• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God Has No Place In Politics

I did not say that either, but I am still not worried. Bottom line is that going to the polls with nothing more than my God says so is not right, not in the US. Mind you it is not illegal nor should it be, but it still is not right.

I see, it's not wrong, it's just not right. I have no idea how anyone could ever argue with that logic.

I did not say that either, but I am still not worried. Bottom line is that going to the polls with nothing more than my God says so is not right, not in the US. Mind you it is not illegal nor should it be, but it still is not right.

It doesn't matter what you think is right. It matters what the person in the booth at the time does. I can vote for mickey mouse because he is my almighty God(he isn't) and I think he should be elected. I could vote for Jesus Christ too(he IS my God), but I don't think he would want to lead this hell hole.

EDIT: hehe...I think I made a pun.

So we can drop this idea that it's wrong for people to vote their faith. Good.

It's putting policies in place that enforce that faith on others that is the problem. Vote for whoever you want based on whatever criteria you want. But those officials' actions are constrained by the first amendment.

It's putting policies in place that enforce that faith on others that is the problem. Vote for whoever you want based on whatever criteria you want. But those officials' actions are constrained by the first amendment.

A pretty vague statement.

It doesn't matter what you think is right. It matters what the person in the booth at the time does. I can vote for mickey mouse because he is my almighty God(he isn't) and I think he should be elected. I could vote for Jesus Christ too(he IS my God), but I don't think he would want to lead this hell hole.

EDIT: hehe...I think I made a pun.
It seems you repeated what I said, is that because you agree or disagree?

-No sale of alcohol on Sundays in some states
-Illegality of abortion in some states
-Illegality of gay marriage in some states
-The drug war
-Excuse for abusing our military power (god's will and all that bull****)

All of these are influenced by religion. And I thought there was supposed to be a separation of church and state. Guess not. And it's all based on christianity too. If a school encouraged christian ideals, nobody would have a problem with it. And yet, if a school encourages Muslim ideals, an angry mob would burn it to the ground. And you all know it's true.

Only harms alcoholics who didn't stock up on Saturday.

Roe-v-Wade is in force in all 57 states. No exceptions.

And polygamy. And incest. and "minor-attracted" marriage. Your point?

-The drug war

D.A.R.E. is religious based?

I have yet to see "because God wills it" in any mission brief.

Last edited:

Roe-v-Wade is in force in all 57 states. No exceptions.

And polygamy. And incest. and "minor-attracted" marriage. Your point?

D.A.R.E. is religious based?

I have yet to see "because God wills it" in any mission brief.
Your comparing a feeling towards another human being to things that cause harm to human beings like incest? Wow, you've stooped to the lowest.

That actually harms anybody who wants to have a beer while watching football, but isn't an alcoholic. As a non-alcoholic, I just don't think of going to the liquor store most days, so there have been times where I missed my chance because my life doesn't revolve around alcohol. Interestingly, at least here in Minnesota, the restriction does not apply to bars and restaurants. Only liquor stores. It's an anti-business regulation. :lol:

Hmmm... I could get angry about this, but that wouldnt solve anything. By star-worshippers, do you mean astrologists, and why do you hate Athiests? Most Athiests are calm, caring, sensitive individuals. Most of the ones I have become aquainted with are no different than the average Christian other than that they don't go to church. Actually, I know an athiest that goes to church more often than most christians i meet.

Last edited:
-The drug war

All of these are influenced by religion. And I thought there was supposed to be a separation of church and state. Guess not. And it's all based on christianity too. If a school encouraged christian ideals, nobody would have a problem with it. And yet, if a school encourages Muslim ideals, an angry mob would burn it to the ground. And you all know it's true.

First of all, I agree with the point in the OP, but the metaphore is flawed. The Christian school is ok because most of the general community is Christian and most parents in the area already apply christian ideals in their homes.

The Muslim school wouldnt be burned down, too few people would send their kids there. they would recieve too little funding, so it would close down and eventually people would start rumors that it was haunted by an ancient suicide bomber.

-The drug war

First of all, I agree with the point in the OP, but the metaphore is flawed. The Christian school is ok because most of the general community is Christian and most parents in the area already apply christian ideals in their homes.

The Muslim school wouldnt be burned down, too few people would send their kids there. they would recieve too little funding, so it would close down and eventually people would start rumors that it was haunted by an ancient suicide bomber.

You seem to be misunderstanding what the "seperation of church and state" means. It doesn't mean that people should ignore their religious beliefs (and religiously based moral beliefs) when making laws. It merely means that the *govt* may not favor one religion over another

-The drug war

Oh yeah, it's all true. :roll:

The world, even whole Universe, runs on calculation,
A French princess once said: “let them eat cake” when she came to know that peasants had no breads!!!

