• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God/Godless Purpose/No Purpose

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It's been posted numerous times around here from some theists.

"There would be no purpose/meaning to life if there was no god."

What purpose/meaning is there with a god?
What would you lose if you found out there wasn't a god?

What's that "purpose/meaning" you speak of if you utter that phrase?

If god is responsible for your purpose/meaning, what is it exactly that god is responsible for?

Or, what do you suppose the atheist is missing out on because they don't have that "purpose/meaning"?

The purpose of life is to enjoy the time you have while you have it. We all get to choose what we want our lives to be about and if you feel like wasting this one in hopes of gaining perks in the next life, that's your prerogative. I choose to make my life about enhancing the happiness of me, my family and my friends, no supernatural promises necessary.

This atheist's life has been full of purpose and meaning. No imaginary being neccesary.

The purpose of life is what people choose to make purposeful with or without deities.

There's a valid thought-process that since atheists do not believe in "eternal life", that they actually value and place more purpose on this one life we have than those who believe in afterlife.

Kind like if you believe you'll live for a few more decades every dinner you eat won't be as special, but if you knew that the dinner you were going to eat tonight would be your last you'd really make something special of it wouldn't you?

It's about the afterlife. (although some Christians as well as some jews seem to make nothing of it, which begs the question, what is their ultimate purpose?)

It's about the afterlife. (although some Christians as well as some jews seem to make nothing of it, which begs the question, what is their ultimate purpose?)

Afterlife?

People determine their ultimate purpose for themselves. For example you have decided that yours is to write batty religious posts on DP.

It's about the afterlife.

Define your concept of "afterlife", then please prove such a thing exists.

One note though - you can't use passages or quotes from any kind of "religious text" as your proof.

Define your concept of "afterlife", then please prove such a thing exists.

One note though - you can't use passages or quotes from any kind of "religious text" as your proof.
:)

The Qur'an is a miracle.

It's that too.

Very good, @Zyzygy — you might just pass the course. ;)

The 'How To Believe In A Book Of Fiction' course? The 'Please Check Your Logical and Critical Faculties At The Door' course? You should try the 'How To Answer A Straight Question With A Straight Answer' course. Now, all atheists think that the world is evil. Is that merely your uninformed opinion or do you have proof of the statement? Be brave and answer without evasion or diversion. If it is merely your uninformed opinion then I will have no problem with the statement.

Last edited:
You'll never answer even a simple question coherently will you?
You'd rather deflect with nonsense.

Again, a cowardly approach to debate.

Another identikit theist. Deja vu.

You made this statement.

How the hell are we supposed to discuss anything regarding that statement if you won't tell me anything at all about this "afterlife" you speak of?
Are there 72 virgins there?

When all you do is post this:

:)

The Qur'an is a miracle.

You basically state you refuse to even discuss the very thing you brought to the table.

You made this statement.

How the hell are we supposed to discuss anything regarding that statement if you won't tell me anything at all about this "afterlife" you speak of?
Are there 72 virgins there?

When all you do is post this:

You basically state you refuse to even discuss the very thing you brought to the table.

Perhaps Valery does not realize that this is a debate and discussion site.

Perhaps a hint of Taoism in that post? :mrgreen:

Probably not - but none the less, I completely agree.

What little I ever knew of Taoism I have long since forgotten.

It's been posted numerous times around here from some theists.

"There would be no purpose/meaning to life if there was no god."

What purpose/meaning is there with a god?
What would you lose if you found out there wasn't a god?

What's that "purpose/meaning" you speak of if you utter that phrase?

If god is responsible for your purpose/meaning, what is it exactly that god is responsible for?

Or, what do you suppose the atheist is missing out on because they don't have that "purpose/meaning"?

I have never seen that claim made.

I have never seen that claim made.

It's been made numerous times, including just the other day. It's why this thread exists.
Pretty sure it was Valery who posted it most recently.

Believe me. It's been posted more than once.

It's been made numerous times, including just the other day. It's why this thread exists.
Pretty sure it was Valery who posted it most recently.

Believe me. It's been posted more than once.
Actually that was not what my thread was about. :roll: You're just triggered too easily. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom