• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God Has No Place In Politics

This was a few days ago but not that far back so I'll still go ahead and note how ridiculous of a position this is. You understand someone voting their conviction and when many have this conviction, it's a problem to do so when you do not have this conviction? What exactly is your solution here?
That is interesting. You are asking for clarification because you did not understand what I meant, but you know enough to label the position ridiculous. I suppose the irony of that has not dawned on you yet.
I do not any any problem with people vote their convictions or when they have them or whatever. I have a problem with the result of their vote being based solely on their conviction and serving only that purpose. fortunately, the Constitution has provisions for those events.

"ONE NATION UNDER GOD, FOR WHICH IT STANDS"
Awesome words.

You all know it, and were that sentance comes from.....
Those that don't, well then your in that same 'No Clue' catigory along with Obama.

OK, we all know dixie's a poe. But anyway....

"One nation, under God, for which it stands" is not a sentence in the Pledge of Allegiance. Even if it were, the Pledge is not a law.

"ONE NATION UNDER GOD, FOR WHICH IT STANDS"
Awesome words.

You all know it, and were that sentance comes from.....
Those that don't, well then your in that same 'No Clue' catigory along with Obama.
I am curious, what do you call one who can't spell for ****, can't differentiate between similar sounding words (they are called homophones) can't construct a coherent sentence and is clueless about the Declaration of Independence?

Yes at times it does and that is why it is a problem.

Why?

I am sure you would welcome sharia law with open arms.

About as much as you'd welcome anarchy? That's NOT saying that decisions sans religion equal anarchy. It's simply a fringe position I opted to choose much like you did. The country has lasted all this time with people voting based upon their religious beliefs and we don't have sharia law. How do you suppose that has happened?

That is interesting. You are asking for clarification because you did not understand what I meant, but you know enough to label the position ridiculous. I suppose the irony of that has not dawned on you yet.
I do not any any problem with people vote their convictions or when they have them or whatever. I have a problem with the result of their vote being based solely on their conviction and serving only that purpose. fortunately, the Constitution has provisions for those events.

No, it seems I was correct in my labeling of your position. When presented with the oppertunity to vote on the death penalty, I'll vote no because my convictions are that nobody has a right to take the life of another (outside of self defense). If I'm on the majority, nothing in the Constitution is going to stop that from becoming law.

I think I get where this guy comes from in a way. I dont think he worded it right. But I think what he means is religion likes to force its way to some things. You even have some that take it so far they disrupt the funeral's of dead soldiers to preach nonsense about how a none existent god hates America. And the dead soldier who fought for their right to talk this senseless bull is going to a none existent place of terror (usually referred to as "hell") cause he fights for a country that allows gays in society. I live in the "bible" belt and Jesus some how is mentioned in some way. Plus, another factor I learned form my AP American Government and Politics class is Agents of Socialization. These are outside factors that affect our individual political ideology. Examples of these agents are schools, work, family, and religion.
And then you have those Christians carrying out the funeral wishing peace and blessing upon the soul of the departed soldier.

I think I get where this guy comes from in a way. I dont think he worded it right. But I think what he means is religion likes to force its way to some things. You even have some that take it so far they disrupt the funeral's of dead soldiers to preach nonsense about how a none existent god hates America. And the dead soldier who fought for their right to talk this senseless bull is going to a none existent place of terror (usually referred to as "hell") cause he fights for a country that allows gays in society. I live in the "bible" belt and Jesus some how is mentioned in some way. Plus, another factor I learned form my AP American Government and Politics class is Agents of Socialization. These are outside factors that affect our individual political ideology. Examples of these agents are schools, work, family, and religion.

And then you have those Christians carrying out the funeral wishing peace and blessing upon the soul of the departed soldier.

Two sides,same coin.
Just saying.

Just saying what?
That christianity has followers that do very bad things,and has followers that do very good things.Just like any other belief system.

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. ~ Mohandas Gandhi

All religions are better on paper than in practice.
If that's what Gandhi really believed, he was an idiot, and didn't know the first thing about Christianity or Christ. Christ said, if you do it to one of mine, you've done it to me. Therefore Gandhi, hated Christ.

If that's what Gandhi really believed, he was an idiot, and didn't know the first thing about Christianity or Christ. Christ said, if you do it to one of mine, you've done it to me. Therefore Gandhi, hated Christ.

I hope you are not implying that all Christians are like Christ.
Or that you are qualified to determine who knows what about Christianity.

Because at times some will attempt to use voting as the means to impose their religious views on those who do not share their beliefs.

About as much as you'd welcome anarchy?
Why? If I understand you right you do not object to purely religion motivated voting.

The country has lasted all this time with people voting based upon their religious beliefs and we don't have sharia law. How do you suppose that has happened?
It happened because votes alone do not mean much, the Constitution does and when votes contravene or violate it they are invalidated.

No, it seems I was correct in my labeling of your position. When presented with the oppertunity to vote on the death penalty, I'll vote no because my convictions are that nobody has a right to take the life of another (outside of self defense). If I'm on the majority, nothing in the Constitution is going to stop that from becoming law.
Only if it also meets constitutional requirements. Say for instance there was a constitutional amendment on marriage, defining it a solely between a man and a woman. If adopted, states could not vote on gay marriage even if everyone wanted it.

Brilliant reasoning...

You know,If "American" points at Ghandi and calls him an idiot for making a bigoted statement,and I have already busted "American" twice for making bigoted statements himself,what does that make him?
Sometimes words are best left unspoken, especially when both sides of the discussion know them and of course there are forum rules...

Because at times some will attempt to use voting as the means to impose their religious views on those who do not share their beliefs.

All laws force one sides beliefs upon others. Why is it O.K. only when you approve?

Why? If I understand you right you do not object to purely religion motivated voting.

I do not object to anyone voting for whatever their motivation is.

It happened because votes alone do not mean much, the Constitution does and when votes contravene or violate it they are invalidated.

If votes alone do not mean much, you have nothing to worry about.

Only if it also meets constitutional requirements. Say for instance there was a constitutional amendment on marriage, defining it a solely between a man and a woman. If adopted, states could not vote on gay marriage even if everyone wanted it.

Right. And?

Islam opposes all of the things that you list that Christianity condemns.

All laws force one sides beliefs upon others.
You are free to believe that.

Why is it O.K. only when you approve?
I am not sure if you are being purposely obtuse here or lack reading comprehension skills. Where have I said anything amounting to this?

I do not object to anyone voting for whatever their motivation is.
I really don't give a **** what you object to.

If votes alone do not mean much, you have nothing to worry about.
Who said that I was worried?

So we can drop this idea that it's wrong for people to vote their faith. Good.
I did not say that either, but I am still not worried. Bottom line is that going to the polls with nothing more than my God says so is not right, not in the US. Mind you it is not illegal nor should it be, but it still is not right.

Back
Top Bottom