teach a different gospel (Galatians 1:8-9).

If you wish to pursue this discussion, please create your own thread for it. I'll meet you there.
This thread is devoted to evidences found in the Bible about the Trinity and Jesus is God in human form (One and the Same).
Cheers.

Last edited:
Very common saying.

The "holy spirit" is in each born again Christian. That doesn't make any of them God, but it can be said that God is among us.

This isn't about worship of a Book. This is the use of the Book of God as the ULTIMATE REFERENCE. for discussion, etc.,
I do not come into discussions like this to denounce Protestantism, Catholicism or to try and "steal lambs" from other branches of Christianity. From a very technical viewpoint Orthodox Christians may view Catholics and Protestants as heretical, but we also have teachings that we follow that say that we cannot make assumptions about "how Christian" someone is who may be practicing in a heretical way.

But I often run into on the English language, particularly U.S. Internet, there is a broad assumption that every Christian believes in the Protestant "sola scriptura", or your holding that the scripture above all else determines matters of faith and morality. I know this is shocking to many Protestants, but your view is a new one--only around 500 years old, our view is 2000 years old. Our churches are not independent and did not spring up from charismatic preachers in the last few decades, our churches are 2000 years old. Our beliefs in Christ inherit a string of bishops and churches that go back to the Pentecost. I understand that for many Protestants, the idea that any Christian doesn't believe in sola scriptura is almost impossible to understand, but not only is it possible--we have been doing it for 2000 years. Remember for 1500 of those years the vast majority of our Christian brothers and sisters could not read at all, and would have no relationship with Christ if reading the bible was the only way to have such a relationship.
What is the Bible for?
Why did God have to have this Book for us?
This commentary is so Protestant, but it is my experience most Americans don't even realize this is a Protestant viewpoint--what makes the Bible important is it is the only written text that we as Christians believe was divinely inspired. That is what sets the 27 books of the New Testament and the books of the Old Testament apart from other writings. That means the bible is the most important text in Christianity.

But you also need to understand that the bible was created by the Church, the Church was not created by the bible. The Church did not settle on the bible's modern form until around 400 AD. It is worth noting that reading the bible is very important in our Orthodox church services, Protestants may be wondering if that is true based on what I said. But in the Orthodox church, we read the bible in church with an official reader for the day's service. We also always pray prior to reading the bible--that is how important reading the bible is to us, we pray for God to open our hearts and minds so we can properly understand holy scripture.
Ultimately - all the information you got about Christ and salvation, came from the Bible, right?
If not - where did you get your information?
The Church and the patristic writings of our early Church fathers (some of the same ones who created the bible in its final form) create a legacy that we have passed down for 2000 years. Orthodox Christians do not become Christian and learn about Christianity by sitting in a room with a bible. We learn about it by being raised in the Church and learning from Priests and deacons, who learned from Priests and deacons before them. This line goes back 2000 years to the Pentecost.
How do you know all that?
Who told you?

Who told you all that?
The Church. Some of it directly when I was raised in the Church, but some of it through Church writings--the bible is a divinely inspired Church writing, so some of it was absolutely learned from reading scripture. It is all of the Church, scripture is of the Church, not of man. It was written by early writers and organized by the early church. Without the church we would have no bible. Without God we would have no Church, these things are all linked.
Yes, indeed Christ is the foundation of Christianity, ALONG with the OLD TESTAMENT.
No--this is serious error. The foundation of Christianity is a worship of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. The bible is not the foundation of Christianity, the foundation of Christianity is God. The foundational moment of Christianity is when Christ was resurrected on the third day. The Bible is divinely inspired holy scripture, but it is not the foundation of the faith. A man who cannot read can still know God, but a man who can read but does not know God cannot be Christian. God is the faith, the bible is not.

This is a complicated topic, so I will respond to the rest of your points in a subsequent post.

I do not come into discussions like this to denounce Protestantism, Catholicism or to try and "steal lambs" from other branches of Christianity. From a very technical viewpoint Orthodox Christians may view Catholics and Protestants as heretical, but we also have teachings that we follow that say that we cannot make assumptions about "how Christian" someone is who may be practicing in a heretical way.

But I often run into on the English language, particularly U.S. Internet, there is a broad assumption that every Christian believes in the Protestant "sola scriptura", or your holding that the scripture above all else determines matters of faith and morality. I know this is shocking to many Protestants, but your view is a new one--only around 500 years old, our view is 2000 years old. Our churches are not independent and did not spring up from charismatic preachers in the last few decades, our churches are 2000 years old. Our beliefs in Christ inherit a string of bishops and churches that go back to the Pentecost. I understand that for many Protestants, the idea that any Christian doesn't believe in sola scriptura is almost impossible to understand, but not only is it possible--we have been doing it for 2000 years. Remember for 1500 of those years the vast majority of our Christian brothers and sisters could not read at all, and would have no relationship with Christ if reading the bible was the only way to have such a relationship.

This commentary is so Protestant, but it is my experience most Americans don't even realize this is a Protestant viewpoint--what makes the Bible important is it is the only written text that we as Christians believe was divinely inspired. That is what sets the 27 books of the New Testament and the books of the Old Testament apart from other writings. That means the bible is the most important text in Christianity.

But you also need to understand that the bible was created by the Church, the Church was not created by the bible. The Church did not settle on the bible's modern form until around 400 AD. It is worth noting that reading the bible is very important in our Orthodox church services, Protestants may be wondering if that is true based on what I said. But in the Orthodox church, we read the bible in church with an official reader for the day's service. We also always pray prior to reading the bible--that is how important reading the bible is to us, we pray for God to open our hearts and minds so we can properly understand holy scripture.

The Church and the patristic writings of our early Church fathers (some of the same ones who created the bible in its final form) create a legacy that we have passed down for 2000 years. Orthodox Christians do not become Christian and learn about Christianity by sitting in a room with a bible. We learn about it by being raised in the Church and learning from Priests and deacons, who learned from Priests and deacons before them. This line goes back 2000 years to the Pentecost.

The Church. Some of it directly when I was raised in the Church, but some of it through Church writings--the bible is a divinely inspired Church writing, so some of it was absolutely learned from reading scripture. It is all of the Church, scripture is of the Church, not of man. It was written by early writers and organized by the early church. Without the church we would have no bible. Without God we would have no Church, these things are all linked.

No--this is serious error. The foundation of Christianity is a worship of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. The bible is not the foundation of Christianity, the foundation of Christianity is God. The foundational moment of Christianity is when Christ was resurrected on the third day. The Bible is divinely inspired holy scripture, but it is not the foundation of the faith. A man who cannot read can still know God, but a man who can read but does not know God cannot be Christian. God is the faith, the bible is not.

This is a complicated topic, so I will respond to the rest of your points in a subsequent post.

What you claim are interesting, and I'd like to discuss........but, this isn't the thread for it.

As the OP stated:this thread will be for Scriptural verses (with explanations if needed, including cross-references with other verses), that clearly show Jesus and God are One and the Same.

Isaiah also prophesied:

Isaiah 54
“For your husband is your Maker,
Whose name is the Lord of hosts;
And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel,
Who is called the God of all the earth.

Which is supported by:

Hosea 2

16 “In that day,” declares the Lord,
“you will call me ‘my husband’;
you will no longer call me ‘my master.[d]’

19 And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy.

2 Corinthians 11
11 I hope you will put up with me in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me!

2 I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin
to him.

3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

Jesus and God are One.

Last edited:

John 10:30

John 10:30
And Jesus explains exactly the meaning of his words in the previous verses...they are unified in protecting their sheep and leading them to everlasting life...

Or “at unity.” Jesus’ comment here shows that he and his Father are unified in protecting sheeplike ones and leading them to everlasting life. Such shepherding is a joint task of the Father and the Son. They are equally concerned about the sheep, not allowing anyone to snatch them out of their hand. (Joh 10:27-29; compare Eze 34:23, 24.) In John’s Gospel, the unity in fellowship, will, and purpose between the Father and the Son is often mentioned. The Greek word here rendered “one” is, not in the masculine gender (denoting “one person”), but in the neuter gender (denoting “one thing”), supporting the thought that Jesus and his Father are “one” in action and cooperation, not in person. (Joh 5:19; 14:9, 23) That Jesus referred, not to an equality of godship, but to a oneness of purpose and action is confirmed by comparing the words recorded here with his prayer recorded in John chapter 17. (Joh 10:25-29; 17:2, 9-11) This is especially evident when he prays that his followers “may be one just as we are one.” (Joh 17:11) So the kind of oneness referred to in chapter 10 as well as in chapter 17 would be the same.—See study notes on Joh 17:11, 21; 1Co 3:8
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/43/10#s=30&study=discover

Back
Top Bottom