• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God/Godless Purpose/No Purpose

Actually that was not what my thread was about. :roll: You're just triggered too easily. :shrug:

I didn't say you had a thread about it.

Reading comprehension dude....reading comprehension.

People determine their ultimate purpose for themselves. For example you have decided that yours is to write batty religious posts on DP.
Perhaps a hint of Taoism in that post? :mrgreen:
Probably not - but none the less, I completely agree.

Taoism is dope and I draw a lot of my own personal philosophy out of it. You and you alone are in charge of your own happiness and for defining meaning in your life.

It's been posted numerous times around here from some theists.

"There would be no purpose/meaning to life if there was no god."

What purpose/meaning is there with a god?
What would you lose if you found out there wasn't a god?

What's that "purpose/meaning" you speak of if you utter that phrase?

If god is responsible for your purpose/meaning, what is it exactly that god is responsible for?

Or, what do you suppose the atheist is missing out on because they don't have that "purpose/meaning"?

This is one of the many lies the sanctimonious believers need to tell themselves to pretend they are morally superior.

It's about the afterlife. (although some Christians as well as some jews seem to make nothing of it, which begs the question, what is their ultimate purpose?)

Whatever it is, it doesn't concern you.

I had someone on this forum...won't name names...who asked me what was the point, if there was no burning hell? I kid you not...

It's about the afterlife. (although some Christians as well as some jews seem to make nothing of it, which begs the question, what is their ultimate purpose?)

To live life

Exactly. What is the purpose of an afterlife, or "in" the afterlife?

Whatever it is, it doesn't concern you.
It does. As a Muslim I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.

Wouldn't you tell someone who was about to cross the road, that a car was coming, if it was? If you can see them walking blindly, having no idea where they are going?

If you didn't care, you would be evil.

To live life
I hope not. Satan tempts us, but his promises are lies. Atheists run from one passion to another mindlessly, and then they die having achieved nothing.

I hope not. Satan tempts us, but his promises are lies. Atheists run from one passion to another mindlessly, and then they die having achieved nothing.

I have not seen any indication that Satan exists more than as just an allegory. Christians and Muslims got the entire concept wrong anyway

I had someone on this forum...won't name names...who asked me what was the point, if there was no burning hell? I kid you not...
I don't think it was me, but there's something to it. If no one is punished in the afterlife, how is it fair that you work hard to do good and they commit sins without repentance and either they get the same as you, or they don't get the reward but neither a punishment?

Think of raising a child. If you tell him that he will do himself a favour by studying well, taking care of cleanliness and treating others well and then leave him to it, mentioning only that if he does as asked, he will receive a reward. If, when the child begins to slip to bad behaviour, failing to do school work, neglecting cleanliness and beginning to treat other people poorly, you don't punish him — you only remind him of the reward. Do you think that would work?

I have not seen any indication that Satan exists more than as just an allegory. Christians and Muslims got the entire concept wrong anyway
They got wrong the concept of that which doesn't exist? Tell me more

They got wrong the concept of that which doesn't exist? Tell me more

Why, the concept (it's just an allegory anyway) is the the function of Satan is to provide bad choices to man kind, not to corrupt mankind, like Christians and Muslims believe, but rather provide bad choices so man can reject the bad choices in an exercise of free will, and therefore lead a more sanctified life and get closer to God. Without having the opportunity to choose bad, you can't choose good either. Angels (of which Ha_Satan) is one, do not have free will, but are rather subject to God.

No, it's a book.

Yes it is, hence the reason that in my needle categorized library the koran is next to the Bible and the collected tales of the Grimm brothers. Same category should stay together. A book is a book is a book.

Joey

Why, the concept (it's just an allegory anyway) is the the function of Satan is to provide bad choices to man kind, not to corrupt mankind, like Christians and Muslims believe, but rather provide bad choices so man can reject the bad choices in an exercise of free will, and therefore lead a more sanctified life and get closer to God. Without having the opportunity to choose bad, you can't choose good either. Angels (of which Ha_Satan) is one, do not have free will, but are rather subject to God.
And you believe in this? Where is such a belief from? Why are you convinced it is the correct one?

Do you acknowledge that people frequently fail to reject the bad choices and that there is corruption among mankind? Is that in harmony with what you have said?

You think satan is one of the angels? It's true angels don't have free will which is why the claim of Christians that Satan is a fallen angel, is contradictory to the very nature of angels and the fact that they are unable to sin or disobey God.

"“The fallen angels rebelled and became evil angels. Satan is such an angel.” God created all things, including the angels. He “saw all that he had made, and it was very good” (Genesis 1:31). Satan, then, was originally good too."

Was Satan an Angel?

I asked you that because I wanted to see if you knew. You don't always know what your own dogma means.

I don't think it was me, but there's something to it. If no one is punished in the afterlife, how is it fair that you work hard to do good and they commit sins without repentance and either they get the same as you, or they don't get the reward but neither a punishment?

Think of raising a child. If you tell him that he will do himself a favour by studying well, taking care of cleanliness and treating others well and then leave him to it, mentioning only that if he does as asked, he will receive a reward. If, when the child begins to slip to bad behaviour, failing to do school work, neglecting cleanliness and beginning to treat other people poorly, you don't punish him — you only remind him of the reward. Do you think that would work?

And what about later, in the after-life, as you call it...what then will keep you on the straight and narrow, if it's not a love for the truth of God and a hate for what is bad? Jehovah God will only give everlasting life to those who've shown that love of truth and hate for bad in this this life...otherwise, your conduct will not last and that world will be no different than this one...

Atheists run from one passion to another mindlessly, and then they die having achieved nothing.

You've clearly and absolutely proved you know nothing about atheists, or atheism for that matter.

It's also clear you don't seem to understand that you don't get it.

Let me try to help you understand.

The absolute absurdity and ignorance of the statement I quotes above is equal to this:

"All Muslims are terrorists."

Think about that. Reflect on it. Consider what you've posted multiple times about atheists. Those two statements are equivalent in their ignorance.

"Atheists run from one passion to another mindlessly, and then they die having achieved nothing." = "All Muslims are terrorists."

Might it be possible you start to understand this?

It does. As a Muslim I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.

Wouldn't you tell someone who was about to cross the road, that a car was coming, if it was? If you can see them walking blindly, having no idea where they are going?

If you didn't care, you would be evil.

I couldn't care less what brand of religious snake soil you've chosen. It's none of my business. And my refusal to buy any kind of snake oil is my business and mine alone. I also note what a sign of weakness faith it shows that believers constantly need to recruit new ones. Atheists seem to be a big threat to believers for no other reason that we're quite happy without a belief in myths, don't need them and get along quite well. You might want to consider why you all seem to need so much group support to sustain your beliefs.

And what about later, in the after-life, as you call it...what then will keep you on the straight and narrow, if it's not a love for the truth of God and a hate for what is bad? Jehovah God will only give everlasting life to those who've shown that love of truth and hate for bad in this this life...otherwise, your conduct will not last and that world will be no different than this one...

Yahooo, we got a Muslim and a Christian going after each other up there. Tell us again how atheists have it all wrong.

As a Muslim I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.

"As a __________ I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way."

That blank can be filled in with hundreds of other religions.

As a Hindu I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As a Buddhist I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As a Mormon I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As a Jehovah's Witness I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As a Jew I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As a Shintoist I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As a Catholic I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.
As an Amish I will tell people if they are misguided and how to find the right way.

You've got absolutely zero evidence to prove your way of believing is any more correct than theirs.

That's why it's called a "belief".

You should stop with the ranting and raving about Atheists and concentrate on converting those who already have the mental capacity to "believe" in the wrong god.
Would be much less work and there's far more of them to convert.

So tell the christians, jews, hindus, buddhists, and all others why THEY are wrong in their beliefs. Stop playing games with atheists. Go for the BIG WIN.

Yahooo, we got a Muslim and a Christian going after each other up there. Tell us again how atheists have it all wrong.

Exaggerate much? In other words, lying...being dishonest...a difference of opinion is not "going after each other"...:roll:

And you believe in this? Where is such a belief from? Why are you convinced it is the correct one?

Do you acknowledge that people frequently fail to reject the bad choices and that there is corruption among mankind? Is that in harmony with what you have said?

You think satan is one of the angels? It's true angels don't have free will which is why the claim of Christians that Satan is a fallen angel, is contradictory to the very nature of angels and the fact that they are unable to sin or disobey God.

"“The fallen angels rebelled and became evil angels. Satan is such an angel.” God created all things, including the angels. He “saw all that he had made, and it was very good” (Genesis 1:31). Satan, then, was originally good too."

Was Satan an Angel?

From Do Jews Believe in Satan? | My Jewish Learning

Only twice in the Hebrew Bible does Satan appear as a specific figure, as HaSatan — the Satan. One is a brief reference in the Book of Zecharia, where the high priest is described as standing before a divine angel while Satan stands at his right to accuse him. The other is in the Book of Job, where Satan has a central role in the story as an angel in the divine court. According to the biblical narrative, Satan — here too commonly translated as the Adversary — seems to urge God to create hardship for his righteous servant Job, arguing that Job is faithful only on account of his wealth and good fortune. Take those away, Satan claims, and Job will blaspheme. God permits Satan to take away Job’s wealth, kill his family and afflict him physically, none of which induces Job to rebel against God.

And from Who is Satan – Derech HaTorah

Satan, or more properly, HaSatan is an angel who resides in the heavenly realm. HaSatan means the accuser or the adversary. The term Satan or HaSatan is used in three different contexts within the Tanach.1

First, as an enemy in war as seen in I Kings 5:18: But now יהוה my God has given me peace on all sides, without opponents (שָׂטָן) or problems.2

Second, as an accuser before the seat of judgment as seen in Psalm 109:6: Set a wicked man over him, and let an accuser (וְשָׂטָן) stand at his right side.3

Third, as an adversary in the general sense of the term as seen in II Samuel 19:23: But David said, “Is this your business, sons of Tzeruyah, that you should oppose (לְשָׂטָן) me today? Should any Yisraelite be put to death? I certainly know that today I am [again] king over Yisrael!”2

As a proper character, Satan appears only once in the Tanach – in the Book of Job. He is depicted as an angel who mocks the piety of the righteous Job.4

Job 1:6: One day, the angels presented themselves before God, and Satan (הַשָּׂטָן) also came with them.3

From the dialogue in the opening chapter of the Book of Job we see that HaSatan is a member of the angelic hosts of the abode of God and has no independent power.

Job 1:7, 12: God said to Satan (הַשָּׂטָן), “Where are you coming from?” Satan (הַשָּׂטָן) answered God, “From going roaming the earth and traversing it.” … God said to Satan (הַשָּׂטָן), “Here, you have control over everything he owns; only do not extend your hand against him personally.” So Satan (הַשָּׂטָן) went out from the presence of God.3

From this exchange we see that HaSatan is an angel who watches over the activities of humanity, searching for mankind’s sins and then appearing as their accuser to God. HaSatan is not considered an opponent to God as Christianity teaches. Monotheistic teachings are no more disturbed by the existence of HaSatan than by the presence of other beings that go before God. This view is shown in Zechariah 3:1-2 where HaSatan is described as the adversary of the high priest Joshua.1

Back
Top Bottom