She reacted empathically on the suffering of peasants!!!

The decision or reaction based on one’s empathy may be wrong or defective or positive,

A corporation will react: “Look! we didn’t shut down whole business, we just removed 500 workers!!!” This is empathy from the corporation,

Okay, first of all, no French princess ever said "let them eat cake", they werent talking about peasants, so that whole analogy can be scrapped.
It wasnt a French princess, it was the last French Queen Marie Antoinette, and she never actually said that, it was a widespread rumor among the peasants. the people were displeased with the royalty because they were just surviving with all the taxes because of the recession, and the crown desided to spend a huge amount of money Sending the fleet to America. It was more about the troops not eating well, not the peasants.

Meh

It's an issue of morality and ethics.

Meh

-The drug war
And the lulz begin. The war on drugs has nothing to do with religion.

Name one war in American history that was religious in nature.

All of these are influenced by religion.
You got 2 out of 5. One isn't even relevant to anyone except alcoholics who don't plan ahead.

427011_426760650695510_1033073153_n.jpg

The presence of or absence of a God from a person's belief system does not, by itself, incite them to rational or irrational thought.

So I disagree with the premise.

We are currently borrowing 40% of our spending and chalking it up to "our values."

While I reiterate the professions of my dependence upon Heaven, as the source of all public and private blessings, I will observe, that the general prevalence of piety, philanthropy, honesty, industry, and economy seems, in the ordinary course of human affairs, particularly necessary for advancing and confirming the happiness of our country. While all men within our territories are protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences, it is rationally to be expected from them in return, that they will all be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives and the beneficence of their actions; for no man, who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society.
– George Washington, reply to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, May 1789; Sparks 12:152

All these spiffy quotes by people who have been dead for 200 years sounds really great... but are we truly suggesting that these folks were incapable of pandering to their audience? The quote above is George Washington, who was a politician, saying church-y things to church-y people. Also it has nothing to do with lawmaking...

If someone is a more caring and responsible person because of their religion, good on them. But those religion are obviously not less caring or responsible than those with it. And it is still incongruous with the core ideals of this nation to use religion to make rules to compel people to alter their lives or behavior according to anyone's beliefs. People who are motivated to do great things by their religion have a place in politics. God, or rather, our guesses about what god might want of us, have no such place.

All these spiffy quotes by people who have been dead for 200 years sounds really great... but are we truly suggesting that these folks were incapable of pandering to their audience? The quote above is George Washington, who was a politician, saying church-y things to church-y people. Also it has nothing to do with lawmaking...

If someone is a more caring and responsible person because of their religion, good on them. But those religion are obviously not less caring or responsible than those with it. And it is still incongruous with the core ideals of this nation to use religion to make rules to compel people to alter their lives or behavior according to anyone's beliefs. People who are motivated to do great things by their religion have a place in politics. God, or rather, our guesses about what god might want of us, have no such place.

If you want to say they were pandering that's fine, but it's a double-edge sword that cuts both ways. The those politicians who are against religion could also be pandering. But that's beside the point. The point is that these founders that some wish to turn into non-religious types cannot say that our government was formed under religiously sterile conditions. There was no vacuum created to keep out religious moral values to such an extent that it didn't exist at all. At the very minimum......at the very minimum the People had to be a moral people for this republic to remain strong. Now some fanatics would like to contend over where the morals came from, but given the religious nature of most people at that time, I think we all know. No, I'm not trying to prove we formed a Christian government, but I am trying to establish that the morals in the minds of the People were for the most part derived from Christianity. That's all I'm trying to say here, that unless the People have strong morals or religious values the republic will not last; it will rot from the inside out. People getting elected into office and doing the wrong things for the wrong reasons, demonstates a lack of character and morals. So maybe if you believed you were going to hell for being corrupt and it kept you on the straight and narrow, I dare say it was a good thing. Now I'm trying to say that the Church should be in control or any such thing. If the People have strong moral convictions, it's good.

How does this relate to the OP? Well if the People believe that fundamental rights were bestowed on them by God, they might think twice about trying to undermine those rights. I speak of right in general, not about any certain contemporary issue. I'm talking about honesty, integrity and general decency. Cetainly no religious person is perfect, but without a moral base people would have no respect for anyone. I hope I've conveyed the general message about how I think a moral based (Christianity producing a decent one) is necessary to uphold the Constitution for everyone (even if you're not religious). I realize that some people aren't going to see it my way or will nitpick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom