• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God Has No Place In Politics

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
-No sale of alcohol on Sundays in some states
-Illegality of abortion in some states
-Illegality of gay marriage in some states
-The drug war
-Excuse for abusing our military power (god's will and all that bull****)

All of these are influenced by religion. And I thought there was supposed to be a separation of church and state. Guess not. And it's all based on christianity too. If a school encouraged christian ideals, nobody would have a problem with it. And yet, if a school encourages Muslim ideals, an angry mob would burn it to the ground. And you all know it's true.

People are allowed to vote as their religion compels them... unfortunately.

-The drug war

All of these are influenced by religion. And I thought there was supposed to be a separation of church and state. Guess not. And it's all based on christianity too. If a school encouraged christian ideals, nobody would have a problem with it. And yet, if a school encourages Muslim ideals, an angry mob would burn it to the ground. And you all know it's true.

You don't like laws based on religion, you can always vote with your feet. Besides there's also plenty of senseless laws that have little to do with religion.

Just because there are senseless laws doesn't mean we should have to tolerate the senseless religious ones.

Just because there are senseless laws doesn't mean we should have to tolerate the senseless religious ones.

I'm not religious and I am hardly a supporter of organized religion, but it's a fact of life that religious sensibilities are intertwined with politics. Religion is as much of a factor as culture, personal taste, group attitudes, etc.

-The drug war

First of all, abortion is legal in every state.

Of your list, the only one I think comes only from religion is the Sunday liquor ban in some states.

All the rest? You don't have to be Christian: you can be prolife, a homophobe, opposed to hard drugs just because, or a dove. There's nothing particularly religious about any of those except the Sunday ban.

People with religious morals have every right to vote and have their opinions placed into law. Whether your political beliefs come from secular thought or religious thought, both are equal in a democracy and both should not be denied representation. Religious morals and beliefs absolutely have their place in politics right along side secular morals and beliefs.

Of your list, the only one I think comes only from religion is the Sunday liquor ban in some states.

I live in one of those states, and I think that's dumb. Ironically, we're a pretty solid blue state when it comes to Presidential elections.

You would deny the religious the right to be equally represented in politics?

-The drug war

What muslims school has been burned to the ground?

Lord Bless us as we go off to kill tens of thousands of your creation for control of their oil.

Amen.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Amen

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Amen

Agree with this quote, but disagree with the belief that religious folks shouldn't have a voice, or that religious attitudes shouldn't play a part, in our democracy.

People with religious morals have every right to vote and have their opinions placed into law. Whether your political beliefs come from secular thought or religious thought, both are equal in a democracy and both should not be denied representation. Religious morals and beliefs absolutely have their place in politics right along side secular morals and beliefs.

Nonfactual opinions have no place in the legal world, it's an attempt to turn fantasy into reality.
Which can't happen, no matter how much you want it to be.

Facts > opinions any and every time

Last edited:
People are allowed to vote as their religion compels them... unfortunately.

As long as they don't impose their morals on others, they should have the right to vote whatever way they want, for whatever reasons (even though I really don't like it).
I'm a pretty steadfast atheist and I really don't see a problem with religion so long as people don't confuse it with science and do me the same courtesy I do them - I won't impose my morals or beliefs on you if you don't do the same to me.

Last edited:
I always thought it was completely stupid to ban liquor sales on sunday. I could still buy a 750 of JD on saturday and get smashed on sunday. I think the stores should be open when the owner wants them open.

As long as they don't impose their morals on others, they should have the right to vote whatever way they want, for whatever reasons (even though I really don't like it).
I'm a pretty steadfast atheist and I really don't see a problem with religion so long as people don't confuse it with science and do me the same courtesy I do them - I won't impose my morals or beliefs on you if you don't do the same to me.

I have no trouble with the religious voting. Everyone has a right to vote. When they get together in their gaggles and try and impose their morals on others is where the problem happens. It's not an issue with reigion as much as it is with ignorance, which is equally damaging and often the same.

You would deny the religious the right to be equally represented in politics?

I would. I don't believe that all viewpoints are created equal, and not all issues should be up to a democratic vote either. Only individuals have rights in my opinion, not groups. If 100 citizens of a community think alcohol should be illegal and 5 disagree, 100 citizens have the option of not drinking and 5 have the option to drink. Zero citizens have the right to ban alcohol since the act itself is not infringing on their rights. They are still free not to consume alcohol.

What then is the source of right and wrong...good or bad...and morality? What component of the human brain porduces guilt and morality? What is guilt except a consious understanding of a violation of right and wrong? ANd once we eliminate that aspect of society...where does the rational justification come for welfare and subsistence programs (very counter-evolutionary) come from? Societies collective consience has to come from somewhere.

The constitution does not demand a society free of religion. Its very clear...no offical and sancitioned state religion, no violation of the free practice OF religion. Beyond that it is interpretation.

I personally believe that God is the source of everything good in my life. But again, I dare not use the One Ring (government).

I would. I don't believe that all viewpoints are created equal, and not all issues should be up to a democratic vote either. Only individuals have rights in my opinion, not groups. If 100 citizens of a community think alcohol should be illegal and 5 disagree, 100 citizens have the option of not drinking and 5 have the option to drink. Zero citizens have the right to ban alcohol since the act itself is not infringing on their rights. They are still free not to consume alcohol.
The 100 citizens have a right to form a community where alcohol is illegal. The 5 citizens who want to drink don't have the right to infringe on THEIR rights. Want the option to drink? Live somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom